Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

If you guys are riding Sunday, I might be interested! If you're riding Sept 1st, I'll be working....

Quote Originally Posted by mtkitchn View Post
    If you guys are riding Sunday, I might be interested! If you're riding Sept 1st, I'll be working....
    Well, how about the 2nd? That's Sunday and I'm guessing it will be quiet that day. I'm riding between my home and the end of Forest road in Rio Verde - about 25 miles round trip. I'm averaging 15 mph.

I haven't tried going up the long hill yet (west on Dynamite).

I may be too slow for you guys, if I am let me know and I'll wait a couple of more months before I check in again. Hopefully I'll be in better shape.

I'm willing to try other places, BTW.

Also what is "Silent Sundays"?

I shouldn't hit the submit button so quickly.

Early for me is before 7 am. The weather has been so quick to heat up that if I don't start between 5:30 and 6:30 am, I find it hard to keep a nice pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Fountain Hills View Post
    Also what is "Silent Sundays"?
    Silent Sundays are the last Sunday of every month on South Mountain. No motorized vehicles are allowed on the roads within the park.

As far as the Sunday ride...If we really leave that early, I think I could join you. I'll have to check with my husband. He's training for the PF Chang marathon and has to get his long runs in on the weekend. If he's planning on getting his run in on Saturday, don't know why I couldn't get a ride in on Sunday! I'd even be able to get home and showered in time for church.

I'll try to get back to you soon. But in the mean time, if anyone else confirms that they are able to ride, go ahead and set up a time and meeting place and I'll see if I can't make it work.

~Lisa

i'm in for any ride sunday sep 2.

good meeting place could be desert ridge marketplace since it's right off the 101 at Tatum, then we could just wind our way around eastward.

just a suggestion. lemme know.
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

I'd love to come up for the ride as well since I never seem to get out of Ahwatukee. Would be nice to see some new scenery and meet some new cyclists! So Sunday the 2nd? What is the cross street for Desert Ridge Marketplace on Tatum? My map is so old it doesn't even have the 101 on it!

Holy Cow, Mtkitchn! Maybe we could take up a little collection and buy you a current map.

Of course, I am now having to go look at my map because I'm not that familiar with Scottsdale. I have no clue what the cross street is either. I just know you can see Desert Ridge from the 101...

Another AZ rider checking in. I live near the border of Glendale and Phoenix. Not far from ASU West. I'm still very slow, as in averaging under 12 mph. I only started riding seriously in March. I've been riding 12-21 miles 4-5 days a week. I need to find some hills to work on.

I think we are camping or otherwise engaged every weekend in Sept. but after that I'll be free on the weekends. I prefer to ride at the crack of dawn so I don't burst into flames when the sun beats down on me!

I have a daughter going to school down in Tucson. I've been trying to get her into riding. Unfortunately we got her a crappy bike so it wouldn't tempt the thieves on campus and she isn't happy with it. Sigh. I guess we may have to break down and get her a better one for christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
    Well, I was hoping I'd see someone else that lives down in the Tucson area. So if anyone knows any chicks down here or if anyone makes it down here and wants to go for a ride. Let me know.

Hi Kristi,
    I come to Tucson to ride sometimes; in fact, I plan to attempt Mt. Lemmon mid-September. We're actually planning to ride it on a Monday to avoid the weekend traffic. Will you be doing El Tour?

Sounds like we are getting suggestions for 2 places - South Mountain or Fountain Hills/ Rio Verde.

The Desert Ridge meeting place, if we are looking at either of the 2 places above is not terribly helpful. It is a long way from either place and may cause some people to drive more than they need to.

So, if I am right and we have 2 options, let us know what option you would like. The Fountain Hills to Rio Verde is 20-25 miles with about a 1000 foot elevation gain through out the ride but it can be done if you are willing to gear down. If you want to extend it more, we can go into McDowell Mountain Park and add another 4-8 miles to the trip or go on Dynamite Rd and then can extend for however long you like. I'm up for riding up to 30 miles but am not ready for 40-50 miles which is what a trip, along Dynamite Rd would take.

I'm not familar with South Mountain and would love the opportunity to ride there, if someone is suggesting a ride. But it sounds like someone, from the Ahawtukee area would like to go elsewhere. I'm willing to do the FH/RV trip if that's everyone's preference.

Let me know what you would like to do. I can suggest a meeting area for the FH/RV ride. I'd like to decide by Friday since it'll help me decide what to do for my Saturday ride.

If someone has another suggestion, other than the 2 above, let us know.

Otherwise, I'll suggest 6:30 am on Sunday, September 2nd at the shopping center, on Saguaro Blvd, next to Fountain Park. There's a Mountain View Coffee Co in the center and a large metal horse sculpture.

Please let us know if there are other, better ideas.

A Fountain Hills/Rio Verde ride sounds great to me. My husband got his long run in this morning, so no scheduling conflicts for Sunday. I could meet you at 6:30, but 6 would be even better. Laurie, I know this would be REALLY early for you.
    Last edited by AZSpinner; 08-29-2007 at 03:21 PM.

I don't mind 6 am but that is really early for you. I'll let you dictate the time since you have to drive to the meeeting place. If anyone else shows up, that will be great!!!!!!!

6am works for me! That'll be sleeping in after the hours I've been working! What are the cross streets for this meeting place (shopping ctr on Saguaro Blvd)?
    I'm up for as long a ride as you can handle, Fountain Hills. I haven't been riding recently and need to get some miles in.

The easiest way to get there is to take Shea Blvd. (from either the Beeline Hwy Rt. 87 or from the 101) to Saguaro Blvd. Head north on Saguaro until you reach El Lago Blvd (about 2 miles). Just after El Lago is a turning lane into the shopping center. If you get to Fountain Park, you went too far.

I haven't figured out how to get a map into this post so if you go to mapquest on the intersection of N. Saguaro Blvd and e. El Lago Blvd in Fountain Hills using zip 85268, you'll see the map.

We'll see you Sunday at 6 am.

OK - one last item. I'm not sure the Coffee place is open at 6 am. So if you want caffiene there is a Starbucks at the Safeway on Fountain Hills Blvd or one at Palisades and La Montana. I'm not much for coffee so I'm not sure what others might like.

might be a little early for me, but i'll certainly try. just depends on when the alarm goes off if i let the little devil on one shoulder ("ohhh come on sleep in") or the little angel on the other shoulder ("you know you really want to ride") win.
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly