Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: other sports

To disable ads, please log-in.

I used to play softball (slow-pitch womens and co-ed) and (womens fast-pitch). I loved it. Played for about 7 years. Then I just got burned out. I played in a co-ed game last summer on my sister's team. It just wasn't the same. I've lost the desire to play that sport. Now my favorite sport is riding my bike.

Vicki Just go ride!

Funny, I've noticed that most riders prefer individual sports to team sports but I'm the other way around. I love basketball and soccer although I'm burned out on soccer right now.

My husband and I played co-ed together while we were dating and up until I started having babies. Now that my babies are getting old enough to play soccer I can live through them . But, I've been riding bikes in the dirt ever since I learned how to ride a two wheeler and I love being out on my own, checking out the scenery.

I think my next sport might be golf. I'd love to try that out.

Cheers,
    Kristina

Other sports

Assassin_x
    I do another sport any body out there do karate
    I do that at night 4 times a week for three hours. It is my other passion beside riding my bikes. I started riding again because of karate. I also tried rock climb once it was not for me but you do make it sound great. what do you feel when you get to the top and look around. What do you think is the best part of your other sport. Williamtash

Hi,

I do Aikido, another martial art. It's great for range of motion, and the cycling gives me endurance which you do not get from Aikido because it's not an aerobic sport.

Plus Aikido falls help in case you endo ;-)

TREK420

I swim when the mood strikes me. I was a distance swimmer in college, but now it's more dealing with stress. Nobody can bug you when you're head's in the water.

Veronica

Karate

trek420

How long have you been studing in your system? The karate give me the consentration and building my leg up and flexbility. It is also fun. every know and again I get ti kick a young males ego. I use to do tournament but not really any more that is for the young and my rank and age puts me with people that have studied for 20 plus years. I have their age but nut the time studing. That makes it really tought. I also found I don't think that what I need or want from my karate. It is kind of like when I ride my bike I do everything for me and it is the freedom of mind and my mind againist pain and hills and distance. And of course the fun that the big thing

williamtash

Re: Karate

" How long have you been studing in your system? "

more or less since 1980 (the more is a 4 years of Karate before, the less is taking time from training of for college) currently training for my Nidan (2nd degree black belt)

"The karate give me the concentration and building my leg up and flexbility. It is also fun. every now and again I get to kick a young males ego. "

The focus is key in cycling and you can get that from MA.

yep, it's fun when guys think I throw like a girl...yep, throw YOU like one ;-)

Not too much problem with that since my instructor is a woman the men who train in our dojo respect women Udansha or they would not travel across the planet to train with her.

"I use to do tournament but not really any more that is for the young and my rank and age puts me with people that have studied for 20 plus years. I have their age but not the time studying."

keep training, it's a lifetime sport, and keep riding too!

TREK

training

Trek,
    I have been at it about 4 1/2 shodan in okinawan kenpo. Mr instructor is a man and He good. He train with 8th Kyoshi Vic Coffin. He is the only that got me back to riding because of the MD I have and to keep me walking longer. Thw other two instuctors are women plus me so we rule the dojo. The men are ok their just look at my size which is 5' and 98lbs and think I will brake. I hope you get your nidan that great. I like the idea of a women dojo that sound great. karate and biking will always be a big part of my life. So you tain on in mind and spirit

Williamtash (sandy)

Re: Other sports

Originally posted by williamtash
    Assassin_x
    I do another sport any body out there do karate
    I do that at night 4 times a week for three hours. It is my other passion beside riding my bikes. I started riding again because of karate. I also tried rock climb once it was not for me but you do make it sound great. what do you feel when you get to the top and look around. What do you think is the best part of your other sport. Williamtash
    What questions, it does feel fantastic when you get to the top and look around. I took me a while to get used to heights, at first it was a hindrance, but I feel that I can deal with it now. It took sometime to get used to, but I started looking back behind me and I started thinking "this is beautiful" instead of "holy c**p I'm high up!".

Climbing can get your adreniline pumping sometimes, but the most gratifying climbs are ones where it's you and the rock, you just move up it concentrating on every hold and enjoying the movement of your body. Those are the ones that you look up and you can't beleive that you're at the top!

I love just getting out there, I love the rock. My favorite type of place in the world is out on the granite expanses by the ocean near Halifax. Always loved it, and could you imagine my joy when I found that you could climb that rock too!

Thanks for asking, thanks for giving me an excuse to talk about climbing

Re: training

" My instructor's a man and He's good. He trained with 8th Kyoshi Vic Coffin. "

I think I've heard of Vic Coffin. If I was to do a "hard style" I think it would be Kenpo, it's beautiful but my knees are shot and can't do the kicks.

"He is the only that got me back to riding because of the MD I have and to keep me walking longer."

My sensei , Pat Hendricks, 6th dan cycles also as well as yoga to cross train she encouraged me to bike too to get my wind up for my previous tests.

"I like the idea of a women dojo that sound great. "

Actualy the dojo is mixed, just our head instructor is a woman. We have a few women senior students also but mostly men. I have been to workshops that were women only but I do not think I'd like a all women dojo because let's face it gals...if you ever had to "use it" would probably be a man and would not like to flip out "arrrgh , he's so tall, will this work?". The guys in our dojo are great.

"karate and biking will always be a big part of my life. So you train on in mind and spirit"

well said!

TERK420

I've lifted weights about 7 years. I was leg pressing 815lbs & squatting 215lbs & I'm 41, 5'3.5", female & 123lbs with 14.8% bodyfat. I started feeling thick, so I thought I'd go lighter with the weights and get into biking!

I'm also learning to golf. I've taken about 6 lessons, golfed 18 twice & the first score was 125 and the second 109. At least I improved!!

Trek420

Your teachers name sounds like a name that I have heard. What state do you come from. I come from North carolina. I went off my bike today trying to get my clippless right pedal to work right. he shop found out I needed a shime on my right foot because my feet are so small. It is going to make working tonight the pits because we kumita tonight. Some of those kid want to kill you and I don't wear pads very often to those scrapes are going to get hit. Kyoshi Coffin says alot of names of high ranking black belts that is why I may have heard the name. Ask your sensei If he has heard of Kyoshi: I am usually surprized at who either know him or have heard of him or who has competed against him
    Well got to go I have a little one that wants a book read my grandaughter. She already think she needs to be at the dojo and she is 2. She likes to kei

Re: Trek420

"What state do you come from. I come from North carolina."

California

" Ask your sensei If he has heard of Kyoshi: I am usually surprized at who either know him or have heard of him or who has competed against him"

She may have heard of him but would not have compteted. There are no competitions in Aikdio

Martial Arts

I'm intrigued by the martial arts thread. My gym is going to be offering two martial art forms (doesn't say what) but the instructor has been in MA for 30 years and he is very intense (he's also a personal trainer - one of the few I would work with). I'm mostly interested in the ability to focus - can anybody talk about that? Also, how does MA help your cycling? Your day to day life?

Thanks
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Dogmama

Hi ,

You wanted to know how MA can help you cycling?
    Well You have to use everything you have to do it.arms legs hips
    strenght training. It also makes you have to focus past the pain of you body and draw from your center. You have to focus on what you ar doing at all times. That and it is just fun and you know that you can handle yourself in a great many situation.
    You really want to check out were and how he got his rank
    Who was hus sensei was. If he studied a single system or is he mix and matching his. That is not good. You want a clean system
    not one that fits the instuctor. If you get what I mean. You also might want to talk to grasshopper she is in MA as well as me and she what her veiw point it.