Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Altitude Climbing Anxiety

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have arrived in Shasta for my year's goal event: the summit century, with 10,500 feet of climbing, for a PB for me.

I live at sea level, & now I'm at 3000-3500' & feeling it in my head & HR. I'm getting nervous. The ride will go up to 7500'. My home mountain goes from sea to 5000', but I haven't trained for sustained time up high...it is just the top of the hill. Just up, then down.

I think I'm psyching myself out a little...I'm here on my own without anyone to just blab with. And, I know I can also feel this elevation in my body.

And, on a side note, I'm really missing my mom, who died this year. She was my best friend and biggest fan, and she LOVED this kind of place...she would have loved to be here with me. Guess I wish I had her to talk to.

Any suggestions about the altitude?
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

I left from Atlanta (1000 feet) and dropped into Frisco, CO (9,000) and did rides that maxed out at well over 11,000 feet. I did all the usual precautions - lots of carbs, LOTS of water, avoid caffeine and alcohol, and take it easy the first few days, getting plenty of sleep, but if possible, do a short workout at altitude if you can allow enough time to recover before the Big Event.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Drink more water!

I do think it's just anxiety. The elevation change isn't that drastic but anxiety could be giving you similar symptoms. Go find something fun to do to take your mind off it.

And be sure to drink more water.

Are you in Mt Shasta City? There's a nice little book store on the main drag and 5th Season Sports (or whatever it's called) can provide some nice recreational shopping.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

the only recommend I can offer is to climb at your own pace... keep your gears easy and just take your time...

and talk to your mom along the way too... she'll be happy you're in such a beautiful place...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

5,000 is quite manageable coming right from sea level. A couple things to remember:

Many folks find their stomach is affected and that they have trouble taking in adequate food and staying hydrated. Thinner air is often drier, so hydration is hugely important. Listen to SK - hydrate! (But don't forget those pesky electrolytes!).

In terms of thinner air and breathing - you'll generally go a bit slower, breathe a bit more. People with asthma may need to monitor themselves more closely. But as long as you're pacing yourself, you're not going to be gasping for air.

I always find the worst day for me arriving at elevation is the first day, unpacking the car for camping or ski trip or whatever. You'll adjust pretty quickly.

ETA: Oh I misunderstood - I thought the ride topped out at 5000 - but still, 7500 is manageable as well. Just watch your pace and DON'T WORRY about how slow or not slow you are. That's the key - staying calm.
    Last edited by maillotpois; 08-01-2007 at 10:24 AM.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Hey Starfish,

I think you'll be fine! Especially with your frequent rides up to Hurricane Ridge. I agree that you need to drink extra water.

I live at 3,500' and the only comparison I can offer is downhill skiing. When I ski at 7,000'-9,000', I rarely notice the altitude unless I forget to drink enough water. Then I'll get killer headaches. If I start thinking about the altitude too much, then I'll convince myself that it is impacting me. If I'm having a great time skiing and drinking enough water, I really do not notice the altitude at all. Same goes for high altitude hikes...if I'm distracted by other things, like the beautiful scenery or good company, then I never notice the altitude.

The Shasta ride sounds just amazing. Good luck to you! I hope you brought your camera so you can share some pictures. And I bet your mom will be there to help you along the way too

Starfish - I do something similar to Pedal Wench every year. I live at about 800 ft. & travel to Frisco & points beyond in the Rockies to ride my bike. Some years are better than others, and this year was a bad one (many reasons not related to riding at altitude). I have found that the secrets to succesful altitude riding are (not necessarily in order):

1. Hydrate!
    2. Fuel your body. Try to have something (gel, bar, sportbeans, fruit, peanut butter & jelly bagel, etc.) every 30 minutes or so when you are climbing.
    2. Do not expect to be as fast or strong as you are at home - the air is thinner & your muscles are screaming for more oxygen - so take it a bit slower.
    3. Keep your heartrate down so you can breathe - switch to lower gears than you think you need.
    4. Enjoy the scenery!
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Not the altitude...

Starfish,
    I am not in any way dismissing your fears or anxiety. I know this is going to be a tough ride, but remember you have trained hard and just do the best you can. Try and relax.
    That said...
    You actually can not feel any effects of altitude under 5280 feet. That is only if you are highly sensitive. The average person does not begin to feel them until about 8000 feet. The only exception is in the polar regions where you can feel effects as low as 4000 feet.
    That of course is not to say that you are not having any physical symptoms. It is amazing what stress can do to our bodies. I just hope it makes you feel better to know that it doesn't have anything to do with the altitude.
    Best of Luck to you.

Starfish:

It looks like you have received some great advice about how to ride at altitude (I live at 5000 feet and do ride at higher elevations). I am sorry your mother passed away and I think she will be right with you, cheering you on.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

Yep, what the others said, water, good food, take it easy. And more water. If you are acclimated to riding at 5,000 ft then 7,500 shouldn't be a big jump, you probably won't even notice much difference.

I am so sorry that you've lost your mom. The fact that you know it's your mother's sort of place means that she is there with you. The wonderful thing about love is that it lives on in our hearts; enjoy it for both of you.

You've worked hard to prepare and you'll do great. You know it's a challenge, and parts are likely to be hard, but in the end you'll have accomplished a great thing for yourself. You and the others have been such an inspiration for me in trying to increase and improve my climbing. I'm really impressed by the challenge you are taking on and am looking forward to hearing all about it (and seeing pictures!)

Anne

Hi starfish,

All the important suggestions have been made.

And now about the body, the mind and the altitude. People do react differently to altitude. What is fine for one person may not be for another so take this with a grain of salt.

Generally, you will have about 10% less power at the altitude you are talking about, 5,000 ft to about 8,000 feet. Your resting heart rate will also be higher at these elevation. Can't remember the percentage value but i think it was 10-15% range. And below 8,000-10,000 ft, you will only notice small amount of "OMG not enough air! its too thin here" So just go a little slower, drink a lot more water than usual. And as you do the ride, break the ride into smaller chunks in your mind. "I know I can get past that big boulder without getting off the bike" then "I can make it past that tree up ahead..."

WEAR LOTS OF STRONG SUNBLOCK SPF 30 is absolute minimum!! and wear a good pair of UV A/B sunglasses. Even if it is cloudy wear the SUNBLOCK!! UV's do penetrate the clouds and its much much stronger at higher elevation.

And lastly, believe me you will have lots of fun. The route looks really pretty. Hadn't it been for my poor back I wold have done the ride.

ENJOY!!
    Smilingcat

Quote Originally Posted by nicole309 View Post
    You actually can not feel any effects of altitude under 5280 feet. That is only if you are highly sensitive. The average person does not begin to feel them until about 8000 feet. The only exception is in the polar regions where you can feel effects as low as 4000 feet. .
    Just a data point. I live not far above sea level in NC, and when my DH and I went to the southwest last year, we were able to do long, strenuous hikes in the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion NP, etc. without any problems. I know the highest elevations were over 7000 feet (can't remember exactly). I suspect you'll be fine so long as you don't push yourself too hard.

Good luck!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

it's probably too late for some of this advice since you are already there, but for what it's worth and for anyone else contemplating riding at altitude:

I recently did a ride in Colorado with basically no problems:
    The highest point was a little over 11,000 feet

- I began drinking lots of water about 3-4 days before the ride
    - I arrived at ~5000 two days before the start of the ride
    - I started taking a medication called Acetazolamide about 24 hours before the ride (mostly worried about my asthma)
    - I continued drinking lots of water throughout the ride!!!

not recommended but in case you were wondering:
    - I had 1 beer a night (OK, two on the day off )
    - I had 1 cup coffee each morning

The only issue I recall (and this may have nothing to do with the altitude) was feeling a little dizzy the first night. I laid my head down (late afternoon) and started feeling a little dizzy. I immediately felt better after getting up and walking around and never had another problem after that....
    Cheers!

Cindy

Team Luna Chix

Thumbs up Thanks, everyone!

Thanks, everyone, for a bunch of good tips and great support. Most all of it makes a lot of sense, and I appreciate your responses! I have been absolutely swilling water (and have my electrolyte tabs for the ride), trying to eat well, saying "no" to any wine with dinner, and keeping the caffeine to one morning cup of coffee. Haven't been on my bike for a few days, but I'm going out tomorrow morning for an easy ride (which is as hard, or harder to find around here than where I'm from!).

I am feeling better tonight, although still head-achey and my guts are a little uneasy. Although I have not worked out hard at any altitude to speak of, I have travelled a lot to altitude, so I know that what I was/am feeling is related to altitude, not just nerves. It is a very recognizable feeling in my head and my whole cardio system, as strange as that sounds. And, believe it or not, I feel mild symptoms on climbs from sea level, even after just about 3500 feet, right at home in my own back yard under relaxed circumstances.

(But then, as a human research subject at the UW, I also learned that my autonomic nervous system reacts to a variety of stimuli differently than many others' do; and, my surgeon and dentist both know I need about double the pain meds that many of their patients do. Call it in my head, or not, but I seem to be a little sensitive. Based on the research experiments, I don't think it is all in my head, although I absolutely know how amazing the mind/body connection is.)

I went out and drove 2 of the 3 climbs today. The good news is that the routes are beautiful, and the final climb up Mt. Shasta is gorgeous, with a great road. But, these are going to be tough, unrelenting climbs for me. I think they are steeper than my Hurricane Ridge route. However, I am reading a lot of great inspirational stuff this week! In fact, next week I will post a book review.

Thanks again, everybody. I currently don't have anyone in real life who really supports me knowledgeably as a cyclist...just well-meaning friends. This forum is so wonderful. Thank you. Edit: Oops! Haha...I just realized I implied you are not all actually real-life people but imaginary friends! Sorry! I think I have spent too much time alone this week! Gads.
    Last edited by Starfish; 08-01-2007 at 09:35 PM.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

driving is deceptive

hey starfish -

I know you'll do great, but I wanted to caution you about jumping to conclusions about grade steepness (shasta being harder than hurricane) based on driving. you really can't tell grade steepness based on driving. things often look steeper in the car.

example: we have our death ride folks ride passes 3, 4 and 5 in training. years of doing this ride have shown these are the toughest. the night before the event, one of my more challenging participants announced she had driven pass 1 and that is was steeper and harder than any of the others. I simply asked if she had *driven* passes 3 and 4 and she hadn't. the next morning as we're climbing pass 1, she says "wow - this really isn't steep at all. it seemed a lot worse in the car. you *were* right!"

so don't let your drive trouble you. it *may* be steeper, but most likely it is not.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes