Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Smile

To disable ads, please log-in.

Laurie,

My quads ache just reading your list of rides!
    I will look you up!

Tracy

Laurie, you're my inspiration! While I'm just getting started, I have my eye on doing those century rides someday soon!

Is there a website that lists all the cycling events in Arizona?

Having survived my first group ride last weekend, I already have two more riding dates scheduled with people I met in my group. I think this could be addictive...

laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

and oh yes, it IS addictive!
    laurie

Thanks so much, Laurie - shall I call you my "enabler?"

TinM, I did do the ride but didn't get started until about 9:30 so that's why we missed. I am really excited about the progress made on the bike path. I'm hoping they will be done in about 6 weeks.

I'm thinking about doing the Palo verde 50 but I will have been off my bicycle for over 3 weeks. So I'll see how much aerobic work of any type I get in while on vacation. Then make a decision.

Everyone - have fun on the TdS. TinM, my friend is delivering his bicycle to my garage tonight so I know he is exicited to be doing the ride. Thanks for keeping a look out for him.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I really like REI for clothing and accessories. The folks are great and they aren't on commission so they do spend lots of time with you. I got my bike rack from them, during Labor day sale. They also have LOTS of women's clothing - much more than many LBS.

Now, the only outstanding question is for Mpty - how did the MS ride go?

I won't be signing on for a while - I'll look for your impressions on TdS when I get back.

I just sent in my money for the Tucumcori century (I'm only doing the 64 miles, though). I think I'll miss you, Laurie, since you guys (100 miles) leave an hour earlier. Unless you sleep in and leave late!

sue, i havent registered for the tumacacori because i'm still deciding. DH is going to go out to visit my parents that weekend (i want to go but i cant get saturday off and it's just too much of a drive to go for just 2 days) so i wasnt sure if i wanted to ride it without him. if i do i'll probably want to do the 64 miles, so lemme do some research and check it out. i'll let you know.
    laurie

Hi - I just spotted this thread! I'm on the west side - Greenway Road and 51st Avenue. I usually ride by myself on the canal during the week. Our weekends are full of kid activities and I catch grief from my husband if I go out for a ride on the weekends. I would love to find someone who rides during the week! I tried a ride with a guy from the gym - but DH wasn't too keen on that either!

I bought my bike from Landis at Indian School - a Trek WSD 5000 - they had the best prices for what I wanted. I was happy with the service there. I also like my LBS - Swiss American on Bell & 43rd- but I've been in several times, so they know me for the old woman rider wannabe and are considerate of my feelings. Swiss American has a night ride on Tuesday nights at Bell & 43rd - but it is really fast.

I have a brother in law and a nephew that are heavily into road racing & cyclcross in the Midwest, so I can email them with all my questions.

Is there another get together ride for us TE?

also, anybody know about a Critical Mass ride in Phoenix?
    Nancy
    "If I weren't the maid, I'd fire me."

Hi FelesRidet!
    I often work weekends, so I like to ride during the week. I live way out in Ahwatukee, though.
    Will you be doing the Palo Verde Century? I'm undecided because I get done with work so late the night before. If I get up early enough that morning, I might register the day of the ride.

Laurie, I hope to see you at Tucumcori!

Hi All!

I did the Tour de Scottsdale last Sunday and its taken me until today to entertain the thought of doing it again next year. It was really tough for me. That last long hill into DC Ranch just about pushed me over the edge! I had to stop 3 times on that last hill, but I did finish, thank God! This was my first official group ride and the furthest I have ridden.

I plan on riding the PV century. Based upon my ride in TdS on Sunday, I don't know if I will be able to make it 100miles but I will try.

I hope I will get to meet those of you doing the PV ride. Fountain Hills mentioned doing the 50mi loop. I may opt for the 50mi too depending on the wind.

I hope to see you some of you there.

Palo Verde!

I have started back riding (after broken arm). I plan to do the Palo Verde ride...would be fun to meet some westside riders. I'll be wearing the pink cheetah print helmet, which clashes with whatever else I wear.
    amy

Hi folks, I'm back from vacation and wanted to let you know that I haven't done much in about 3 weeks. I went out for a ride on Sunday and really got blown around. So I don't think I will do the 50 mile loop - I need to get some miles under my belt. I'll make my final decision later in the week and if I do decide to go, I'll post it at this site.

Tracy, I talked with Chuck and he appreciated getting together with you do do a ride. He said he got a late start for the TdS but was also able to finish. He said he enjoyed it but struggled on the last hill as well. Thanks for contacting him.

Question Hello from North Scottsdale

Hello! This is my first time on the forum. I live in the Troon area and have been riding for years but lack the fitness to prove it! Family, work, and my own weakness has allowed too many interruptions. BUT as I can now see age 60 on the horizon I'm determined to ride into the golden years more faithfully. Road biking only. I know some nice rides in this part of the world and hills that are good for building strength without killing you. If anyone would like to connect for a Saturday morning ride some time let me know. I did my first group ride in the Teton Valley in August. Managed to average about 15 mph and 1 hill of about 6% grade. After that one ... a knee refused to tackle any more so I'm working on strengthening. I've been off the bike since then, just now getting on again so think probably 30-40 miles is my current goal.

BTW, on your discussion of bike shops. I bought my Trek at Bicycle Ranch and understand the negatives. The younger guys there are really not girl-friendly. It's important to work with the right person. Parek is the co-owner/manager and he's great. Rides with Lance Armstrong...his knowledge is very valuable. I've gone back to Chris for some fine tuning on the fit and the guys in the repair dept. treat me great.

Thanks for sharing your experiences here. It's very encouraging!

if i get over this cold-thing i got i'll definitely be doing the palo verde century.

tour de scottsdale was a big disappointment - i made a bad decision. after the starting process worked itself out i was ready to start my attack. i normally bridge to a group, ride on for a while then decide to stay or go up to the next group. DH was behind me and for no apparent reason i decided to stay with him for this ride. we have an understanding, that when we're training we stay together but when it's a "race" we do the best we can individually. i thought he'd appreciate me staying with, but actually it just frustrated him. the bummer? i had never felt so strong on climbs! i could've finished in 3 and a half hours easily (or better), but we finished in 4. oh well, my goal is el tour de tucson in under 6.

so i'll look for y'all at the pvnc next sunday! hope the winds cooperate.

sue, did you do the tucson ride? i ended up going to california to help paint my parents' house. DH and i both came home with this cold/flu thing. the wind was amazing in Kern County, it's no wonder the fires can't be stopped.
    laurie