Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Geocaching?

Geocaching?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone here do it? I am sooooooooo hooked on it. It's like playing Zelda on gameboy in realtime, without the fights of course. I love the ones with puzzles that you have to figure out or the scavenger hunt ones.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Darn tootin'!

Handlebar mount for the GPSr, "bikecaching"!

I like the puzzle ones, too. Or the ones where the hints are puzzles (so you don't get a free ride if you don't find the cache right off)

I don't have a fondness for virtuals or micros.

What's your sig item? Mine is a zipper pull made with macrame hemp twine and Fimo beads, with the large bead being a eTrex Yellow. (cuz my GPSr is a Yellow)

I use a gazetteer and the bare-bones GPSr. No electronic maps or electronic "driving" instructions.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

It's fun for me and a great way to sneak the kids into a decent hike before they realize what hit 'em.

No signature thingy for me, usually trade kid toys for kid toys if anything...sometimes the 4 year old even finds them before everyone else. Sometimes it's a bit difficult as I've got a GPS that was free and only does 2 decimals, no maps or such. So far it suffices.

I like the puzzles too and the other day we did a podcast cache, where you download a sort of guided tour into your ipod and use that to get to the cache, only using the GPS to get to the starting point. I don't own an ipod or other such so listened at home, typed verbatim and read it out loud to the kids as we went along. Kinda cool.
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

we traded kid toys when SKnot was a young'un. Then he got into collecting sig items, and we created our own. The last couple years I haven't been able to get him to go caching.... snif.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

No signature item yet. I'll have to think about it. I have a Garmin Venture I purchased on Amazon, and it works great. I WAS using it to keep from getting lost on my bike. I have a terrible sense of direction and it has saved me in unfamiliar territory several times.

I also think this is a useful classroom tool, (I teach math, but I can see it in upper elementary, geography, etc!) and now with the geocaching? I'll have to hide a cache of treats on the track and let my students use the GPS to find it.

And finally, IPOD CACHING?!?!?!?! I'm heading straight over to find out about this one. I picture myself in a few years riding a bike with dozens of electronic devices hanging from a specially made bright yellow vest.

By the way have you seen this? geogear T-shirt
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

It's called the Manchester Podcache by dadoo2. I don't know if there are any others like it....
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

I won a geocaching t-shirt at a gc rodeo/picnic. It was way too big so I left it in a cache a few months later.

But if it had been a t-shirt like the one you posted the link for Uforgot, I'd've kept that puppy!

I've heard of teachers who have their students set up travel bugs.