Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Laundry Tip--Diaper Oinment & Chamois

To disable ads, please log-in.

New to cycling & this forum, but glad to have found both! Working out some various pain issues on my bike, and in trying to help one problem, bleeding labia minora abrasions (oh yeah, it's way more fun in real life than in print-UGH!), I tried using both KY gel and Desitin diaper rash ointment on my tissue and also on my shorts chamois. It's what was available around the house, even though it's been a while since I actually had a kid in diapers, and for now it has helped some, but I can't get it out of my shorts, just trashed. I asked DH if he remembered how we got it out of baby clothes, and his laudry memory only came up with something about really hot water--which I don't want to do to my shorts either. Have tried just scrubbing with Zout stain remover, it doesn't budge. Any suggestions on removal? Thanks!

I hope I am not overinterpreting or intruding... but wow - bleeding abrasions on your labia minora - sounds like a serious posture or bike fit issue.

Your weight is supposed to be on your ischial tuberosities - the sit bones - not on your vaginal area. Also, your hips are not supposed to move, i.e. there should not be friction with every pedal revolution. Check your saddle height and fore-aft position, as well as tucking your belly in/bending in the lower back such that you sit on the sit bones.

For protection of the area most use a greasy cream (I've also used diaper cream for the last 2 years but for very long rides, just found something even greasier and am also trying an official "seat cream"). I understand that this mostly protects your skin from sweat and the resulting rashes, severe friction and weight distribution issues have to be solved via bike fit.

I have tried washing the chamois with shampoo before it goes in the washer. In my experience, the grease comes off.

I do not use a dryer so maybe it's too late for your shorts now; but never mind, shorts are a consumable in cycling and no one will see any stains remaining.

Rest assured even with a stain, they are still hygienic.

p.s. you are riding commando .... nekkid.... in your shorts aren't you?
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 07-19-2007 at 12:19 PM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Alpinerabbit--Thx 4 wash tip & Thoughts re:pain...

Alpinerabbit, thx for the reply--I'll try the shampoo--no dryer for my shorts either, but built up ointment is starting to soak thru the chamois and bleed into the black outside of my shorts in the crotch area--looks gross and not the nicest fashion statement for people to stare at, but the shorts are technically clean otherwise and bacteria safe I assume as you say. My bleeding tale of whoa... You hit part of the source of the problem with the bleeding labia sores right on the head about my bike fit--it needs help, and I have gotten some, but still not totally what I need--I'm pretty disguished with the LBSs I've been to for help, including the one who sold me my bike and some gear, I would have hoped after spending close to a couple thousand dollars there, I would have gotten better after the sale service with the cry of help that HEY! I've got things bleeding on me, this original fitting needs some adjustments--but short of the story is unfortunately not. Read medical cycling books on my own and concluded that just as you say, my weight centered on the soft tisse and not the sitz bones--common possible culprit, too far reach--sale BS moved seat back to keep my knee with an old injury from bending too much and hurting, well, this makes me reach too far and angle my weight on the pubic bone and not sitz bones, makes sense, but BS is small staffed and said I could leave my bike for a "few weeks" until they "got to it" to or they'd just sell/put on this other seat part and I could ride on that to see if it helped--I thought, OK, how is this gonna help without you even looking at me on my bike in the trainer to see if this is what I really need? So, I went onto another place that sold me some gear previously, and we adjusted my seat some, cleats a bit, tried another saddle (ladies cut out but too crowned cushy in the back and seemed to just angle me more forward onto the pubic bone, so not right for me--didn't buy it), and was about to put a shorter handle bar part on when the owner guy said that he thought my reach was ok by some other measurement, and that I needed to just "toughen up down there" and cyclist develop calluses over time. I have read some about this, as well as in med books of male cyclists that have developed even impotence due to improper nerve pressure. Unfortunately for me, due to past pelvic support surgeries, I already have some permanent loss of nerve sensation, and frankly, if I were to lose anymore from riding my bike, I might as well just ride straight to the convent to rest my weary head with the Sisters because that is all the nightly company this gal would need--nothing against the Sisters, but I'd rather have my bike pain fixed. Read about saddles on this site, and willing to try anything, just not sure which one. Also read about perimenapausal issues that can cause problems, and my gyno is on vacation but going in when he gets back--so, in the meantime, good ole Desitin was a quick tip to try. Also trying to vary my riding position and stand to get a saddle break--and lastly been limiting my rides to an hour as another tip--makes me sad, if I could be rid of the pains I would ride ahhhh, maybe...forever! I know realistically, I need to gradually increase my miles even without these pain issues, but, alas, my spirit just wants to get on my bike and be freed. Think I'm not alone on that one on this website! Thanks for listening to the "rant" & laundry tip. OH...btw, Q & A: yep shorts & just "nekkid" underneath as stated, you're funny

Miranda,

try refitting yourself with the help of info you can find here and on the 'net...

sale BS moved seat back to keep my knee with an old injury from bending too much and hurting, well, this makes me reach too far and angle my weight on the pubic bone and not sitz bones
    Erm. I do not see the logic.
    Fore-aft position and knee bend don't really have anything to do with each other. If you still can't reach when your kneecap is perpendicularly above the pedal axle, and your saddle height is right for you, then your top tube is overlong.

This can be fixed to an extent:

If you want your handlebars closer to you - you likely do not need a shorter stem, instead one that has a steeper angle. I thought the same (my hands got numb) and ended up getting a 25° instead of 17° angle stem, after LBS showed me the geometry of it.

Yes, cutouts are good and softer is not always better as you have noticed.
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 07-20-2007 at 02:11 AM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

"he thought my reach was ok by some other measurement, and that I needed to just "toughen up down there" and cyclist develop calluses over time."

I'm sorry, but what a jerk!!! Yeah, there's some adjustment to the whole riding thing, but BLEEDING of any kind does NOT need toughening up! I bet if it was HIS private parts doing that he'd be singing a different tune. That would be my last visit to that shop.

You might try dishwashing soap on the desitin and let them soak, then be sure to rinse the heck out of them. Anything that will cut the desitin will probably not be real friendly to the shorts, but I can see how you wouldn't want to be riding around with a skunk stripe on your rear

One other thought, you might want to try A & D Ointment -- it's in the diaper rash creme section of the store, but it's clearish gold, slightly more greasy (in a good friction relieving way), and should not leave as visible stains to deal with. I did use this some when I first started (before I found Chamois buttr) with pretty good success. I love the Chamois buttr, but don't know if would be enough to help you know since those parts are already injured- ya know?

Good luck with the stains and fit issues - you are MUCH tougher than me.

I had a similar problem when riding in the drop position for any length of time and found out it was partially contributable to the shorts I was wearing. I got a new seat (which helped some, but still had the problem, not as bad though) and adjusted the reach. Some shorts are so padded that they bunch up in the front area and can be quite painful and irritating while riding. I now use shorts with less padding and also like Vaseline best of all of the alternatives. It is clear and does not bleed the white color through like Desitin. It also seems to be the best option, for me, of keeping away the dreaded 'yeast infection' after days of riding.

crs1210...yeah, the "toughen up" story...J-Lo

crs1210...yeah, I was not jumping up and down with joy impressed at the guy's comments about "toughen up". I have heard that to an extent on the adjustment overall, but the bottom line point to the guy was that, well...my bottom was not in line on my saddle correctly! If it were, and it was my sitz bones that were getting the toughen up, I could just develop softball size calase on my rear end and maybe move towards a working J-Lo bootie, that would be fine, but on the womanhood, notta! I just think within his fitting experience he had maybe done the tricks he knew how to and whelp, that was it, end of story, sorry Charlie. I still don't know all that there is to fix the problem, but at least I know from reading, and things on this site too, that "toughen up and just keep bleeding lady" is not the only choice in the world, much less the best viable advice. So, I'll keep working. Thx for the thoughts on wash & fit.

Alpinerabbit... angle, hmm...

Alpinerabbit...

try refitting yourself with the help of info you can find here and on the 'net...

If you want your handlebars closer to you - you likely do not need a shorter stem, instead one that has a steeper angle. I thought the same (my hands got numb) and ended up getting a 25° instead of 17° angle stem, after LBS showed me the geometry of it.

Thanks for the fit advice--will keep working. I woud have never thought I would have so much to work out riding my bike. Makes my brain spin way faster than my wheels on my bike! Geez, things sure have changed from the last time I rode consistenly until I refound the bike...umm, let's see at that age my biggest worry was how not to have my pet cat jump out of the basket on my handlebars while riding! Poor cat, not sure how he survived the ride! Thx

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    Miranda,

I'm new to riding but sort of know what you might be going through. I'm extremely short waisted. We had a really hard time finding a bike that fit me properly due to this. I could find a bike to fit my legs, but then I was really stretched out when I reach the handle bars - which moved my weight way too far forward and was very uncomfortable. To help this, at my LBS when I went in for my fitting we did two things. The guy at the store tilted my handlebars up. So when my hands are on the hoods I'm a little more up. Also, we ended up putting a mountain bike stem on my bike. It probably looks a little funny to other people, but moving my handlebars just that little bit closer made a huge difference. I'm been told I need to work on my posture (which I'm told will come when I ride more) and this will help straighten my body out. My seat is as far forward as I can go and still be safe, I have a very small bike and we've adjusted the handle bars so I'm not leaning too far. My bike shop is really good and I trust them to put me where I need to be. Before anything, you need to find this. When you have a shop that you can trust to help you through problems, you believe the solutions that they're giving you. Do this and maybe try some of the things we had to do.

Hi... I'm new here - I know this thread is a little old, but I was going through the forums and your questions definitely sounded like some of the problems I used to go through (back in the day when Terry saddles were a brand new thing, and the whole idea of gear and clothing made to fit women was revolutionary).

You've gotten good advice so far, but just a couple of other things.

The first one might be really obvious to you, but it took me YEARS of bleeding labia to figure it out: Trim that hair. As short as you can get it with scissors. Shaving or waxing aren't usually a good idea because of the risk of ingrown hairs and infections. But if you're as hairy as I was, it's like sitting on a ScotchBrite pad. Of course it's going to abrade.

I also used to use really thick lubes like A&D ointment or Aquaphor, but I'm much more comfortable since switching to the lighter Chamois Butt'r - which incidentally washes right out without turning the rest of your laundry greasy.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 09-11-2007 at 06:07 PM.

I used to have the same problem with the Desitin. It starts oozing through onto the bike seat as well as being impossible to get out of the pants. I read here on TE that zinc oxide type ointment holds bacteria. I switched to Butt'r and it works great, comes out and even comes in little packets to bring along with you which is great.
    As for the rub, I can only say that I put in 3-4000 miles a year and do best with the Terry saddles--the liberator on my touring bike and a lighter one on my light weight bike. In spinning class I use a gel seat w/a cutout.
    Good luck!

I would advise you to find an LBS that can do a professional fit and one that will treat you and your body with respect. What part of the country do you live? There are lots of us here who know great LBS's that we could guide you to a good place.

Also, buy a book that can show you what/how to adjust or search "bike fit" online. There are tons of sites and they can help you get more dialed in until you can get everything evaluated by a pro. I have a strong suspicion though that they sold you a bike that doesn't fit you. Top tube height and leg length is only the start. Don't let them off the hook for selling you a bike that they didn't fit you to correctly.

I'd go with the chamois butter. It washes out nicely. But, let things heal in the meantime. You should never be bleeding from riding your bike. That azzhole that suggested you toughen up down there is an idiot.

good luck. I hope you are back on your bike and enjoying it very soon.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Sorry didn't see this topic until now.

Don't mean to shock anyone...but I've only worn padded shorts once...in the last 14 years of cycling. This includes multi-week cycling touring trips with my own baggage in my panniers.

I do mean cycling for 100 kms+ daily unpadded. Several years, I have average 5,000-6,000 kms. annually. No padded shorts.

But I use panty liners and wear panties to avoid infection problems. I seriously find it tough to wear padded shorts naked. ..when I do get slight urinary discharge or vaginal discharge occasionally. YOu know what I mean, stuff that only needs a panty liner.

I agree you should not have bleeding in labia area after cycling. Numb maybe after several whole days of back-to-back, sustained cycling.

Most experienced women cyclists that I know personally don't bother with padded shorts for a ride under approx. 50-60 kms.

If you are properly fitted on bike with bike saddle positioned in correctly..it helps enormously. Might take several trials with different saddles also.

Of course, each of us are built differently.

Thx for more thoughts

I was scrolling back thru the boards, and found some more respones in this thread. I appreciate the help. My bike still has fit issues, and I think a different saddle would help. A couple things that did help since this post were Chamois Buttr. Yep, tried and true, came right out of the short. And no skin irritation on lady bits. Carring a few pounds of winter coat now, but at the time, I went down a shorts size. Seemed really too tight at first. But, my other shorts were getting some slight bag, and this helped to not have the slightest wrinkle. I don't think I like the cut seam of the chamois tho. So, maybe on the right track with size, but another brand and chamois cut next. Also, thinner chamois, Which indeed was better with less. Now that it is slow and places seem to have more time to help, I might try one last shop locally. I'd travel somewhere if I knew it was worth it. Yes, it is too bad about the place that sold me the bike. I won't be taking my $ there for the next one. I was a spinner first, before a cyclist, love both now. One of the few lady cyclist of spinners at my gym. Ladies that think about biking outdoors sometimes ask me about where to go for a bike/gear. Unhappy campers are not the best walking billboards. Guess you reap what you sow, eh? Thx... no more Desitin for me!