Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Yoga & Pilates vs. Weight-training

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,

I am thinking about structuring my winter training program and wondered if anyone has any thoughts or experiences with this? I usually weight train in the winter months along with my indoor bike training, but this year, I am rethinking weight training due to joint problems and arthritis and old injuries.

I am considering just doing yoga and pilates with my indoor training on the bike. I seem to be able to get very good strengthening and stretching from doing yoga and pilates and I like the focus on the core muscles and working on things like balance and coordination. I feel better after reading a quote I think in VeloNews by Chris Carmichael that he likes to see cyclists do yoga and pilates and similar disciplines in the winter rather than weight training (time and injury issues).

Am I completely crazy to do this? LOL

Thanks for your thoughts,

Lisa

Crazy? Nope. Sounds completely sane to me.

Dogmama started a thread about miind games . The theme that really came through for me was "balance".

If doing yoga and pilates in the winter makes you happy and keeps you healthy and strong...then go for it!

I think the beautiful thing about the "off season" is that it gives us time to explore all of those other physical, fun things. Hiking, swimming, running, skiing, snowshoeing etc etc.

yes, you are right

Yes, you are right. I think we have to go with what works for us. It's hard because I think we tend to compare ourselves to others or what we feel we "should" be doing, but I always believe in following my own body's wisdom. When things change, it can be a shocker though LOL. It's good though.

It's sad because my hubby and I's version of cross-training is mountain biking (we're roadies) LOL. But, we do nature hikes too in the fall and winter.

Thanks for the reply,

Lisa

This is my first post -- just found this forum! -- and lo and behold, something I know about!

I ride for an hour every weekday morning, and follow up with pilates. It's an excellent way to stretch out all those muscles after a good ride. On the "easy" ride mornings, I do an hour of pilates, and on the "challenging" ride mornings, I only do about 20 minutes. On the weekends after long or especially difficult rides I only stretch, no muscle work ... don't want to overdo.

thanks

Hi,

Welcome to the boards, Jennifer! Thanks so much for your input on my question...It is interesting to me to see how others structure things...I so appreciate it. I like your ideas on this.

And, hey, thanks for using your first post in the thread

Thanks again!,

Lisa

From the physiques I see on yoga instructors, I'd say that yoga is a great way to stay in shape. Of course, diet plays a big role too.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I run, hike the mountains, and weight train besides ride - I've never tried Pilates but have always been interested in Yoga. I have the great good fortune of living in a place where it rarely goes below freezing in the winter so I'm planning on riding all year long (we'll see what happens the first time I get Really cold!) I also agree - most heartily - with listening to your inner self - she will tell you what works for you and what doesn't if her let her! No matter what - have fun!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

There are no other effective remedies from joint problems and arthritis except Yoga and Pilates. Each of these is followed by another. Especially Yoga will help to concentrate more and holding your spirits while Pilates training. The very next the weight training will be spirited by Pilates. Mostly these practices will be made according to the wisdom of your body. In this concern I am suggesting you the assistance from Pilates Room with Kimberley Garlick as I am already benefited with the training.

I find yoga to be an absolute necessity... as someone who is stiff and always had body/muscle/joint pain it balances out other activities that can tighten me up even more. Cycling tightens my hip flexors and chest and yoga helps open it up so I slouch less and move easier If I were to weight train (I used to be an avid lifter) it would tighten me up too much, need the balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Fnjord View Post
    I find yoga to be an absolute necessity... as someone who is stiff and always had body/muscle/joint pain it balances out other activities that can tighten me up even more....need the balance!
    This! Without yoga, my osteoarthritis would dictate my life.
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

Judging from the physiques my yoga instructors (a M-F couple) had in Mexico, you don't need to weight-train to build strong and glorious muscles. Yoga, done right, does indeed involve weight-bearing, and that's what it's all about. Don't need no steenkin' weights (unless you want to)!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow