Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

blisters! geez!
    well, it WAS hot

I wish you good luck with your next saddle!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I've had my bike since last Aug and since then I've put about 15 saddles on her. Some I knew right away weren't for me (too narrow usually) and took them back. The gel ones were the worst actually. Funny thing is, my mtb saddle (Specialized) was the best one out of all of them I tried on so I kept putting that one back on in between trials. It wasn't perfect, but I wasn't tortured either, even after a metric. I tried out both of Kit's saddles. She has a Brooks B-17 and a Selle Anatomica and I hated them both from the start. I can honestly say, I think I finally found the one that is right for me. I just got a Selle San Marco from Performance in the 155 width and I love it. No discomfort in the least. I recently bought some tri shorts too (with the very thin padding) and still feel just ducky, no bruising or rub.
    As these ladies said... everyone is different. Not just the width of our sit bones but how our posture is, whether we have thigh rub, if the seat is maybe a little too far front or back, etc. (I put a 0 offset seat post on and that was the final adjustment I needed. Short femurs.) Find one that fits your sit bones and that doesn't hurt you in those spots. Then pay attention to where your seat is in relation to your pedals, tipped up/down/flat and how you hold your torso.
    BTW, both REI and Performance have a 100% satisfaction guarantee so you can try out as many as you want.

Good luck.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerchick68 View Post
    it could be the saddle... but now I have to admit I am scared off Brooks.

mimi... I know some soreness is to be expected... but I had an inch long blister on one side and burn marks on both sides... THAT is why I know this one isn't for me... my bro has done the CA Triple Crown without anything even close to blistering... and Veronica indicates she is doing doubles without blisters too...

I'm gonna try a Specialized saddle next... fingers crossed... I probably won't be doing doubles regularly, but I DO ride centuries pretty regularly... so I need something that will be more or less pain free for those distances...
    What about your shorts/chamois? Have you ever ridden 200 miles before on any saddle where you didn't get chafing or blisters?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a male friend who does the 500 mile Ride For AIDS Research, and he swears by Bodyglide on the butt and Assos cream on the chamois for saddlesore "management," which he calls "as close to nirvana as a bike ride, which includes five centuries will ever get." I know, he's a guy, but he does some 6 hour plus rides in training and the Ride FAR is five 100-mile days in a row in Sept. It might help.

My Brooks B17 Champion Special is awesome and felt like a dream right from the start; she's good for at least 10 miles in street clothes and I get to try it for 15 miles on Sunday (it's my commuter saddle). The B17S on my cross bike felt good from the start, but not as good...summer riding has helped.

Xrayted... yeah, I think it's just a matter of finding MY saddle... I know Brooks makes a good product... it's just not good for ME.

Lisa... nope. My longest distance prior was 109. I had done 9 centuries preceding this with no issue even similar. I switched tho, because I was having thigh rub with the Terry I was on and it caused sebacious cysts that I had surgically removed. So the saddle thing has been an ongoing battle. The Brooks did NOT rub where the incision was so that was good... the blisters weren't. Shorts were Microsensors and I used Chamois Butt'r at every SAG.

Cyclo Kitty... thanks for those tips... heck, I'm willing to try that! I'll pick up some Body Glide. Gonna try the Bag Balm as well... all that stuff I consider a "cheap" fix and well worth trying out...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Specialized "Butt Measuring Thing?"

I'm new here. My husband and I are getting ready for the RSVP - about 200 miles from Seattle to Vancouver. I just bought a Terry butterfly and OUCH!!!
    Yikes, lots of pain. I like to use aerobars and have been reading that some people lower the nose to accommodate added forward weight. I'd like info from anyone who likes to use aerobars on long rides and has had problems with squeezed girly bits.

Stellar 1

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar1 View Post
    I'm new here. My husband and I are getting ready for the RSVP - about 200 miles from Seattle to Vancouver. I just bought a Terry butterfly and OUCH!!!
    Yikes, lots of pain. I like to use aerobars and have been reading that some people lower the nose to accommodate added forward weight. I'd like info from anyone who likes to use aerobars on long rides and has had problems with squeezed girly bits.

Stellar 1
    Hi Stellar!
    Welcome to TE forums.
    You posted your aerobars question in the thread about Brooks B17 saddles.
    You might want to start a new thread with your question under the "Open Topic- Cycling related" forum here at the top:
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/index.php
    I bet you'll get lots of answers if you do, because everyone will read as opposed to only people interested in the Brooks B17 saddle.
    Again- welcome, and we all look forward to hearing more from you!
    Lisa

A brooks should be positioned with the nose of the saddle level. I had gotten a little disenchanted with my 7-year-old brooks. As it turns out, I had been doing some playing with the saddle position and screwed it up.

Take a level and place it on the nose (ignore the back), adjust it until the nose is level.

I've learned not to play with the saddle tension or if I do, it's maybe a quarter turn every year.

boy in a kilt, not all brooks saddles should be level. mine pokes up a bit in the front. and it feels great that way.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Interesting piece of information, thanks.

My mindvoice was saying to start from a neutral position and adjust slowly one way or the other. What my mind hears and my fingers type are sometimes different things.

In retrospect, I probably should've just kept my mouth shut. I read things of this sort because it amazes me that women can find bicycle saddles comfortable so I'm fascinated by the sorts of problems women have and how they solve them.

I objected to the word "should"
    you could have said "a good way to start would be to start with the saddle level" because I can agree with that, it's a good way to START with a fit; but by saying should, you are suggesting that all of us who don't ride level are doing something incorrectly.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

It's always the little things that kill me.

you're not dead yet, are you?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    you're not dead yet, are you?
    I've been close to dead a few times and I'm not there yet.

Profoundly embarrassed is more like it. However, there is a valuable inter-gender communication lesson for me here. "Should" is a stronger word for women than men.

Quote Originally Posted by boy in a kilt View Post
    However, there is a valuable inter-gender communication lesson for me here. "Should" is a stronger word for women than men.
    No, it's just a stronger word for Mimi.
    Lisa