Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Frame

Question Carbon Frame

To disable ads, please log-in.

Looking for an inexpensive answer...
    I'm wondering if anyone rides a Carbon frame and feels it's too damp, expecially when climbing? Is there anyone out there that's got a cheap fix?
    Lisa G

Too damp? Not sure I understand. I ride a carbon frame Aegis Swift and luuuuvvve it. No complaints (except that the paint scratches very easily, but that's just cosmetic).

What do you mean by "too damp"?

Emily

I have a carbon Trek 5200 and I find it anything BUT damp. I also find that I am a better climber on this bike than any other bike I have ever ridden. I am currently in the process of changing out my seat post and crank to see if it makes a big difference in weight/ride etc.

karen

I don't think I understand the "damp" concept either. I , too, have an Aegis Victory and it's like riding on glass. Of course, Aegis also has a different view on how to make carbon fiber bikes.
    It's a good day to be a dog.

"Damp" - a suspension/stiffness term. Used in bicycles and motorcycles.

Based on the context, I think it means "too flexible" when climbing. Or maybe "too stiff".

Well, one or the other - the two extremes of "damp".

Spazzdog (who can't find her road gear dictionary)
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Old-timers will sometimes use the phrase "dead" to describe the feel of carbon. Not quite enough road feel (like the chatter from al.) nor enough spring and liveliness from steel or ti.

Could this be what our original poster is describing???

According to my geek library, "damp" and "dead" are synonomous with "really stiff" i.e. carbon frames are very stiff, unlike aluminum or other metal alloys that are more flexible.

So, there ya go.
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Originally posted by spazzdog
    According to my geek library, "damp" and "dead" are synonomous with "really stiff" i.e. carbon frames are very stiff, unlike aluminum or other metal alloys that are more flexible.
    Hmmmm...I've always heard that aluminum frames are really stiff and can be harsh and unforgiving - and that steel is responsive and not harsh. My carbon frame really doesn't feel any different to me than my two steel-framed bikes, just lighter and faster, so I've never understood what a "dead" feeling is supposed to feel like. Yes, it smooths out the road bumps, but that's a good thing in my book! I'm no expert, but all my bikes feel great to me since they fit me - that is key. I've never ridden aluminum nor titanium so can't compare with those frame materials.

Emily

I've got an aluminum and a steel, both have carbon forks. The aluminum is a stiffer feel than the steel in terms of responsiveness and get up and go and I prefer it to the steel. But I can't say one feels much different from the other in terms of road vibration, bumps, etc. Now my husband has had two different levels of Trek carbon bikes and says one is stiffer than the other. He also has an aluminum bike, which he says beats him half to death with road vibrations, bumps, etc, but it doesn't have any carbon on it at all. Everyone I know likes different materials for different reasons.

Steph

I have a steel and a carbon.....two different geometries though. I love my steel, but I don notice a difference in feel. Mabe it's just mental, but It seems like there is more power transfer with the carbon....but what the *&^*&^ do I know? I do know I'llNEVER ride aluminum again.
    It's a good day to be a dog.

Thanks for all your replies. My bike the "damp feeling carbon" is much more comfortable than my aluminum bike. I really feel I loose power when I climb, like the bike absorbs all the power before it reaches the road. I guess that's what I mean by damp. It definitely flexes more than my aluminum. Do you guys feel the flexiblity when your at high speed, down hill? Maybe its just because it's a less expensive bike. Sounds like you guys love your Aegis bikes.
    Lisa G

Lisa,

Thanks for coming back to clarify your post.

A few thoughts:

You say that you "feel" you are loosing power, but do you KNOW you are loosing power? In other words is there a climb you ride regularly where you could actually time yourself on both bikes to see if the CF is making you slower???

It just reminds me when full suspension XC race- mountain bikes first came on the scene. Racers shunned them because they
    felt slower. When timed on technical courses however, most racers were actually faster .

Perception is not always reality.

So lets say that you discover that your CF bike really IS causing you to be slower.

You might consider checking your wheelset. A flexy wheelset will make the whole bike feel flexy.

You also did not mention which CF bike you ride. Not all CF is created equally! There are some CF noodles out there, like the old bonded CF tubes.

The third thing I would be curious to know, is this a "new" problem with the bike, or have you noticed it from the beginning? If it is a new problem you need to check for cracking or damage to the bike (focus on the stress points at the headtube junction, around the BB, and inspect the seat/chainstays AND the fork).

Good luck!

VERY good advice, pedalfaster!

CF is a very versatile material........... it can be wrapped into different thicknesses and different directions, placing the most strength exactly where it is needed, giving flexibility and comfort but also stiffness where it is needed. As pedalfaster said, tho', not all CF is created equal......... Used correctly, CF should give you a responsive, quick, stiff yet comfortable ride.
    Okay, I am definitely a CF fan - does it show?? Not everyone prefers it, I know, and it's great to have so many choices out there........ but just look at how many higher end bikes, no matter what the frame is, have carbon forks. And carbon seat stays are also becoming more common. I think it's a comfort thing.

So......... I guess what I'm saying is that the carbon fiber shouldn't be sucking up your power as you climb. It should be light and responsive and help you climb better. If not, you want to find out why.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

CF

Thanks for the advice. I have had the problem with the bike since I got it. It was a gift from my hubbie, kind of hard to say take it back. What a guy huh! I didn't think about the wheel set. Maybe I should try something different there. I don't know anyone who rides the Aegis but it sounds like everyone who writes seems to love them. I did check out the web site and wow they look great a bit over my budget. Any less expensive CF's you girls could tell me about? How about scandium? Anyone riding a scandium frame?
    Lisa G

I'm holding out for plutonium myself.