Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face falling for no reason

To disable ads, please log-in.

this morning DH and i went out for a 20mi ride. we stopped at the LBS to get some upgrades(well. fixes) on DH's bike. when were were getting ready to leave, i started pedaling out and i kinda tipped over. i was right in front of the LBS and fell into their window. i didnt break anything, just ended up drawing attention to myself.

last week, i started pedaling out wearing worn down, slick running shoes(dumb idea, i know this now) my shoe slipped and i ended up hitting the toptube.

i feel like such a dufus.
    Last edited by abvnx; 08-04-2007 at 03:35 PM.
    do not medel in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup

Quote Originally Posted by abvnx View Post

last week, i started pedaling out wearing worn down, slick running shoes(dumb idea, i know this now) my shoe slipped and i ended up hitting the toptube.

i feel like such a dufus.
    Oh my! Hope you din't hurt anything, Artie Johnson
    Throw those shoes out!
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

...and the reason is...

Don't feel like a dufus. There is a better reason. There is ALWAYS a reason :

The reason is technical:
    - your center of gravity went beyond the linear plane originating at your wheels.
    - when this migration occurs, gravity tries to bring the "top weight" into equilibrium, thus drawing the top weight (you ) to the ground
    - this often, but not always, also results in a release of energy (noise) as two solid pieces of matter try to occupy the same space.

Welcome to the club and find humor in your humanity
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

I had one of those leaving my driveway on Wednesday morning before work. I had just clipped in and my rear tire slid out from under me on a patch of weed growing in the cracks. Ouch!

I learned a good lesson though - my shoes unclip themselves just fine when I fall with sufficient force!

Wink

I fell coming up my driveway once and almost hit my head on my own car. Now I stop and unclip in the street and then walk my bike up the drive . . kinda suspicious that it might happen again!!

so, I am new at this, what is a DH and an LBS? I feel dumb asking, but I NEED TO KNOW! BTW-I am laughing at myself right now! I do that sometimes....

Quote Originally Posted by tjf9 View Post
    I learned a good lesson though - my shoes unclip themselves just fine when I fall with sufficient force!

That really is a good lesson, now you won't be too terrified of falling.

Quote Originally Posted by twiggjlm View Post
    so, I am new at this, what is a DH and an LBS? I feel dumb asking, but I NEED TO KNOW! BTW-I am laughing at myself right now! I do that sometimes....
    I laugh at myself a lot too.
    That, as Martha would say, is a good thing.
    DH is dumb husband or darling husband
    LBS is Local Bike Shop
    Last edited by Zen; 08-04-2007 at 07:13 PM.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

my question is - how do we know whether a prticular DH is darling or dumb?

Context. Also sometimes he's both at once.

Quote Originally Posted by tjf9 View Post
    I had one of those leaving my driveway on Wednesday morning before work. I had just clipped in and my rear tire slid out from under me on a patch of weed growing in the cracks. Ouch!

Ha. I almost did this the other morning. I decided to take a quick spin before work because I woke up extra early. Just 20 minutes or so around the neighborhood. Forgot I was clipped in as I was coming up the driveway. Duh. I managed to get out in time, but barely.

And actually, I've been riding clipless for a while and had my first fall yesterday.

I was going to make a left turn and a guy on the side street that I was turning onto zoomed up and went WAY over to the right (his left) side of the street, which wasn't a one-way, so I'm not sure why he did that. My choices were to stop, ride into him, or ride into the parked car to his left. So I decided to stop and let him go, and totally fell. Luckily, I did not get run over by the traffic around me, but I easily could have. This, after 30 wonderful miles and I was less than a half mile away from my house.

DH= Darling Husband ("D" can mean other things )
    SO=Significant Other
    LBS=Local Bike Shop...you know, the one that gives service and assistance
    GF=Girlfriend
    BF=Boyfriend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Silver View Post
    Don't feel like a dufus. There is a better reason. There is ALWAYS a reason :

The reason is technical:
    - your center of gravity went beyond the linear plane originating at your wheels.
    - when this migration occurs, gravity tries to bring the "top weight" into equilibrium, thus drawing the top weight (you ) to the ground
    - this often, but not always, also results in a release of energy (noise) as two solid pieces of matter try to occupy the same space.

Welcome to the club and find humor in your humanity

i like this explanation, it makes me seem like less of a dork
    do not medel in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup

You need a reason to fall? I never have a reason. I sometimes have an explanation, but they're usually too embarrassing to use in public.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Silver View Post
    DH= Darling Husband ("D" can mean other things )
    SO=Significant Other
    LBS=Local Bike Shop...you know, the one that gives service and assistance
    GF=Girlfriend
    BF=Boyfriend
    OMG!! That is great! I don't have a DH but I do have a BF! Sometimes he's a DBF, (dumb boy friend) He doesn't ride a bike tho, his loss!! Anywho, thanks for the help on the acronyms!!

If there was dating advice out there as good as the stuff on this site, I'd be all set!!

OMG!! That is great! I don't have a DH but I do have a BF! Sometimes he's a DBF, (dumb boy friend) He doesn't ride a bike tho, his loss!! Anywho, thanks for the help on the acronyms!!

If there was dating advice out there as good as the stuff on this site, I'd be all set!!
    We have a new one for the dictionary:

DBBF= Dumb Bikeless Boyfriend