Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Anyone use a Brooks for Racing?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Right now, I'm using a Selle An-Atomica. Tom from selle-anatomica swears that if it's adjusted right, it won't chafe, but the edges of the cutout keep rubbing me, no matter how I adjust it, no matter what butter I use, and no matter how thick or thin my chamois is. Also, I know it sounds vain, but it's just not a very attractive saddle. The craftsmanship just doesn't seem as quality as a Brooks. I AM, however, addicted to the feel of a leather saddle.

SO, here's my question- Do any of you use a Brooks for racing? It's not the weight of the saddle I'm concerned about, but the setup of my bike- it's a very aggresive riding position that is more for speed than comfort.
    My handlebars are about 2" lower than my saddle, and I spend half the time in the drops, which makes me a bit nervous about riding something without a cutout (probably the cause of my an-atomica rubbing). I have been eyeing the B17 Champion Special and the Team Professional for a while now, and I wanted to see if any of you had one on a similarly set-up bike.
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

Andrea, check out the saddle that Triskelion has. (do a search for her posts with "Brooks" in there too.
    it's a different kind than what you mentioned, but it's a racing saddle.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

It's the Finesse that Triskelion likes.

I had to give up on it for just the issues you're raising. I got a new bike this spring and the improved fit meant I was spending a lot more time in the drops/hoods. It got so it was painful to even think about getting in the drops because I knew it was going to put pressure on the front. I think a Brooks could work for me if I stayed upright (for example on my touring bike), but I gave it a lot of time (and re-positioned it many times) and it just didn't work on my road bike (and I don't even race).

Everyone seems to be different though- so if you really like the idea- give it a try.

I rode on a Brooks in a tri, but I'm not sure that counts as racing. Plus my bars were about 1 or 2 inches higher than my saddle.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I ride a Brooks Finesse which is marketed as a racing saddle. But, I do not race and I do not ride in a particularly aggresive position, so consider that when you interpret my remarks. Whether one could or couldn't race with this saddle depends on the person, but one thing I noticed is that just like ones sitbones make marks and soften the rear of the saddle over time, the same thing happens with the pubic bone. So, a position that initially hurt is now comfortable. By that, I mean I had to tilt the nose down more in the beginning as I was breaking it in, and did have some discomfort in the drops, but now I am very comfortable with the nose level and rolling my hips forward into the drops. I did try some other saddles that are lighter with cut-outs to see if it could get even better, but kept coming home to my finesse. While no saddle is perfect, for me the Finesse is as good as it gets for long hours in the saddle without injury. I will add that I found that having the seat too high caused extreme nose discomfort, so that is another variable to play with. I also read on the un-atomica web page that they will make a cut out in a brooks saddle for you for $50 so that is also an option. But, I think cut-outs cause me more chafing problems than they solve, even though I swore by them for years.

Thanks for your info, everyone. I think I'm going to try to stick with the an-atomica for a little while longer before giving up. The chafing issues are on & off- some days it happens & some days it doesn't, but it doesn't seem to be related to a particualr pair of shorts, ride length, or terrain.
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

I have also read about some un atomica owners having to trim the cut-out. Perhaps you should ring them up to ask about this.