Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

How long did it take you to break in your Brooks?

I have about 100 miles on mine and it's not broken in yet.. Although I was thining I'd have to ride about 4xs/wk at least...

I got it about two weeks ago and have been riding ever since! I LOVE it! I got the B-68 and the seat fits my sit bones just right! I've been working on my form too and my woman parts/soft tissue is better than ever!

they don't always need "breaking in"
    i'm glad you like your Brooks; I love mine too. (all of them )
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Mimi - I forgot, tell me how many you have..

And Mine needs a little breaking in because my @ss hurts after 40 miles!

I have 4.
    one on the tandem
    one on my Bianchi
    one on my Raleigh (the antique B66 saddle)

and one in a box ready to be put on my new bike.

and you still have to get used to riding 40 miles!

it will get better; but the farther you ride; the more it's going to hurt
    I don't care WHAT saddle it is.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Oiling

Another question, what about oiling. How often does it need to be oiled? Does it help at all with the breaking in? And more importantly, how long do I have to wait till it get roughed up enough to stop slipping around on the saddle? More than three rides? Oh, and what type of oil. I think the guy at Free Range said Mink Oil?

Despite all the above, I really am liking this saddle. bikerHen

Use the leather care product that is recommended with the saddle. use it as OFTEN as you like.
    (I forget the name)
    other people will post soon.

Bikerhen, a lot of the slippage goes away once the seat is properly adjusted.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

One more stupid question.

When oiling the underside, do you take the saddle off the bike? Tip the bike upside down? Or just reach under there and do the best you can? That sounds kinda perverted but enquiring minds need to know these things. bikerHen

I don't take the saddle off the bike.Just reach around as best you can.
    If you want, you CAN turn the bike upside down or lay it down on its side.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Quote Originally Posted by bikerHen View Post
    When oiling the underside, do you take the saddle off the bike?
    Once I get a brooks set in the right position (I have 4) I try to never take it off - I find it a giant pain to get them adjusted correctly. Ijust try to smush some proofhide in there as best I can.

Lisa, my 30 year old Brooks is soft like a good leather jacket!
    so never say "NEVER!"
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

I don't necessarily care if it's soft, i just wants some marks on it from my sitbones!!

I am LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVING it thought. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Tiptoes in to the edge of the thread where IFJAne was...

I have never ridden a Brooks and this question comes from a completely ignorant (- as in complete lack of knowledge about -) perspective on Brooks saddles...

I hear you all say they are comfortable and that I cannot dispute (and would not consider disputing)
    I just wonder why you choose a Brooks when there has been so much research gone into designing saddles for the various pelvic types?

Do Brooks even have a cut-out, or a moulded/indented groove? (My ignorance extends to the fact that I have never seen a "real-life" Brooks, just pics here on TE)

The way I chose my saddle was by looking for the words "women's specific" in a style that I had seen women roadsters (like Sarah Ulmer and Onone Wood) ride...

Tip toes out again, hoping I haven't nudged anyones "offended triggers"....

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

The proofide is not runny...it's a waxy preservative, so you can just dip your fingers in it and rub it on under the saddle. No need to take it off.

There is another one that the guys at Rivendell recommend and sell...
    http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=31-344

called obenauf's.

I cheated and rubbed Lexol on top before the proofide...Lexol is a preservative that softens leather. It may have made a tiny difference....but the leather itself isn't hard....I think....but the forming of it stiffens it. if that makes any sense....

it's hard on the bum...but I love that it's NOT hard where it really counts...I'd way rather have a sore booty than a sore pooty....
    and actually, I rode my Specialized while waiting for my new Brooks...it has a cut out and some padding (it's a saddle I like) and it hurt my butt even more than the B67...go figure!
    Last edited by elk; 10-22-2007 at 11:05 PM.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

Wink breaking in the Brooks

I remember long ago (70s) we used mink oil and worked the oil into the saddle by stepping on it (for hours) to soften up the saddle before putting it on. Does anyone know if the Knickerbikers are still around (San Diego)?

Boy am I kicking myself.

Last week I swung by Goodwill to pick up a light wind/rain jacket and there was this pretty green Western Flyer bike out front. It called to me but I didn't listen. I did look at it and it had a very cool saddle (that I now realize was a Brooks!) and was in good shape. I didn't buy it but thought about it all day. When I went back it was, of course, gone. Now that I've read this thread I realize the very cool leather saddle was a Brooks and the cool green bike with fenders would have been a steal at Goodwill prices. Darn it! I hope it got a good home!

Lora