Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Brooks Womens B17

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been riding this Brooks now for several months as they say it takes time to break it in... I had about 1000 miles on it and this past weekend rode the STP... 209 miles. I ended up with a BLISTER on my left cheek and a bad rash/burn on both sides where the chamois meets the saddle as I sit.

Sigh... back to the drawing board. There's GOT to be a saddle out there that will work for me. I'm gonna go try the Specialized butt measuring thing tonight...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Sorry to hear that. They shouldn't take 1000 miles to break in!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

mimi... yeah, everyone said give it 1000 miles... I'm never doing that to my poor lil bum again tho! At least my legs were good for the ride... I could've done a recovery ride Monday otherwise!

I tried a B17 myself. It was like a rock. We sold it to a 250 lb man who loved it.
    go figure. That's the thing about leather saddles, they are not all the same.
    DH has had two B17's that he loved (one he ruined). Good luck on your quest.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I hope you can find a saddle that will remain comfortable through 209 miles in one weekend! If you find one you should write a thread on it cause' I'm sure lots of women here would want to try it!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

mimi... yeah I know 2 guys who LOVE their Brooks...

Lisa... trust me, if I can find it, I'll be singing it's praises!

Thanks for your review.. I'm trying to decide right now what to get!

No saddle works for everyone...

Central Coast Double - 209 miles in one day on my Brooks Finesse.

I've ridden 5 double centuries, countless centuries and several 200Ks on this saddle.

I have three of them - one on each of my road bikes and one on the tandem.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

b17

I have a men's B17 ,and I have put about 1200 miles on it ,and its not broken in yet. By broken in I mean there are no "indents". It looks new except for the scratches on it. The longest distance I've gone was 71 miles...no chafing ,no rashes ,but my crotch gets a bit sore after 50 miles or so ,but its gone the next day. I do like it ,but I'm thinking either my sits bones are more than 5 1/2 inches and I'm on the frame ,or I need to move it more forward. I don't think any saddle would be comfortable after sitting 3 hours on it. Darcy ,and I are going to do a Century in September ,so I will see how I feel after that.

Love my Brooks B67 saddles. Wide enough for my sit bones, and SPRINGS to even out the bumps!

After a 60 mile ride, it's my legs that are tired, not my heine. First time I've ever had a saddle that truly fit me.

I've made indents, and they are not right on the frame! whooo-hoo!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I ordered the B68 last night!!! I can't wait until it gets here!!!!!!!! I'm on my dh's 10 year old Serfas right now -- and it is more comfty than what I was using.. I forgot the brand name - but I just bought it at REI about two months ago..

yeah, it seems like people who love them REALLY love them... sure wish it had worked for me... sigh...

my friend Bill has them on all his bikes...

You know it could be THAT particular saddle. My two green Finesses seemed to conform to my butt right out of the box. The black one I have took a few rides. I also have a much cheaper Brooks on my commute bike and it still has no indentations after 18 months. Okay, so I'm only on it ten minutes at a time...

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I was just thinking. Maybe you are expecting too much from the saddle?
    Most people that ride really long distances no matter what saddle they are on end up with sore and tortured butts. 200 miles is a rather long ride.

I don't know anyone that did it that didn't have sore sitbones, or chafing or something like that. I read a bunch of ride reports from the PBP (Paris Brest Paris 1200 k ride) and SORE BUTTS is the #1 complaint, well, and lack of sleep.

how are you after a 50 mile ride?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

it could be the saddle... but now I have to admit I am scared off Brooks.

mimi... I know some soreness is to be expected... but I had an inch long blister on one side and burn marks on both sides... THAT is why I know this one isn't for me... my bro has done the CA Triple Crown without anything even close to blistering... and Veronica indicates she is doing doubles without blisters too...

I'm gonna try a Specialized saddle next... fingers crossed... I probably won't be doing doubles regularly, but I DO ride centuries pretty regularly... so I need something that will be more or less pain free for those distances...