Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

1st ride - new bike, clipless and 1st fall....

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got my pretty new Dolce about a month ago, but took my first ride today. (The day after I developed a really bad corneal ulcer, was hospitalized, and have been dealing with that.) I had practiced a little bit at home on the trainer, but decided just to go for it and do my normal ride. I love riding it, it is so much fun. So much easier than my old bike (Trek hybrid). I was much faster, I managed to average ~ 3 mph faster that I was which I am really happy with considering I was focusing on operating my new bike and not killing myself with my first go clipless pedals. I was doing really good clipping in and out (mostly because I was super paranoid and would unclip way early - luckily I have the Crank Brothers Quattros, so I can pedal pretty well unclipped. I managed it safely for a little over 24 miles until I was crossing the last street to get to the parking lot. I unclipped my right foot, to stop at the street, but for some reason, I tried to put mu left foot down - plunk! Road rash on my elbow and knee and a HUGE bruise on my thigh. But I managed to protect the bike! I can't wait for my next ride!!!

Ouch.

of course you did the sensible thing - save the bike !! !

Ouch also about the corneal ulcer, hope it heals off well.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by keeper View Post
    I got my pretty new Dolce about a month ago

Me too, and I LOVE HER! She's a beautiful baby isn't she i also had my first (few) clipless falls last week. It gets better.

Also, what I've been telling people when they ask is "no, I didn't fall. The bike did, I only threw myself under it to protect it!"

Sounds like congrats are in order for two of you - Keeper and Mixie!

So cool and fun and exciting to have a new bike

... enjoy them ladies, and here's wishing you many happy miles on your handsome steeds

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by keeper View Post
    I got my pretty new Dolce about a month ago,
    I got my Dolce about a month ago too! It is sweet!! But I crashed mine the first time out and sprained my wrist . . . and I was used to the clipless pedals. I haven't been able to ride in almost three weeks. Sorry you got so skinned up! Hope that heals quickly. Other than the sprain, I just got some bruises, not much to speak of. Can't wait to get back on the saddle .

Quote Originally Posted by LaDolceVita View Post
    I got my Dolce about a month ago too! It is sweet!! But I crashed mine the first time out and sprained my wrist . . . and I was used to the clipless pedals. I haven't been able to ride in almost three weeks. Sorry you got so skinned up! Hope that heals quickly. Other than the sprain, I just got some bruises, not much to speak of. Can't wait to get back on the saddle .

Ouch!! I hope you are back riding soon. I was pretty sore Monday morning, hopefully I'll remember to unclip next time!

Keeper, When I first got back on a bike a few years ago, after not riding in 30years, my DH said "don't fall", to which I answered (famous last words) "I've never fallen in my life" and immediately, CRASH!! I was used to the old-type toeclips with cleats. It's a "rite of passage".

Quote Originally Posted by Ninabike View Post
    It's a "rite of passage".
    My doctor, who is an avid cyclist, gave me some words of encouragement the other day: "You haven't ridden long enough if you haven't fallen." So I guess we've made it.

I hope to be back at it by next week. Just got to be able to shift gears!

Quote Originally Posted by mixie View Post
    Also, what I've been telling people when they ask is "no, I didn't fall. The bike did, I only threw myself under it to protect it!"

I will have to remember that answer. I have fallen more than once and I am sure I will fall again, but I ride on!
    If I can't go fast, at least I look good.

I love this!!! May have to break it out sometime (hopefully not soon).
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Quote Originally Posted by amymisk View Post
    I will have to remember that answer. I have fallen more than once and I am sure I will fall again, but I ride on!
    my (cycling) rabbi tells me everyone falls on clipless 13 times-- so I have 9 more to go-- maybe get them all in this week, perhaps??

Quote Originally Posted by batsheva View Post
    my (cycling) rabbi tells me everyone falls on clipless 13 times
    UH-OH--13!? And I thought I was out of the woods...........
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Please don't say I have to fall 8 more times. This is one time I hope the dear rabbi is wrong!
    It's all about the journey (my reason for riding slower)

That's hilarious!

I wish I had that line in my repertoire the 6 (yes, that's SIX) times I've fallen while clipped in!

And keeper, congrats on your new bike!
    Keep calm and carry on...

Wow I'll never go clipless

Hello all,
    I'm just getting into biking after a 4 day vacation in France. I bike thru Bourgoune in a self guided wine tour. Now that I'm back, I can't stop thinking about the tour, planning the next one, and shopping touring bikes.

Sure enough I come home and the next day, splat, I fall off my bike. My left elbow is still healing. One thing for sure, I'm staying away from the clipless pedals!! Its not worth the falls.

M