Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How long did it take you to break in your Brooks?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have about 100 miles on mine and it's not broken in yet.. Although I was thining I'd have to ride about 4xs/wk at least...

I got it about two weeks ago and have been riding ever since! I LOVE it! I got the B-68 and the seat fits my sit bones just right! I've been working on my form too and my woman parts/soft tissue is better than ever!

they don't always need "breaking in"
    i'm glad you like your Brooks; I love mine too. (all of them )
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Mimi - I forgot, tell me how many you have..

And Mine needs a little breaking in because my @ss hurts after 40 miles!

I have 4.
    one on the tandem
    one on my Bianchi
    one on my Raleigh (the antique B66 saddle)

and one in a box ready to be put on my new bike.

and you still have to get used to riding 40 miles!

it will get better; but the farther you ride; the more it's going to hurt
    I don't care WHAT saddle it is.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Oiling

Another question, what about oiling. How often does it need to be oiled? Does it help at all with the breaking in? And more importantly, how long do I have to wait till it get roughed up enough to stop slipping around on the saddle? More than three rides? Oh, and what type of oil. I think the guy at Free Range said Mink Oil?

Despite all the above, I really am liking this saddle. bikerHen

Use the leather care product that is recommended with the saddle. use it as OFTEN as you like.
    (I forget the name)
    other people will post soon.

Bikerhen, a lot of the slippage goes away once the seat is properly adjusted.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

...and what type of oil.
    Proofide
    http://www.wallbike.com/content/proofide.html

I have to chime in here. I love my Brooks -- all three of them!

It all started last summer with a B17S for my Trek road bike, which I enjoyed so much that I got a B17 for my mountain bike. I gave someone a Team Pro S for Christmas, but they didn't like it, so I got them another saddle and put the Team Pro S on my Bianchi road bike. All of the Brooks felt good from the getgo, but felt broken-in around the 100 mile mark.

That said, I think my longest rides have been in the 50 mile range. I may not be quite as charmed with my Brooks after a century.

I should also mention that I bought all the saddles from Wallingford Bicycles (www.wallbike.com), and they were a pleasure to deal with.

Here's what I do for saddle maintenance program:

1. When I get the saddle, put Proofhide (the stuff recommended by Brooks) on the bottom and the top of the saddle. After a few hours, buff off the top of the saddle; no need to buff off the bottom of the saddle.

2. When the saddle is new, apply Proofhide to the top every week or so. Let it sit until it's not shiny, then buff it off. (It tends to loose the "shine" after an hour or so.)

3. After a few Proofhidings, it will stay shiny for several hours. At that point, I only Proofhide it every six months or so.

This maintenance program pretty much agrees with the literature that comes with the Brooks saddles.

You should also know that I live in Northern California, which as very mild temperatures -- not rainy or sun-baked.

I've also only owned my Brooks for the last year, so I can hardly vouch for the long term success of my maintenance program.

Oh, and about the slipperiness. I do recall noticing it at first, but it seemed go away after a few rides and some Proofhiding.

-- Melissa

I've probably got about 700 miles on my B68 since May, and I can't tell that it's "broken in" at all. It's comfy, but it's still hard as a rock and I don't see any indentations.

Mimi - I think you are the Brooks queen!

Well, I just hope it gets a little more comfty even if it doesn't "break-in."

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    The Brooks saddle will never get "soft"- it will just slightly form to your sitbones, that's all.
    Don't use oil on it. Use Proofhide like the makers recommend. Use it every few days 4 or 5 times on a brand new saddle, then once a month a couple more times, then maybe once every 3 or 4 months to help keep it water resistant.

I rode my first Brooks for 6 months before it seemed broken in. After a year I bought a new Brooks (different model) and I could ride it right off the bat without getting sore. Seems my REAR was sufficiently broken in already!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just bought my 2nd B67. It felt lovely from the start (just like my 1st B67 which I bought last year) but I could definitely tell the difference between the new and the older "broken in".

My 1 year old B67 is still "hard" leather, but boy is it customized to my lopsided pelvis!

And btw, I follow the same Proofhide schedule that Mimi does. That Proofhide is good stuff.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

One more stupid question.

When oiling the underside, do you take the saddle off the bike? Tip the bike upside down? Or just reach under there and do the best you can? That sounds kinda perverted but enquiring minds need to know these things. bikerHen

I don't take the saddle off the bike.Just reach around as best you can.
    If you want, you CAN turn the bike upside down or lay it down on its side.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Quote Originally Posted by bikerHen View Post
    When oiling the underside, do you take the saddle off the bike?
    Once I get a brooks set in the right position (I have 4) I try to never take it off - I find it a giant pain to get them adjusted correctly. Ijust try to smush some proofhide in there as best I can.