Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

14 miles to Target and back

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday's ride was a new record. Longest distance ever (again) at 14 miles. I think that record is just gonna keep getting broken. Also, I found some hills! Lots of little rollers, and one that was mildly tall that I went down in 3/8 on the way out. Looked back at it at a water stop and said to myself "there's no way you're riding back up that on the way back is there?" I needed a lot of water breaks on the way out, since it was hot. Next time, I need to drink more before the ride and on the way out, cause I got pretty dehydrated on the way there. Meant for the last two miles to Target I walked the bike a lot.

Negotiated a really difficult intersection at Target to get to the store. No crosswalks (ARGH) and left turns across 6 lanes of traffic do not make me happy. I'm getting better in traffic, but this was a stretch for me. The area is still very under construction, so traffic was light. This was good, because the posted limit is 40 mph there and we all know what that means for a driver. I might still be there if the traffic hadn't been so light. They have a nice bike rack by at least one entrance, the loop and post sort with 4 spaces. There are also *benches* outside in shady spots, which I was very grateful for. I got my shopping done (socks and undies), took much advantage of their water fountains, had a snack, and headed home.

I made it to the major intersection on the way back, which of course is now a left turn. This one had crosswalks, and since I needed a bit of a break, I made good use of them. Then... that scary looking hill. I didn't end up walking an inch of it. Granny gears and stubbornness to the rescue! Also water. If I'd been as dehydrated as I was when I got to Target, I wouldn't have gotten up the thing. The rest of the way home was pretty smooth sailing, tho I did get buzzed by a truck passing me on the right to turn.

I had enough energy afterwards to make dinner, and I have energy today to hit the farmer's market by bike. So 14 miles is definitely within my capacity . Total time was around 3 and a half hours, which I think is pretty good given how long I had to dig through the racks to find things. And I'm giving myself a mental cookie for passing up a bag of Cheetos in favor of the trail mix I'd brought with. Cheetos = 450 calories. Trail mix = 220 calories. Also, the trail mix had protein I needed and hadn't got much of at lunch.

The route was 40mph county roads, with wide well kept shoulders/bike lanes. It looked a lot more intimidating on a map than it really was.

*passes Gatorade all 'round, since a lot of people have achieved big things this week*

you'll be doing centuries before you know it.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Good for you, keep up the good work!!!
    Donna

Hoooray!!!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

WHOO HOOOOO, way to go!! It all just gets easier and the distances longer. So far 15 miles has been the farthest I have gone so far but that has been more limited by time then by ability to go further.

Well done... but I think you should add in a couple of bonus miles to the total cause of the intersection and negotiating the roads!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    GREAT JOB.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nah, most of the drivers were very courteous. One buzz on a trip *that* long is all there was. I would have been happier if both intersections had crosswalks but puzzling over an intersection time doesn't really count as miles .

Congrats! Good job on the intersections! I would've been terrified. We do not have anything other than stop sign intersections around here, and if I'm making a left, I'm even scared of some of those! It's nice to hear about courteous drivers too. Although I have encountered some courteous drivers, they seem to be out-numbered by jerks.

Gee, I wish I could ride to a Target! I'd have to ride about 45 miles each way. I guess that won't be happening any time soon!

Congratulations on your ride! A couple of weekends ago, my DH rode to Wal-mart, among other places. It was a first for me and a bit intimidating with the traffic in the parking lot and on the road to get in and out, but nothing bad happened, I ran in and bought ibuprofen while DH guarded our bikes, and we were on our way. Fun!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow