Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Getting Grandma a Townie?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My DH's grandma is recently widowed and mentioned she would love a bike to run into town on. She is in her 70's and has knee problems so we immediately thought- TOWNIE! She just wants to pedal around and ride a bike similar to what she had years ago. Nothing too fancy and we explained the Flat Foot Technology which she really liked the sound of.

We were thinking of asking everyone to chip in at Christmas (she has 4 kids and 5 grown grandchildren) to get her a bike. I just didn't realize there were so many types of Townies! I am thinking the Townie 3 would be good because she would have a few gears but nothing too crazy to confuse her and we would have trouble convincing the family a bike was worth more than $400 (ruling out the sleek Amsterdam). DH's mom is convinced she would ride it daily though.

Anyone have any input on the Townies?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    No input on the bike- but what a great gift! Wouldn't that be great to get her out and about around town. How sweet!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    My DH's grandma is recently widowed and mentioned she would love a bike to run into town on. She is in her 70's and has knee problems so we immediately thought- TOWNIE! She just wants to pedal around and ride a bike similar to what she had years ago. Nothing too fancy and we explained the Flat Foot Technology which she really liked the sound of.

Anyone have any input on the Townies?

My mom (66) got a Townie about 2 years ago. Rode it a few times, now it sits in the garage. She rides her recumbent trike (that I told her to get in the first place) about 30 miles/week and loves it. Bottom line for her is she felt unstable on the bike.
    If your grandma has no stability issues, the Townie sounds like a great life improving gift! If stability is an issue, check out a recumbent trike. On the other hand, if she has mobility issues, the Townie would be perfect and the trike might be difficult.
    Can you take her to an LBS to try it out in the parkinglot first?
    Also, with knee issues, make sure the fit is right, no matter what she gets and get her to build up slowly so as to not inflame the knee.
    No realy input on the Townie, other than the stability issue, my mom liked hers a lot.

Ha! My DD (Dear Dad!) is also looking at a Townie - he's 78, and also has knee issues.

He wants some gears so he can get up hills more easily, but he also needs a bike with hand brakes, because he likes to take his feet off the pedals, ready to hit the ground, way before he's come to a complete stop. So, no coaster brakes for Dad.

We went and test rode one two weeks ago when he was visiting me. He was having a hoot in the parking lot at REI. I had a hoot watching him!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I'm afraid I have no input on the townie, but what an inspirational thread!

There is an old woman in our town who is out on her bike ALL the time. Big smile on her face!

On Sunday's Shasta ride, I was talking to a guy and we were agreeing that our forties were the best yet of all our decades. Then he said...yeah, but it will go downhill after 50. I said, NO WAY! God willing, I'm going to be out doing this at 80!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Knotts Mom is thinking townie. I saw pictures of the Amsterdam, cool bike
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Yup. My mom is thinking Townie 7D ($340) or Townie 21 ($390). She has foot and balance issues. A coaster brake would be a disaster for her, because of the feet. And the Townie 7 with the internal gearing was just too darn expensive.

Hopefully she and I will go shopping soon!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I hope that I am still looking for a bike to ride in 20 years....
    A few weeks ago, I went on a ride led by an 86 year old man . It was inspiring to say the least. And, he was talking about doing the ride next year. This guy is older than my father!

My favorite senior citizen biking image is a lady riding up Provo Canyon on a cruiser wearing a big smile, a grey sweatsuit and a PITH HELMET! Maybe it is better than no helmet

As for the Townie, I take my neighbor's 21 speed out for regular exercise and LOVE it! I wouldn't want to go 50 miles at a time on it, though, b/c of how the bike design doesn't do as good a job at distributing my weight as my road bike. But then again, I don't think Townies were made for single, long hauls.

I am trying to talk my 70-something dad into one, but he loves is 30 yo Raleigh.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

My DH bought an Amsterdam to ride around the neighborhood with our daughters. It is so much fun! So different from my "serious" bike that I can't confuse it with a workout. Instead, it's just pure joy.

Poor Grandma has to wait for Christmas??!!! Can't you give her Christmas in August? You could put a bell or a basket under the tree to add to the bike in December!

Another option are the new bikes with the Shimano coaster system, essential an automatic transmission.

Here's the link.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Yup. My mom is thinking Townie 7D ($340) or Townie 21 ($390). She has foot and balance issues. A coaster brake would be a disaster for her, because of the feet. And the Townie 7 with the internal gearing was just too darn expensive.

Hopefully she and I will go shopping soon!
    Knotted,
    I don't want to be an annoying bent pundit - but consider this
    http://www.greenspeed.com.au/anura_main.html
    or one of the many bent tadpole trikes out there. Yes, they are a little geeky, a little low to the ground, and different, but with balance issues, the trike will make a huge difference.
    The anura above is a new product - a delta instead of a tadpole design. It is higher than other bent trikes, still more stable than a bike and, I think, not quite so geeky looking as a traditional adult trike.
    My mom has a tadpole trike and got hers with bars to help her get up - she has no trouble with it.
    Then again, I think my mom's biggest balance issue with her Townie was in her head, she was so sure she was unstable that she made herself unstable.

My mom's big issue is with $$. I had a recumbent, and gently pushed her in that direction, but no-go.

I figure with the Townie, I'm at least getting her into *bikes*.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Townie

Even though I ride a Bianchi road bike, I couldn't help drooling over the beautiful paint jobs on the Townies at my LBS. I especially loved the rose bud print. The yellow and green pokadot one was really nice too. What great kids to want to give her such a special gift. Please post a picture of her on the bike when she gets one.
    "It's not how old you are, it's how you are old."
    SandyLS TeamTE BIANCHISTA

Trikes for older folks

Our passion for cycloing has our parents (in their 60's) wanting to join in. My MIL is heavy set and was petrified of balancing on two wheels. SHe loves her trike!