Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hello, newbie here!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello!

After months of using the treadmill to get in better shape, I finally realized that I wasn't going anywhere and I decided that I needed to try biking. My mother is into cycling (both mountain and road) and it got me interested in trying it out. So I rented a road bike and we went out twice and rode about 16 miles both times. Now I'm hooked and I'm looking for my own road bike...but in the meantime, I'm using my mom's since she's never really around to ride it anyway.

So, here I am...just getting into cycling and ready to take it out...and it has done NOTHING but rain for the past several days!! I'm talking about unpredictable thunderstorms and pouring rain...nothing is more frustrating right now and I'm still limited to the treadmill.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my new adventures in cycling (when the rain stops) and getting to know new people here too (as I'm sure I'll have questions)! I hope I'll be able to get out soon!

Emily

Welcome Emily, pleasure to have you here. I've gotten some great advice from these gals here (and a guy) and they don't make you feel silly or dumb. Enjoy your moms bike, hopefully you'll be getting your own once the bug really gets you.

welcome there are a ton of people on this board that can probably help you with anything you need to know or have questions about. good luck when the sun finally pokes out...

Welcome! You'll get a lot out of the boards here. Lots of smart, helpful people!
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

Riding in the rain is fun! There will be fewer drivers and bikers on the road.

If the road bike has very smooth tires, it's probably not a good rain bike. You want some tread for control. Fenders help keep you dry. I also have a rain jacket that's comfy even if it's very hot out and raining. I also like lights in the rain so cars can see me better. Just like with a car, give yourself more space to stop in the rain.

Now, go out and get wet (just not in a thunderstorm please, lighting strikes are too much excitement for anyone)

Quote Originally Posted by Torrilin View Post
    Riding in the rain is fun! There will be fewer drivers and bikers on the road.

If the road bike has very smooth tires, it's probably not a good rain bike. You want some tread for control. Fenders help keep you dry. I also have a rain jacket that's comfy even if it's very hot out and raining. I also like lights in the rain so cars can see me better. Just like with a car, give yourself more space to stop in the rain.

Now, go out and get wet (just not in a thunderstorm please, lighting strikes are too much excitement for anyone)
    LOL...I wouldn't mind riding in the rain so much as the thunderstorms! There is a great trail not far from me, so I don't have to be on the road for now, which is nice. I'm trying to get used to everything and the trail is perfect for that!