Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July 29 rides

July 29 rides

To disable ads, please log-in.

Oh what a beautiful morning! The sun is shining, the birds are singing and the skies are clear. I decided to skip the club rides today and ride out in my little town. At about the 6 mile mark I came upon a bird (barn swallow) on the side of the road. I stopped to see if it was hurt. It was okay it had recently left the security of its nest. The two of us spent a few minutes checking each other out and I think it quickly realized I was not going to harm it. It sat on my finger for about 30 seconds before it decided to test its wings and off it went to a tree on the other side of the road. It was a beautiful encounter and one I shall cherish. The rest of the ride was uneventful. My legs were quite heavy in the beginning and I had trouble getting comfortable on my saddle due to the nasty bruises popping up on my bottom and inner thigh as of a result of my rear end collison on yesterday's ride. However, at about the 15 mile mark things seemed to settle into place, I found my cadence and tossed my chain up on my big ring and flew home. I rode 24 miles today and averaged 16.8 mph - yet another good day on the bike.
    Marcie

We rode from Zurich to Moscow

That's a small hamlet (actually just a couple of houses) right on the german border, would you believe it. I even hauled our rather large camera in a backpack all the way but there isn't even a sign to prove it.

Total ride 137 km - 1200 meters elevation gain (there were some hills but I would never have guessed you collect that much along the way).

We were about 2 kph faster on average than when we did our century beginning of the month. You really notice that. And I haven't been riding often (only 3 times this month). MAN that hurt. Halfway already, my quads were burning and we had headwind, and all I could do was tuck in behind DBF & try not go get too too slow up hills. EEK.
    If it wasn't for drafting behind DBF I would have been dead slow.

I nearly passed out getting my sorry a*** into the shower.
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 07-29-2007 at 09:07 AM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

I'm sold on my new anatomica saddle. After starting over, re-measuring, and really tensioning the saddle, I've now dialed it in. My old legs are back and then some with no quad burn. My mph has actually increased as well as speeds on some hills. I'm not really obsessed by numbers - it's just that compared to the adjustment before, I want to make sure I'm getting as much forward motion with each pedal stroke. Now just a few micro-adjustments and future shorts purchases will probably have less chamois up front compared to the ones I have now.

What a feeling to have that saddle disappear. Yay ! I did a couple of evenings of hill intervals last week - I never minded hills too much but hills now are actually more comfortable. Today I was able to get in my first 40+ mile ride with the new adjustments. Comfortable all the way through, so much so I get into the zone - I have to remember to drink because I forget. Today's av speed and time was better yet. Interesting, around 42 miles my butt would bonk before my body. Now I might need to adjust the pacing for longer rides as I've never really body bonked before my butt did.

Mak- what a beautiful story, thanks for sharing!
    Alpine- For a minute I was scratching my head thinking, I was good at geography and I don't get how this is possible. Zurich to Moscow hehe.

We did 43.5 miles on a new route. Mostly roads we have been on before but there were two new ones. The first 28 miles was pretty hard. A lot of rolling hills and chip seal pavement- ick! The back 15 was fast, fast, fast! I was even unwittingly sucked into drafting off an SUV. They passed me as a follwing car for a John Deere Tractor. No biggie, they were going a little faster than my pace but then we hit a hill. Apparently a John Deere cannot accelerate on a hill like my Cannondale. I got a free ride up the hill but it was not wanted.

The humidity and heat really got bad the last few miles, summer is trying to remind us we are in Texas.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by makbike View Post
    At about the 6 mile mark I came upon a bird (barn swallow) on the side of the road. I stopped to see if it was hurt. It was okay it had recently left the security of its nest. The two of us spent a few minutes checking each other out and I think it quickly realized I was not going to harm it. It sat on my finger for about 30 seconds before it decided to test its wings and off it went to a tree on the other side of the road. It was a beautiful encounter and one I shall cherish.
    What a wonderful encounter. I pray for a day when a bird will alight on my finger or hand. I tell the birds in my yard not to be afraid of me, but as soon as I show up they fly away...oh well.

I had a pleasant 47 mile ride this morning. It was a beautiful day for a ride. I went my usual ride from the house, but instead of turning west at the point of the mtn, I turned east and headed up through the benches of Salt Lake valley. Lot's of climbing. I am slow going uphill, but I chug away at it. I was hoping to retrace my ride I did for the Bike 2 Kids last Sept, but I made a wrong turn somewhere. Oh well. The ride home wasn't on the roads I would have mapped out, but there was a lot of downhill back to the house. All in all, a good ride.

Makbike--I had a brush with nature, too. A butterfly flew down my top on today's ride. Felt something, and was glad it wasn't another bee. Carefully pulled the edge of my top, and she was off unharmed!

Rode my regular 18 mile loop in lots of summer tourist traffic, but kept my head clear and didn't react to the stupid guy who screamed at me from the top of his lungs just for a laugh. Take the good with the bad.

unsupported metric woo!

We did an unsupported metric century club ride today- clocking in at just under 67 miles.
    There were 24 leaving for the various routes and somehow I ended up at the back. DH waited for me, and then we got cut off from the group by a choo choo. By the time the gates were up, no one anywhere. DH was quite mad about this and he is a mellow guy so it must have been the hot weather. We then continued on missing a turn and adding about 2 miles to our route. The ride had started in a town we were less familiar with but went into the towns we ride all the time. So, we got ourselves back on course. He was in such a mood that I just let the pedals work it out of him and finally he decided it was ok, and chirped up to me again. From that point on things were good!

We ended up going on the very loop we often take from the home, but there were a few new roads thrown in, and added on the way back "The Hills of Harvard." In this area, Harvard MA is quite well known for hill riding but we never had done any of them before. Now I understand, these are some awesome long climbs [up behind the Fruitlands for any locals].

Oddly, the ride write up claimed this was 2400 elevation gain along the whole course but we were very suspicious of that from the get go, since my GPS lat/lon points are topo corrected by Motionbased, and we knew the loop we ride was already more than that. But, so be it. End result: 4k of climbing. WOOO HOO! What fun, we did 6700 ft in a weekend! That is a lot for us.

Anyway, it was a nice ride, a little hot and humid at points but we kept up the fluids and intake well. Finished in 5:10 moving time which isn't fast but considering the route not so bad. Most of all, did not have any bike issues or rain or anything else I don't like to encounter (dogs? mean cars? etc).

YAY! Now we mostly rest before our PMC weekend. Maybe a short midweek flat ride or some swimming...

I went to Ontario and didn't leave Cailifornia

Well, after sitting in church behind the lady with a little too much perfume, I need to clear out my sinus. I read Alpine Rabbits post, and was Inspired.
    I started out buy going by La/Ontario International Airport
    Sorry This isn't an international flight. the only international Airline is Aeromexico:

here's one of my biking buddies "office" parked for the weekend:

This ranch is just to the south of the airport:

The vineyard is still in use:

I then went to the Chino airport. it's an only World War II Training center. To get there, I had go through some large scale Diary farms. That cleared out my sinuses! I saw some llama, but I was busy trying to out sprint a Stray dog, so i didn't think it would be a wise idea to take pictures.
    There is an airplane museum at the chino airport:

A lot of time, The museum will have Pilots doing dogfighting in Biplanes. Not today.
    iT was getting hot, so headed home. I ran across some more of my biking buddies in their "offices" (Black and white cars with flashing lights on the roof) meant to get you all some photos of the chino Hills and some local architecture here in Cucamonga but it was getting hot. About 40 miles in 2 1/2 hours

62 miles today. DH & I went to do a metric century; close enough i guess. I wanted flat, he added some mighty hills; and as a result I have my new record speed of 38 mph.

We rode from home to Auburn and back taking various roads to keep it interesting.

I am happy to report that they are painting bike symbols on a lot of the streets near where I live. "share the road with bikes!"
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    I have my new record speed of 38 mph.
    Congrats

Hi Tygab,

What other towns did you ride in, besides Harvard? Can you believe that I did the ride up to the Fruitlands on one of my very first road bike rides? I used to live very close to there and I have lots of good routes in Harvard and Bolton which in some places make you feel like you are in Vermont.
    Good luck next weekend and maybe then we can ride!
    Robyn

40-something miles in Park City. Lots of nice climbing and some screaming downhills. Our reward for climbing up to the Utah Olympic Park was being able to watch the aerialists practice. It's quite something to see them land in a pool instead of on the snow!

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn Maislin View Post
    Hi Tygab,

What other towns did you ride in, besides Harvard? Can you believe that I did the ride up to the Fruitlands on one of my very first road bike rides? I used to live very close to there and I have lots of good routes in Harvard and Bolton which in some places make you feel like you are in Vermont.
    Good luck next weekend and maybe then we can ride!
    Robyn
    I read that, and man you are one tough cookie to tackle these hills so early and on a hybrid!

Other towns were the usual suspects for us: Ayer, Groton, Dunstable, Pepperell, Hollis, less familiar ones: Boxboro, Acton, Littleton, Harvard...

definitely will be riding with you after we get over to the new house.

Yesterday, was a sunny winters day & I had a group ride planned.
    Leaving the house at around 6.15am, I enjoyed a quiet ride into the city, using all the main roads (since there was hardly any traffic). I even had time for a drink at a bakery.
    - total 18Km.

Starting at 8am, I joined a group ride , exploring the shared pathways, bays & quiet roads around Sydney. There were only 3 of us. Me, Geoff (the ride leader) & a newbie. She had just got a roadbike & hadn't ridden since she was a kid. Along the ride, Geoff taught her the tricks of riding a roadbike (a Trek 1400) & she only fell once. with a bit of practise, I think she will become a proper "roadie". We must have rode approx. 60Km together.

The ride finished reasonably early, so I decided to ride back home.
    I detoured via Manly beach. There's a little bit of a hill climb there, which takes you to North Head. Up there, are some of the best views of Sydney harbour. There were heaps of people at the lookouts, enjoying the blue skies.

I reckon, I rode approx. 105Km on Sunday. If I continue riding with geoff's Sunday ride, I might try for another 100Km next Sunday.

Happy riding
    Last edited by enzed; 07-29-2007 at 09:14 PM.

My DH and I got out for a 23 mile ride. I planned on going south so we wouldn't be facing the sun coming back, but I was horrified to find the road had fresh chip and seal. That effectively just leaves me 2 ways to ride with one being only 12 miles. There isn't many road in the area and most of them have a fresh coat of chip and seal. The sunflowers were in full bloom and gorgeous. My last ride on this road I saw a badger meandering across the road. Sightings of badgers are uncommon. DH said his Dad had run over a badger with a tractor and the animal just crawled away. Wish I as that tough.