Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Waterford Bikes

Waterford Bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone here had any direct dealings with the Waterford plant? If so...positive? negative?

Here's my dilemma. We have a large LBS that fits and sells Waterfords and other custom bikes, but the shop's quality is very inconsistent. We also have a tiny LBS that is more consistent, knows me (and my idiosyncrasies), but doesn't sell any custom frame. My body indicates I probably need a 60cm WSD frame--yep, long legs, average torso, short arms.

I made several smaller trips to the large LBS to try to raise my confidence in them, but to no avail. I just can't see plunking down that much money if I don't feel good about the seller.

But....then I discovered that the Waterford plant does bike fittings and will take orders and sell you the frame. Hmmm....I'm within driving distance of the plant. I could make a day of it. Get the fit. Order the frame. And then, have the small LBS do the build up of the frame for me (of course, they happily said they would do so).

This sounds like the ultimate solution to my problem. So....what am I missing (besides the kick in the butt to finally get the process started)? Anyone see a flaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    what am I missing (besides the kick in the butt to finally get the process started)? Anyone see a flaw?
    Make the appointment? Their site says:

"We also perform custom fittings on our special sizing machine (and, more important) our seasoned advisors. A custom fitting doesn't necessarily mean a custom geometry, just a better fit. We'll work with your local shop to get you just the bike you want. Please call ahead for an appointment. Price: $150 at the time of the fitting."

Although a thread in the Waterford message board (http://www.waterfordbikes.com/board/...7fe3381be826a1) says the charge is $180. Sounds like a dream project.

Sounds like the way to go. I wanted a Mercian, and wanted to do the same thing, but the idea of dealing with a company overseas was more than I could handle. It was bad enough to have to do it right here in Seattle!

go for it!
    I wish I could show you the Waterford that the mechanic that assembled my new bike has. It has moustache handlebars, campy record, disk brakes, etc, etc.
    really cool bike!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I only had a very small encounter with Waterford, when I asked them about touch-up paint for my Waterford X-12.

They were very helpful and gently broke the news to me that the paint is no longer easily available (bike is 10 years old) and gave me suggestions and the paint code number if I wanted to try to track some down.

I've read about their custom process. Sounds great! Go for it!

I kinda envy you, being within driving distance of Waterford...
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by pll View Post
    Make the appointment?
    Have to agree!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Well, ladies, it has taken me a while to gather up the courage, but I'm off to Waterford for a fitting. I'm both excited (gonna have a bee-uuuu-teee-full bike come spring) and terrified (what can I say, I'm a pessimist and I keep seeing the potential problems).

The funny thing in the whole build up is the two times I've talked about planning the new bike while riding the current steed, the current steed broke a spoke. The last round of planning the new bike cost me $200 in repairs--two inner tubes (front and rear), a new tire, a new helmet (no-speed tripped while dismounting and cracked the old helmet) and, of course, a new spoke for the rear wheel. Teach me to talk about the new in front of the old.

But, the old steed is slowly showing its age and I think it is time to retire it (but please don't tell it I told y'all so or it'll toss another spoke or two).

Good luck thorn! I sent my Gunnar back to them for a repaint and they couldn't have been nicer or easier to deal with. Good folks as Waterford and mightly fine looking bikes.

When I finally get a custom, I think I'm going to go with Carl Strong, but Waterford tempts me, as well.

Thorn, with respect to your current bike, sounds to me like you just need new wheels. Or maybe your old wheels just need truing.

But of course you need a new Waterford too!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

oh, how exciting! keep us posted!

I have no regrets about my new custom bike. Nothing went wrong.
    nothing!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Love my Waterford. So excited you'll be getting one! We want PICTURES as soon as possible!!!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

sounds perfect to me...

elk

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Thorn, with respect to your current bike, sounds to me like you just need new wheels. Or maybe your old wheels just need truing.

But of course you need a new Waterford too!
    What she sed.

New wheels and/or truing your wheels makes such a tremendous difference in the ride. If you like the frame and it fits, keep the bike and get new wheels. I think I read here that only 1/5th of the weight of the bike is the frame, and wheels are rotational weight, the weight you have to get movin'. So when that's lighter and better whoopeeee! It's like a new bike.

And a new Waterford of course.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

mmmmmm.... Waterford.....