Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

2003 Trek 5200 WSD??

To disable ads, please log-in.

My first post! I've been "watching" for over a year, so it's time for a commitment! Been riding a Giant steel frame for ten years or so. Possible "deal" on a 2003 Trek 5200 WSD, 47 cm. My 48 cm Giant has me way too stretched out and I'm tired of the pain. Anyone know about fit on this bike for a person 5'2", 28.5" inseam, kind of short arms and small hands? And what would be a good price for this barely used bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Sloosie View Post
    My first post!
    I'm afraid I'm no help regarding the bike, but welcome, and glad you posted!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Thank you! I appreciate the welcome!

My first post! I've been "watching" for over a year, so it's time for a commitment! Been riding a Giant steel frame for ten years or so. Possible "deal" on a 2003 Trek 5200 WSD, 47 cm. My 48 cm Giant has me way too stretched out and I'm tired of the pain. Anyone know about fit on this bike for a person 5'2", 28.5" inseam, kind of short arms and small hands? And what would be a good price for this barely used bike?
    I test rode this exact bike, same model year and size and have your exact proportions (except that I am 5'2.5", inseam the same as yours). It was a nice bike but a little more stretched out than I like to be (keeping in mind that everyone is different). Plenty of standover with the 650c wheels.

I think the 10 cm stem that was lower than the seat was the main problem. If I had put on a 8 or 9 cm slanted stem that raised the handlebars more, I expect I would have been fine with it. I ended up buying a 46 cm Aegis Swift frame for a song on ebay with a slightly shorter top tube (19.1" vs. 19.7" on the 5200) and putting a 9 cm slanted stem on her, bars even with saddle, and I'm not too stretched out at all.

I'm trying to think what the price on the 5200 was when I rode it (brand new). $2400, maybe. You'll definitely want to test ride it to see about fit before you seriously consider it, but keep in mind that you could change out the stem as I mentioned. The stock saddle (Bontrager) was awful for me, too.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks, Emily! The stretched-out part is what I am most worried about. The price for the bike is $1200 and it evidently was never ridden much. I haven't ridden it yet. My LBS is trying to get me on a Cannondale 44 cm frame and swear it fits me. I feel a little cramped up but the stretched out feeling isn't there. I've never ridden 650 wheels and have read the pros and cons. Thanks for your input!

Thanks, Emily! The stretched-out part is what I am most worried about. The price for the bike is $1200 and it evidently was never ridden much. I haven't ridden it yet. My LBS is trying to get me on a Cannondale 44 cm frame and swear it fits me. I feel a little cramped up but the stretched out feeling isn't there. I've never ridden 650 wheels and have read the pros and cons. Thanks for your input!
    I wouldn't worry a bit about the 650c wheels! I have them on my Aegis, and they ride just great and are lighter than 700c wheels. Sure, they don't come in as many pretty colors, and you have to make sure to carry your own tubes, but they look better (to me) on smaller-framed bikes, and they accelerate fast too.

I'd be more worried about a 44 cm frame with 700c wheels. I know there are gals on here who ride bikes like that, but with my feet (size 7), I'd likely have significant toe overlap a bike built that way. I'd much rather have my wheel size proportional to my frame size. The road bike I had before my Aegis was a 17.5" (44.5 cm) Terry Isis with a 19" top tube and a 24" front wheel (to avoid toe overlap), and it fit me fine, though the stem was a bit too short (6.5 cm). If I'd put on a longer stem, it would have fit perfectly.

And if you feel too scrunched up on the Cannondale, you may well be, so don't let the LBS talk you into a bike that doesn't feel right. Try the 5200 and report back. That's a good price if it's in excellent condition. You might be able to negotiate and get it for less, too. Offer $1000 (if it fits you and you love it), and you just might get it for $1100!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily, thanks -

I've never talked to anyone who rode 650's, but I figured I could carry enough tubes to get me through most of my rides. thank you! I'll keep you posted.