Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

differences

To disable ads, please log-in.

have you noticed that the grade showing on the edge as you ride is very different from what uploads? 22% becomes 16%. 20-22 was probably closer because all other 16% I can ride but could NOT on that one!

What about difference in HR? On the edge before upload, it reads 140(I was pushing like crazy the whole way and I am almost 60). Upload shows 130. This happens often. Does anyone know why? What about MB gravity? Do you use it? I stopped applying it because it adds about 200-500' depending on ride.

I don't use the correction for elevation. As discussed somewhere around here, the elevation is relative to the unit doing the recording. So I just use what I get inside of training center and use it.

As for the "instantaneous % grade", it is just that. The GPS in the Garmin is not good for vertical resolution so it also uses barometric pressure. But...every measurement that the GPS takes has a range of error. E.g., a good satellite lock is still +/- 18m or so.

So those instantaneous grades...I look at it this way....when I read out the % grade it is calculated based on the last two data points (ok, not quite the last two, but....). Either of those data points could be in error. When I'm looking at % grades, then, I tend to perform rolling averages in my head. Did the GPS hold the 20% or was it followed by a 3%?

Of course, once imported, it does get smoothed out, even if you turn smoothing off. I have one hill that reads in TC as 10%. It is very short and very steep--trust me, that bump is not just 10%--10% does not require standing in my lowest gear. In the end it is all relative and the resolution of the PC isn't the same as land. Those sharp bumps can just disappear.

Also note that when you get below a certain speed it quits recording. Which on extreme grades is a possibility.

Unless the software is much different from the ForeRunner's, you should be able to select in your preferences whether or not the unit stops recording when you're "stopped." It's actually under the Training Assistant preferences, which is a weird place for it. Select Auto Pause/Lap and you can edit whether or not you want the unit to stop recording when you're stopped, and if so, how slow you must be going before it decides you've stopped.

Ignore this if the Edge doesn't work the same way as the ForeRunner, but it sure sounds like that's what you've got going on.

Also, there are several things I don't like about SportTracks, but one neat feature it has is that it separates your stopped time (which you can set in the software preferences there) and calculates your average moving pace/speed. I wind up downloading my data into four different places (TC for Windoze, TC for Mac, SportTracks and MB) which is utterly ridiculous given that I'm not actually a serious athlete at all - but it's fun!

MB gives stopped time too!?

You can set the 305 to stop recording when you stop riding, or to stop recording below a certain speed (which you choose yourself). I tried the latter but didn't like it. Now I have it set to stop only if I stop riding. And yes, MB does show riding time, stopped time, and total time.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Okay, I understand about the instant read out situation but I felt like when I was using the VDO w altimeter it was giving repeatable readings so I thought Garmin(for much more money) would do as good.
    On the other hand, should the smoothing or whatever impact the HR avg that uploads,do you think?

Does anyone know how to take a route from the Garmin ,upload it to another site like Mapmyride and then use it as a route on the Garmin? If this has been hashed before,could someone point me to the thread. I didn't find it. thanks!

You really shoudn't need to go thru another site unless you want to. D'l as a CRS, import into training center, use training center to load onto the edge.

Southern Belle, I am not usually this dumb but don't know how to d'l as crs. When I hook up unit by usb it auto downloads the map of the ride. What I want to do is recover that ride as a route not a course(I think). As a course I get no map to follow right?

If you save your ride as a course and load it on your Garmin then you can follow yourself along the course; I don't recall whether or not you get a map of it, I've never found on-the-device maps all that useful. I usually look at the elevation profile which shows you as a dot racing the dot that was you riding it last time. I've stopped using this since I've been training to haul more weight; it's just depressing to see the little dot race up the hill while I am at 3mph hauling a trailer! If you save it as a course and follow it, the Garmin will alert you if you go off course.

I know what you mean, though, about expecting more for the money. I think their software stinks and their devices are poorly made. Mine stopped charing in the wall charger (won't work with my sister's Forerunner charger either) though it will charge via PC USB.

Anne

I have only done this a couple of times, so I'm not sure I can explain it. Have you searched MB forum? They are pretty good about explaining stuff like this.

I have used courses a couple of times, once on my first century, once shortly before that on a 70 mile route through unfamiliar territory. It did tell me when I got off-route. You can also build a route where it will cue you when to turn, etc. On the 70 mile one, it worked well even though I had to guesstimate for a few of miles of bike path. On the century route, I was riding with several and we were not sure if we had made a good turn or were off-route. I went with what the unit said and it was right.

Having said that, there are a couple of bug issues. I had to re-set mine last week. If the wall unit is defective, call customer support. From what I've read on the MB forum, they are very good about replacing defective stuff.