Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    How did you all go about buying a surly? Are there shops near you wher you could test ride ofr did you just go on blind faith and order?
    I wanted to look at them but there are no local shops that sell them so I am now awaiting arrival of a Jamis Aurora
    It was only $500 + $75 shipping. I couldn't pass it by.
    i had to go on blind faith. I went to the shop and got to see frames and spent some time standing over them while the guy from the bike shop held wheels in place to get an idea of the stand over. From that I figured the only one which fitted was the 42cm LHT, (I was also considering the cross-check).

I then explained what i wanted to another guy from the bike shop. I had a think and decided to go with all the suggestions (as i figured he knew more about this stuff than I do). A few weeks later it was built and i went and it was the lovely little bike pictured above. It's fitted really well from the start, but I think the fact i had got to play with the frames a bit meant I had a good idea that it would be ok.

nb. we can only get frames easily here, we can't get off-the peg full surly bikes.

ps. thank you for all the nice comments on the picture

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    How did you all go about buying a surly? Are there shops near you where you could test ride ofr did you just go on blind faith and order?
    I am another 42cm LHT owner. No LBS that I visited had bikes (any kind) in my size to try. For me, I had to find a responsive LBS that featured Surly bikes so they knew the bike well enough and just had to trust them on sizing after a thorough measurement.

-Sue

I have recently been reading about these bikes. They must be sweet. It looks like it would be a great touring/commuter bike. I would love to be an owner of one, but I guess I will have to wait.

Love your oics of your bikes

Red Rock

Hey Everyone! I am thinking of buying a Surly LHT. Actually, I have my road bike up for sale (Trek 1500) so I can fund the purchase of the Surly! After riding the 1500 for a while, I decided that I want something that isn't going to beat me up while riding. When I ride on rough roads, I feel totally sore and tired after riding the aluminum road bike. I am just not comfortable on the Trek!

None of the shops around here have Surly in-stock though, so I have to go with blind faith. I am small, so like the idea of the smaller wheels, but am nervous about the weight and feel of the bike. Maybe you all can help ease my concerns!?!

I am just concerned that the LHT won't be good for the shorter rides. Honestly, I have never toured, but would like the option. I guess I want something comfortable for all kinds of road riding - short, long, extra-long. Will the LHT be good for this or should I consider the Cross Check or something else?

I often ride my MTB on the road and it is sluggish, but feels more comfortable than the Trek, so...I can deal with some extra weight, but don't want a tank. Thoughts from some of the smaller LHT owners??

Thanks!

Anyone?

Bueller?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by kaian View Post
    Anyone?
    I don't have a long haul trucker and haven't ridden one, so I can't comment.

I do have a surly pacer that's set up with a flat bar and I run 700x28 tires on it... and it feels a bit like a tank. It's still much quicker than my mountain bike on the roads, and I ride it around to commute on. Very comfortable bike. I think I've done my 15 miles on it, and a friend has down about 25 on it.

It's not as quick as my road bikes, but it's still a very nice ride.

I am small, so like the idea of the smaller wheels, but am nervous about the weight and feel of the bike. Maybe you all can help ease my concerns!?!

I am just concerned that the LHT won't be good for the shorter rides. Honestly, I have never toured, but would like the option. I guess I want something comfortable for all kinds of road riding - short, long, extra-long. Will the LHT be good for this or should I consider the Cross Check or something else?
    Sorry about the late reply, I did not see your post until today. I think the LHT is great for short and long rides. It is my only bike. Check out the Surly users group and you will see post after post of great rides with the LHT.

The Cross Check is a bit more nimble but depending upon how small you are, it may not work. When I began looking, I wanted a Cross Check but the smallest frame was simply too large for me. I am 5'3".

-Sue
    Burning fat, building fitness . . . one mile at a time . . . one hill at a time.

Thanks for that link - very helpful! I think I am pretty much sold on the LHT! Now I just need to sell my Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by canonsue View Post
    The Cross Check is a bit more nimble but depending upon how small you are, it may not work. When I began looking, I wanted a Cross Check but the smallest frame was simply too large for me. I am 5'3".

-Sue
    This was also my experience. I didn't get to try out any fully built bikes but by looking at some frames and seeing how high they would be I found out that even with the 42cm cross-check frame there'd be no standover room.

In terms of how heavy etc. they are, for me my LHT is the lightest most nimble bike I have had, but then the one I had before was a very clunky tank and I don't have a road bike. It's lovely to ride. I commute most days and have a 13mile round trip. I've also done some longer loaded rides (so far only up to 30 miles at once but much hillier terrain) and it's been great.

I ordered my 42cm olive green Surly LHT this past Saturday! I am excited, but also nervous about affording it. I sold my old road bike, but the money from that is only covering 1/2 the cost! I keep telling myself this will be THE bike though and it will increase my happiness. Some people are house-poor, I am bike-poor. hahaha.

I keep telling myself this will be THE bike though and it will increase my happiness. .
    Well my 42cm olive green LHT is my only bike and it has definitely increased my happiness

Thumbs up Pilot vs LHT

First of, I'm not female - I hope my thought are welcome here.
    Zen wrote that she has a Pilot and wanted is looking at a "touring" style bike. I too have a Pilot, my first really nice bike - I love it. However, when I got my Surly LHT, it became my daily ride. I use it for commuting (16 miles into Washington DC) club rides, shopping, day tours, and I hope to do my first solo tour from Maryland to North Carolina with it. The LHT is ALOT heavier than the Trek, but what the hey - with a low gear of 46 gear inches, I might be able to ride it up a wall if I could just stay on. It was built up by my LBS, from a pretty "black cherry pearl" frame.
    It is certainly not my fast bike, but the ride is stable, gentle but responsive. I am a heavy guy at 240 lbs but w/ short legs (29" inseam) so I have the 54 cm with 26" wheels. I had the wheels built up as 36 spokes with XT hubs, and I use a Brooks Flyer (springs). I also added shiny chromed steel fenders.
    The Aurora is also a nice steel bike - I can't think you'll be unhappy with either so long as it fits.
    Paul

Here's my 42cm LHT, Camion, doing what she does best. This was last summer on a 12 day tour, 500 miles around southwest Colorado. This picture was taken near Silverton, CO.

On this day we climbed Molas and Coal Bank Passes. We rode off Coal Bank Pass in a thunderstorm and heavy rain. The LHT was steady and "on rails" the whole way down on the wet roads. Great bike.

I have ~6lbs in each front pannier (tent body in one, fly in the other) and ~12lbs in each rear pannier. The front rack is a Blackburn lowrider, the rear is a Delta Sherpa. They both work fine for what I carry. Panniers are Jandd Mountain and Mini Mountain.

The gearing is full XT mountain, 22-34 low gear. I like it. My shifters are 9sp bar end shifters mounted on Pauls Thumbies on the tops of my bars. I have inline 'cross brake levers too. I can shift and brake from the tops of the bars. I don't have any room left for putting a handlebar bag and I really don't need one. I use a small Camelback and keep my wallet in it. My wheels are overkill: Sun Rhinolite rims on 36h XT hubs, but they were $110/set from Nashbar; couldn't pass them up.

The orange roll on top is the Boy's foam roller for his IT band exercises he tries to do everyday. I don't mind carrying it for him if it makes his ride a bit better. He's the ride mechanic, after all.
    Last edited by eofelis; 06-24-2009 at 06:43 PM.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

Surlypacer,

I have been thinking about using Pauls Thumbies and inline brake levers. Is this something you would recommend? Can you tell us more about why you did this and the advantages?

Thanks,

-Sue
    Burning fat, building fitness . . . one mile at a time . . . one hill at a time.