Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Jeni's first MTB race report

To disable ads, please log-in.

OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD OMG IT WAS HARD

Did I mention it was hard? Going to eat some food and take a nap and then maybe I'll write up a real report. I just wanted you to know it was HARD! But I came in 2nd and it was my first race. I don't remember how many beginner women there were. I just didn't think it would be THAT much harder than my road races! The girl that beat me asked me to do a 6 hour race with her next month! I said yes

Jeni
    OMG it was HARD

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    So how was it???
    Mtn biking always kicks my butt so much more than road riding (and racing- that's a whole other animal).
    Sure, it's hard- but if it weren't you wouldn't be so cool for going out there and kicking TAIL!!! 2nd? Congrats, girlie!!!!

Now, rest and relax (and heck- take a nap or two or three). Just be sure to tell us all about it when you wake up. Can't wait to hear all the gory details.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Awesome!!!! Yeah it's hard in it's own special way isn't it? I've only done sort of fun-races so far-- two, to be exact and yes... they're hard. I mountain biked four hours yesterday and I feel pain in places I have never felt before.

I'll betcha you'll be psyched about the next time though! I'm glad you survived AND that you placed so well. Way to go!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

I'm alive!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I ate a bratwurst, a turkey burger, some pasta salad, and two beers. I've had a shower, some Aleve, and a nap. I feel great!

Today's race report -

Registration opened at 9 am. Expert 9:30, Sport 10:30, Beginner 11:30. The BF (Geoff) and I decided it would be our first mountain bike race as we both race road bikes together. I had been to a women's only mountain bike clinic earlier last month at this park. They had a "so you want to race MTB's meeting" and I learned what I needed to know. I learned - I really wanna do it!

Got to the park around 10 am. Saw two other girls from the clinic! YEAH! We instantly bonded and started catching up. Geoff saw customers he knew from the shop and went to chat with them. (Guess he didn't want to hang out with a bunch of girls)

A field of about 30 beginner men and about 10 beginner women. I figured they would start us a few mintues apart but no, it was a mass start. Us chicks hung in the back as we knew we'd just be getting passed a lot at the beginning. One of the husbands had scouted the course for his wife and he shared that info with us. Glad he did as the course was a little confusing.

So we start out and it was a little slow. There were a lot of people out there. I thought I'd have the hardest time with how to give people enough room for passing me BUT turns out I only got passed by one person and I was doing the passing!

I shifted to go up a steep hill and thought I dropped my chain. I tried to pedal through it but it just got worse. One of my new best friends was behind me and said I had a stick. I hopped off and a couple girls scooted passed me. Yeah, it was a big stick, a really big one, wrapped around my chain and in my rear derailluer. Jumped back on and my chain was still screwed up. Grrr I was loosing time on everyone one! Hopped off again and ran it through the gears and finally got going again. My RD is a little on the crooked side to put it midly! (BF was not amused as he'll be the one fixing it!)

Pedalling my butt off, trying to regain the ground I'd lost, I really started to lose it. I didn't wear my heart rate monitor and regretted it. I'm sure I posted my highest numbers of the season today. Asthama + humidity + high heart rate = I'M GOING TO DIE. I rode conservatively for the next 10 or 15 minutes trying to breath and get my heart rate back down into the triple digits. Passed a few gals and guys and finally got back to business.

Saw my man on the course, it switches back and forth in several areas with the trail coming close to the other trails. Actually, he saw me first and gave me his "looking good honey!" cheer. I didn't know exactly how far ahead of me he was until I FINALLY got to the part where he had been when he cheered me on. He was really moving!

I walked a scary downhill and didn't have enough power to get up two of the bigger hills but oh well.

I was really dragging by the end (8 miles) but managed to pass another guy. On the final climb back to the start/finish line, I saw my honey and my new girlfriend cheering me on. I don't think he's ever seen me struggle as much as I did at the race today. I got off my bike, put my hands on my legs and tried to inhale as much air as I could.

So, there it is - my first MTB race report. I've got a road race Saturday and I'm doing another MTB race on Sunday.

Things learned -

Do not forget heart rate monitor
    Don't start out too fast
    Look out for derailluer eating sticks
    Bring plain water bottle and use it to pour head to get core temp back down (I was wearing my camelbak and had sports drink in it)
    Figure out how to do scary downhill

One of the girls fiance's took pictures. I'll post them when I get them!

Jeni

awesome!!!!

great work. sounds scary. i walked down a scary down hill during my first place too. It's really steep and long. BUT it did it the second time around and I did it again another time. you know what to do, stay loose in the arms, stand on those pedals and really recline back past your seat... it gets easier. just takes some guts and practice!

i can't wait to see pics
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Quote Originally Posted by TrekJeni View Post
    Mtb racing = I'M GOING TO DIE.
    There. I fixed your report for you.

Welcome to the world of mtb racing. Wicked fun, and if you chose your races with a little care you'll find everyone is really encouraging no matter your skill level.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Awesome report-felt like we were right there with you! Congrats on your first (of many) mtb races!!!

Now I wanna do one...
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Great job Jeni! Second place in your first race...that's awesome! Congrats!

Addiction....Obsession...

is there a difference???

congrats on second and welcome to the club!!!
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

congrats on your first race!

Mtb racing is very different from road racing from what i have been told. Congrats on getting over the stick in the wheel and finishing your race!

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

Great job, congrats! I'm 2 for 2 this year so far. The first race no one was in my age group for novice women. A couple weekends ago I was 1st out of three in the age group and 13/30 for all novice riders! Another race this Saturday. The temperature and humidity are looking kind of scarey I've never ridden the course! I'm worrried!!!

Trek Jeni, sounds like a great job on your 1st M. race. Too bad about the stick.

Thanks all!
    Only after I posted it here in the MTB forum did I realize I should have put it in the Race Results Forum instead. I've posted a new question. Hope some of you can help me out.

jeni