Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

NZ winter riding?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,
    A friend of mine and I will be in New Zealand from Aug. 5th to Aug. 19, travelling from Aukland to Christchurch. Was wondering if there is any riding this time of year? Also was wondering if you could provide some local travel info? Thank you!
    Christina

yeah there is riding - we don't get really really cold days like in some parts of Nth America. Right now (12:30 on Sunday afternoon - it is 15 C in Auckland (although not a good example because it looks like there is a thunder storm there) and 8 C here in Christchurch. I got out on the road bike yesterday and it was fine for riding. One of the main mountain biking areas here - bottle lake - is quite close to the sea so it is sandy and rideable unless it has really been raining very hard.

What kind of riding are you wanting to do?

In terms of other travel stuff are you primarily here for business or all for pleasaure? What are you interested in other than cycling?

driving?

Is your friend driving around the North & South Islands?

If they're driving-Have them stop in Rotorua & do the Redwoods...The world MTB champs were held there last year & there's some awesome mtn biking *drool*...My dear is from there & we routinely went mtn biking there when living in NZ...

In regards to the south Island..ya might want to ask Dirt Diva or one of the other nz chickies about that...

C
    Last edited by crazycanuck; 07-28-2007 at 04:49 PM.

Thank you for all your info...

This trip is for pleasure only, but not a whole lotta time since we're doing both islands.

Regarding riding, looking to mtn. bike, primarily singletrack
    Could we rent bikes for the day in the areas you talk about riding? We will not be taking ours from the US.

We are both very outdoorsy and enjoy a variety of interests. We are looking to go hiking, kayaking (weather permitting), mtn. biking, skiing while in NZ.

Also, was wondering if you could recommend a car rental company? Are snow chains needed? We would be picking up in aukland and dropping off in christchurch. We are not sure if we want to separate it out (aukland-wellington), take ferry over as passengers, and then pick up another car in picton-christchurch OR do the whole trip with one car and pay the ferry for the car in addition. Any suggestions?

In terms of a rental car company I've used Omega on a couple of occassions and they have been fine but I think they are all much of a muchness. I think most companies recommend in terms of rental that you get one car to Wellington and then pick up another in Picton (with the same company) - because the ferry is expensive with a car. Although some high country roads are sometimes closed by snow, hardly anybody in New Zealand routinely carries snow chains. The only exception might be when you go skiing depending on which skified you go to.

I'll give some thought to some of your other questions over the next couple of days