Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Red face sigh...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Watching the end today (no I won't spoil it) I had to wonder "Is HE clean??" All I can do is pray that my boy Levi is playing by the rules. I really believe he is, but these guys are cracking my trust.. sigh..
    Yeah, I felt like crying yesterday too. And I'm not even really a Vino fan. Just the whole mess!

Quote Originally Posted by IFjane View Post
    "bad doping result?!?!?! Today's l'Equipe is reporting that an as-of-yet-unnamed rider has tested positive for testosterone, following last Thursday's stage to Montpellier. We have no information on who that might be, so we will not speculate. There were eight riders tested that day, in case you're wondering.
    Robert Hunter (stage winner)
    Michael Rasmussen (yellow jersey)
    Maxim Iglinskiy
    Erik Zabel
    Lilian Jegou
    Cristian Morini
    Kim Kirchen
    Patxi Vila...

The UCI
    will be making an announcement later today regarding the reported testosterone positive from the 11th stage last week."
    It's Cristian Moreni of the Confidis team. The team is being allowed to stay.
    Here's the story: http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/new...s/12930.0.html

He's denying his right to a B-sample, so that's as good as an admission.

~BikeMomma
    Last edited by BikeMomma; 07-25-2007 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Name misspelled
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Boonen is p.o.'ed
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Any molecular biologists out there? I was just thinking about the flow cytometry test and with the way it is done I was wondering if a high white count or the presence of antibiotics could yield a false positive. I have heard that Vinokurov's knee is infected.
    Show me a description of the test and I'll try and find out. I am a molecular biologist but have not seen articles on the method.

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    It is unimaginable how they can do this day after day. They did it in 1903 without doping, if a rider has any moral standards and a true love of the sport for sports sake they wouldn't do it. I just don't get it, they're not exactly making pro football salaries.
    a) in 1903 they already knew how to use alcohol, cocaine, even strychnine.

b) because they are not making enough money in a couple years to retire for the rest of their lives, they are desperate for wins.

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    Originally Posted by HappyAnika
    I should add that I think Floyd was framed simply because he's an American.
    I posted something awhile back (and it ticked someone off) that said "I blame the French"
    I don't entirely blame the French on this one.
    Yeah it ticks me off too. Yes the lab screws up, others do too, but come effin' on.... JUST because he was an American? V is Kazakh, Chicken is danish, and Contador is spanish. So frame them all so a French guy can win....?

Doping is in this sport like a cancer and it has been for the past 100 years.....

Edit.

I checked out the method.
    Briefly, the test uses a panel of antibodies against many (>10) red blood cell (RBC) antigens. When any of these antibodies reacts with the RBC antigens ..... the idea is that the presence of the RBC antigens varies in any population of humans and thus a homologous transfusion can be detected in a person receiving one unit of blood
    So the antibodies are specific for red blood cells. white blood cells due to infection would not skew the result and frankly, if his infection was that strong, he would not be winning time trials. Same for Antibiotics. They don't react with the antibodies in question.
    Could V claim chimaerism like Tyler H.? Apparently, one out of 8000 normal people and 8% of twins are chimeric. But this is something that every rider could have been tested for on his own free will after the H. case.
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 07-25-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: method info
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

WOW... that article with Boonen is something else... he throws down Rasmussen as well... said he believes Rasmussen is doped too...

yeah, Boonen's quotes are BEYOND PO'd...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    Could V claim chimaerism like Tyler H.? Apparently, one out of 8000 normal people and 8% of twins are chimeric. But this is something that every rider could have been tested for on his own free will after the H. case.
    If he makes that claim then IMO it would be very stupid - at least some of his tests should have detected something wrong, not just one. It would make more sense to be like Lance, don't try to make up crazy excuses, keep your cool, keep quiet and wait for the B sample. If he knows the B sample will yield the same results he should just out with it and confess.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchick68 View Post
    yeah, Boonen's quotes are BEYOND PO'd...
    He'll shut up when he's caught too.

I don't believe he's clean either, none of Quickstep, which used to be Mapei, and they've found incriminating evidence from the Mapei era.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Witl all the bad news, and hoping its just a bad nightmare, I'm taking a break and taking a snooze.

Smilingcat
    Last edited by smilingcat; 09-04-2008 at 08:16 PM.

SmilingCat, thanks for the laugh. I needed it!
    "The bicycle was the first machine to redefine successfully the notion of what is feminine. The bicycle came to symbolize something very precious to women - their independence."—Sally Fox

I watched the re-caps last night, with every so many minutes the new flash of Vino and the whole team withdrawing was a bummer for me. I made sure I got up to watch the 630am start today so I could get caught up. I was up at 5, (anticipation was getting the best of me) did some housework, then got on here to see and read all the updates before I watched it. SHould've gotten on here last night so I wouldn't have to had to get up so early, got just as much if not more from you gals than I did from the announcers this am. I will see what tonight brings, I only watched the opening, as Dh and I watch the tour nightly.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post

b) because they are not making enough money in a couple years to retire for the rest of their lives, they are desperate for wins.

I doubt even Lance made enough money from cycling to retire on tour/cycling winnings. Even if a rider is well known they'd still have to do endorsements, clothing or sell some type of coaching program to make a living.
    Last edited by Zen; 07-25-2007 at 06:04 PM.

The Jambon Report for Stage 16 over at dailypeloton.com is a good one. Locutus makes a good case for all of us fans to continue supporting cycling as a sport, despite the crap that's happened in the last two Tours.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

So what do you all think of Boonen's suggestion that dopers get a lifetime ban?
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Phil Ligget's also suggested that in the past. I think that if they were to go to such an extreme, they'd darned well better get some more reliable test protocols in place. I think the idea of permanently banning someone when there's any question of their innocence would not be right.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    That's a tough one and everyone is going to answer using their own values/morals/justice scale.

[edit- After reading Tam's post I want to preface my answer by saying it takes place in fantasy land and there's no doubt about the validity of lab results]

Part of me wants to say that everyone deserves a second chance and there was pressure from someone in team management to dope. They didn't go to the drug store and ask for a bottle of EPO.

Then there's the part of me that channels Nancy Reagan and says 'just say no". They weren't tied up and injected.

Maybe a "two strikes" rule.
    Last edited by Zen; 07-25-2007 at 06:57 PM.