Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Adjusting Pedals

To disable ads, please log-in.

I thought I read on a thread here, that Shimano pedals could be adjusted. Can anyone offer some words of wisdom?

I have new Shimano clipless pedals, have been practicing on my trainer, clicking in/out. Went out on Sunday early a.m., rode about 2 blocks, tried to stop and fell. No scratches on the the bike.

Never been clipless, used to have a mountain bike with platform pedals. Have a new road bike, so I'm learning to handle a new type of bike and the new pedals. Any words of wisdom on not falling will help too.

Took the bike out in tennis shoes, it flies!

If they are SPD's you should see an allen (hex) screw on the front and back of the pedal. You can loosen those screws ( lefty-loosy righty-tighty) for an easier release. Aslo, keep the spring lubed

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

shimano pedals

Hey there grrls!
    i also have Shimano spd(s). they are starting to squeak. any cure? i think, that is is where the clips attach to pedal. shoe-pedal. could i use soap bar to lube them?
    thanks for the suggestion.......
    soph

i have spd's and the right one has suddenly become very difficult to clip into, i clip and unclip out of the right one a whole lot more than the left one at stop signs and stop lights, sometimes every block i have to unclip, (is unclip the right terminology when it is clipless peddles?)
    i noticed this while riding down a hill on my way to the bike shop to get a new light and itw as very scary being unable to clip into the peddle on a fairly busy street with some pretty fast cars, i took it to the shop and the guy couldn't find anything wrong, he lubed the peddle for me though, it seemed a little better after that but not great, i am wondering if it needs an adjustment now, i have had them for about a year and i didn't know anything about taking care of my bike till very recently so i never lubed them or anything, but i also didn't ride very much in the last year

Originally posted by moonfroggy
    i have spd's and the right one has suddenly become very difficult to clip into, i clip and unclip out of the right one a whole lot more than the left one
    Have you inspected your cleats? As your cleats wear down, they are sometimes harder to clip and unclip. This is because part of the cleat must push the clip open to get in and get out. But if the cleat is worn and rounded off, it can't reach. Also be sure your pedals are clean, adjusted and lubed.
    Last edited by Adventure Girl; 10-07-2004 at 10:24 AM.

Originally posted by Adventure Girl
    Have you inspected your cleats? As your cleats wear down, they are sometimes harder to clip and unclip. This is because part of the cleat must push the clip open to get in and get out. But if the cleat is worn and rounded off, it can't reach. Also be sure your pedals are clean, adjusted and lubed.
    i just looekd at the cleats, the right one looks slightly more worn down than the left but it doesn't look like enough to really make a big difference, i will clean the peddles and lube them and see if that helps, if i am still having problems i will take it back to the shop and ask them about adjusting the peddles, or maybe i will adjust them myself, i am a little afraid of messing them up though

Adjusting Pedals

Syklnsoph wanted to know if she could use a bar of soap to lube her pedals.

Answer: No

I use WD40 after I scrub them with Simple Green diluted and a small scrub brush.

WD40 is a must have in your maintenance bucket. It is great for drying your chain after getting caught in the rain to keep the rust away and it can be used between cleanings to keep those pedals unclipping.

This information is applicable to SPD pedals; since that seems to be the type you've been discussing. Hope this helps.

ACG: The only words of wisdom I can offer regarding not falling is unclip early. You will fall to the side that you are still clipped in on. I usually tell people to practice in the grass before going out on a hard surface. Falling there is a lot nicer than on something hard.
    The next step is practice in an empty parking lot at varying speeds to see how slow you can go while unclipping before you reach falling status. Hard surface but no cars to get ya.
    But everyone has a time when several things come into play all at once and you may still fall at a Stop sign or traffic light until you get the unclip early message. It's just like remembering to move your chain into an easier gear so you aren't starting out at a Stop sign or light in too big a gear.

squeaking pedals

thanks ccc,
    i did some research and didn't use the soap thing, but a dry lube. seems to work just fine. i clean the bike once a week, and use an old dry paintbrush to get into the small spots after each ride, getting the dirt off and out. after 3800 miles i am just guessing the clips are broken in and just starting to wear.
    soph