Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Review: Surly Long Haul Trucker

To disable ads, please log-in.

Knott and I were out enjoying all the wonders Seattle provides including now, Peets coffeeeeee. We passed by Freerange Cycles by the Burke Gilman trail and I test drove along the ship canal.

They juuuuust happened to have a Surly built up. The 46 was being built up but they had a 42 built up. I ride a 46-47 in most bikes. The reason I say "about" is the Mondonico is custom so I'm not sure what size it would be, other road bikes I've had or ridden were in that range.

"42??!!" I said but figured it's just a test ride. So after a quick adjustment of the seat off I went.

I like this bike

Handling is so steady, stable and reliable. It's not a race bike, it's not meant to be. I got the feeling that the longer I rode this bike the more I'd like it.

You can forget about bumps, it absorbs them and yet still felt crisp. The cockpit was very comfortable, everything is right where I want it to be, I felt aerodynamic enough but upright, not stretched out. Surprise, surprise, the 42 fit me.

Aesthetics: the welds are nice, TIG welds are smooth, it has a lugged front fork, the rest of the bike is TIG, the paint job is smooth but not flashy. I'm glad they went to a blue/grey, the old green was yucky. And best of all....it has spare spoke holders built into the chain stay!! Sweet.

It seems like an excellent touring bike, utility bike, commuter. Alround nice bike.

http://www.surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html
    Last edited by Trek420; 07-21-2007 at 08:07 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

the Bystander's Report:

Shop-dude brought out the 42cm and Trek's eyes lit up. "But won't it be too small?" "Well, maybe it will work!" "Hey, it's not that small!"

She's fondling the bike before it's even out of the shop. Dude tells her to ride down the block and then come back and he'll adjust the seat. She comes back with a HUGE grin on her face, didn't want to get off and let him adjust the seat (down about 3 cm, so it REALLY needed to be adjusted!) wanted to just keep riding.

I gave her directions, and she took off. I started walking after her. She came back. I gave her more directions (for westbound B-G), and she took off. I kept walking. She came back. I gave her directions for eastbound B-G, and turned around and walked the other way. She was like a ping-pong ball, bouncing between me and the landmarks I gave her, smiling the whole way.

She looked damm good on that bike. We stopped at one point and examined the critter, ooohed and aaaaahed over the very cute spoke holder (with two spokes) and the beautiful welds and the braze-ons for front and rear fenders and front and rear racks. Stroked the gorgeous subtle blue paint. "Puppy-belly smooth."

She rode some more, over curbs and around signs, ping-ponging with me at the center of her orbit. It was a good 45 minute test ride, all this in a pair of Levis and sandals! And on a very ummmm, cheap saddle.

Later when we went to REI we met a fellow with a Surly Pacer in for some repairs. He told us what he didn't like about the Pacer, and Trek pretty much decided that for what she wanted the Pacer wasn't the ticket. Looks like LHT love!

(just think, we could be The Two Surly Chicks!)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I was just looking at Surly's website today and thinking that I might want a LHT for my next commuter/run around town bike. (And being a Minneapolitan, Surly's are extra sweet.) Perhaps next year. I have always been fascinated with touring bikes and this one's just darn cool.

I want, I want!
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Quote Originally Posted by northstar View Post
    (And being a Minneapolitan, Surly's are extra sweet.) .... I want, I want!
    Are they made there?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

hard to find...

I actually tried to get a Long Haul Trucker, but because of all the press they are getting, they are pretty much sold out everywhere. When I bought my bike in May we sat down with a list of all the dealers in WA, OR, ID, and MT. Not a one had a Long Haul Trucker.
    I ended up with a Jamis Aurora instead, which I love.
    I would say if you find the Surly, go for it!! Quickly!!

Free Range Cycles and Recycled Cycles in Seattle both carry Surly LHT.

Trek test-rode one at Free Range. I saw a couple (wrong size) at Recycled Cycles, too. Free Range is very careful to keep one of each size in stock. But they sell very quickly!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I know Surly is Mpls based...if you go to their website, the photo on the front page is based on First Ave, our pride and joy nightclub downtown. Not sure if the bikes are actually built here though...

I'm also wondering Surly bikes are connected with Surly beer, which I think is local to us, too...Mmm, mmm, good!
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Just had a 42 surly cross check built up - what a fantastic bike - just thought I would join the surly love in!

Love my 52cm Surly Cross Check.

I have been thinking for some time now that I bought the wrong bike.
    the Pilot fits great and is a nice bike for someone who wants to go fast but that's definitely not me.
    One of the guys in my bike club has a Jamis Aurora I admire, I think I'll have a look at the LHT even though I don't have any money. maybe I can get one on a contingency basis.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I used to be wild for the Jamis Aurora.

But for a hundred more there is the Surly Cross Check.

And a few hundred more is the Surly Long Haul Trucker.

check the component packages. The Surly frames are gorgeous, but the components are different. (bar end shifters on the Surly completes, for example)

I love the bar end shifters, and the brake levers on the CC are just so incredibly comfortable.

I have a 42cm LHT in the sage green, which I like. I also have a 42cm Pacer. They are both sweet rides!
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I have been thinking for some time now that I bought the wrong bike.
    the Pilot fits great and is a nice bike for someone who wants to go fast but that's definitely not me.
    It's not me either. I bought a Roubaix Expert and, while it's a beautiful, fast, light bike, it's too fast/light for me. I feel like I'm riding a crystal vase on wheels. Riding over gravel trails is like using the fine china in the brick patio. Today I put a deposit on a Surly LHT, size 54cm (I'm a little over 5'8"). Now I'm trying to figure out which parts to swap for what (saddle and bars, pedals, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    It's not me either. I bought a Roubaix Expert and, while it's a beautiful, fast, light bike, it's too fast/light for me. I feel like I'm riding a crystal vase on wheels. Riding over gravel trails is like using the fine china in the brick patio. Today I put a deposit on a Surly LHT, size 54cm (I'm a little over 5'8"). Now I'm trying to figure out which parts to swap for what (saddle and bars, pedals, etc.).
    Wow, Yen, what a journey you've had finding a bike that works for you. I love your analogies. What are you going to do with the Roubaix?

I'll be curious to see how you like the LHT. Hope things are good over on the BF50+. I haven't been there in a while.

yeah...I have an Aurora. I liked the Surly too, but the Aurora just fit me better.

don't forget the Trek 520. Sweet bike if the reach isn't too much...it has a long wheel base for loaded touring and thus a longer reach.

I DO love my Jamis....
    Discipline is remembering what you want.