Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Vino positive!!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I haven't seen any English language news on this, but apparently Vino tested positive for homologous blood transfusion after the TT:

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breve...171249Dev.html

Of note - the Châtenay-Malabry lab is again involved (maybe they're the only lab in France?).

It sounds like he's quitting the Tour now. (At the end - my French isn't 100&#37.

ETA: Now it's hitting the English language news:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007...ul07/jul25news
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I have not said this publicly, but I had a feeling he was doping. Time will tell.
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

"When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

Right after the stage win yesterday Vino was talking in the ear at length with someone. I had a strange feeling that he was telling them that problems were on the horizon or that he had decided to quit. I had a flashback to Landis and thought to myself... this will either prove that Landis was clean or that Vino will be found to have doped.
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

Pardon my expression here, but WTF is wrong with these guys???? Do they not realize how doping is ruining the grandeur of professional cycling? Do they not realize that they have soured the flavor of this year's Tour??

Pleeeeaase let this be untrue.

I just cannot understand or fathom how someone could be so freaking stupid. Thanks Vino. Thanks alot. Courage my azz!

(AAArrrrg!!!)
    Thanks for the opportunity to vent, gals.
    ~BikeMomma
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

I am also really mad about this. What are they thinking?? And then there's the guy who says Rasmussen tried to get him to bring veterinary blood replacement to Europe in a shoebox several years ago. It's all as bad as Rumsas' wife and Vandenbrooke's dog.

Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I'm sooooooo unhappy about this development. Why oh why do these boys try stunts like this?? I have been following Vino since his crash and I was so happy for him in the last stage. And now.......

I hope our Discovery boys are clean.

this makes me mad too. these guys are and have been my heroes... the people I think of and look up to when I'm out there suffering on MY bike... how freakin dare they?

it's so danged disappointing.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

The fact that Astana's pulled out of the Tour seems like an admission of guilt, but I'd still like to see a statement from Vino. After the TT, I also wondered how long it would be before there was some accusation against him, but Astana's response to this implies a lot.

At this point, I'm too stunned to feel anything but sadness. Sad that someone like Vino would feel it necessary to do something of this sort, sad that two of my heroes (Floyd and Vino) have this ugly issue hanging over them, sad that this issue exists at all. Even though, I still feel a naive, yet subdued, excitement to see who pulls through all this chaos to stand on the podium this coming Sunday. Dunno whether to believe the winner will be clean, though...
    Last edited by Kalidurga; 07-24-2007 at 10:53 AM.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchick68 View Post
    this makes me mad too. these guys are and have been my heroes... the people I think of and look up to when I'm out there suffering on MY bike... how freakin dare they?

it's so danged disappointing.
    Exactly.

I feel like crying now.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Wow- yes I just read on cnn that the Astana Team left the TdF today. How do these guys think they have the right to muddy their (and our ) sport like this?
    Don't think about Vino - think about the guys like Alberto Contador and how awesome he is....and hopefully clean and honest!

I'm so upset too. After watching his remarkable ride yesterday, I had the same flashbacks to Floyd's performance last year - amazing ride after a miserable day. I'll be skeptical of anyone at this point.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Did you guys catch the announcer saying that the head of Astana was going to give them a 10 year contract? I wonder if that contract has been voided now?

I had a great ride this morning and as I started to wane, I kept Vino's struggle in my thoughts to serve as an encouragement. Now I feel so let down.

So did Landis actually test positive, and were his levels just below the threshold for an illegal substance?

You want to believe, but, then this....sigh....But, I will wait to see what he says. As a conspiracy theorist, how hard would it be to contaminate the blood sample? Or, perhaps, he really did it.

Still I continue to back cycling. It is a sport unlike any others in terms of truly being a "team" sport. The sport doesn't breed the superstar like other sports. Sure, Armstrong was the undisputed captain for Discovery, but, when it wasn't his race, he played domestique (images of him carrying water bottles for Danielson at the Tour de Georgia). You so rarely see that (and never in the US's most popular sports).

Doping aside, cycling is unique. I remain a fan...