Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

View Poll Results: What do you use on your butt?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chamois Butt'r

10 35.71%
  • Vaseline

0 0%
  • Other chamois cream

8 28.57%
  • Nothing

10 35.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamois Butt'r?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've never used anything... never had a chafing issue. Lucky I guess.
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

you're kidding spazz, nothin? anything over 30 miles without Assos (and I don't think a pun is intended gals) and I'm not a happy camper and anything less than that brand is not good. what's your secret? we know about the saddle. what shorts are you usin'?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I use Chamois Butt R for anything longer than a metric century. It's more of a precaution than anything else. I used to have problems before I switched to a Brooks saddle.

V.

I wear Pearl Izumi's - Women's Pear Small or all my old ones are Pearl Izumi Men's small (now a bit big for me). I buy whatever has the smallest chamois. I hate sittin' on a pad. I get more irritated by the pads than the saddle. My most favorite shorts are tri-shorts with mesh side panals and the tiniest fleece pad you ever saw.

Remember grrls, I am shaped like a boy... no hips, no a$$. I gots no curves, 'cept my pointed lil head.
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

i like Chamios Butt'R for longer rides and races (just as a precaution normally... a few weeks ago i was thinking "nah, i don't need any" and was sorry afterwards).
    some of the guys on my team swear by noxema (the stuff in the green jar that you use to wash your face?) i guess it's kinda like cold cream (which is what Chamois Butt'R reminds me of) but it tingles. i'm not so sure tingling would be such a good thing, but they seem to like it

I voted "nothing" as well, although like some others I have occasionally tried chamois buttr as a preventative.

The only time I've had a problem with chaffing is during really hot, humid weather. Wet shorts=unhappy pedalfaster

i like chamois butt'r. It's a great lube without being greasy. I prefer to avoid the menthol of assos (yaooow), so it's chamois butt'r for me. I have a big tube and some small tubes for on the road.

After the experience of my second century (which would have been very uncomfortable without it due to pressure on one of my sitz bones), I don't think I'd try to do more than 60 miles without it.
    2003 Trek 7500FX/standard saddle
    2006 Trek Pilot 2.1/Serfas cutout saddle

Spazz, you da woman! My husband has never used anything, either. I just can't imagine riding without lubing my butt.

Fultzie, I can't imagine using Noxema on my butt! YEEOUCH! Especially if it gets into other areas, that just sounds downright painful!

So are you on the Michigan cycling team? My hubby used to ride for Purdue. GO BOILERS! Sorry, just had to get that out in the open.

I don't use anything either - I guess I'm another lucky one. and ROFL slinke...my ex went to Purdue also - and my dad went to Indiana U and my aunt went to Mich - M Go Blue! Talk about "discussions" @ our house! Anyway - sry I can't help - but its good to know what ppl Are using - just in case. (keeping fingers crossed I stay lucky)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

slinke- Wow! Purdue has a pretty good roadie team! (haven't seen any mtn bikers from them, though)

corsair- that would make for some interesting "discussion"! hee hee. my mom's parents both came to UM, but my dad's dad went to Notre Dame, and my mom's best friends are professors there.... that keeps things entertaining (though not so much this year as last... i'm a newly converted football fan )
    I have a friend on the cycling team here who's parents went to Ohio State... she is currently being written out of the will

anywho, sorry to highjack the thread!

as for noxema- i personally don't use it- i agree, that is NOT what i want "down there".

I like Chamois Butt'r best because it has no scent and feels pretty much like lotion (so i can rub the extra on my hands off on my legs!) but stays put longer.

Nothing unless I'm doing more than a metric century or riding 5 days or more a week on the road. On my mtbiking, it isn't an issue unless we're riding miles and miles of dirt roads (like 2 days in a row of 50 miles each). Then, Chamois Butt'R. Whatever it is must be easily washable.

Thankfully, we're all Purdue heads. My husband would have been excommunicated from the family if he had gone anywhere but Purdue. He used to threaten to apply at Notre Dame just to tick off his dad. We had GOOD football weekend and will hopefully have another one this week!

Yes, I guess the thread is a little hijacked, but I don't care since I started it!

Switched to Udderly Smooth Udder Cream, and no I don't have cracked teats, cause it's easier to get than Chamois Butt'r and less expensive.

I also use Desitin when I have problems with saddle sores.

Short rides of 20 miles, don't need anything but longer rides........don't leave home w/o it. When I was young, I didn't have to worry about much of anything but jumping on the bike and riding. Somewhere along the line, I got old.

Some riders swear by Bag Balm, others swear by Assos, others swear by Noxema.

I think it's a real personal thing like picking a saddle, body chemistry, and PC's.

I've tried 'em all and have been sticking with the Bag Balm, this year - more bang for your buck. Seemed the Chamois Buttr soaked in too quickly so I didn't have enough lube left to get me through the rides. I posted a similar question awhile back and came to the conclusion that I need a new seat. Maybe will investigate next season...

~Angie