Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Talking 1st commute with panniers

To disable ads, please log-in.

OH BOY!!! I just finished my first commute with panniers and it was lovely!!! I have a 15 mile one way trip with about 1500 elevation gain...the temp was about 75-82 degrees. It was a relief on the shoulders for sure (I have done both backpack & messenger bag) ...the panniers was the best so far! I did not even mind the extra weight from the racks. Never felt tippy until I started a standing climb...wooooooo ooops!!! stayed upright

bike - Surly Karate Monkey
    rack - Jannd (a little rigging required for fit over the fender and brakes)
    pannier - axiom Storm (waterproof!!!)
    fenders - http://www.woodysfenders.com/ - custom made...I have an orange colored wood with purple heart wood (pinkish color) swirled through...I will have to post pics
    bars - a mountain aero bar by Dirt Head (I think...hubby found them on ebay)

I have a few more adjustments to make then I will post some pics...we are planning on trying some touring trips so it is all decked out...I can't wait to really test it out!
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

yes you do need to post pictures!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Wow!!! Now I feel like I would put these fenders on my road bike right now!!!!!

I wonder how well they work! (There's no reason why they wouldn't...) And how long they last in poor weather conditions. Hum...

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post

I wonder how well they work!

Can't give a recommendation for the fenders except how they look so far...a guy pulled up next to me at a light this morning and complimented me on them!! haha..."NIIIIICE fenders!!!!"

The creator uses a marine grade coating...not sure how many coats but a few. The wood is generally a hard wood...we talked to him on the phone and told him what we wanted. I am very happy and so is my hubby with the results! He even mounted the hardware specific to our bikes (hubby has a Surly Long Haul Trucker, which is more adaptable to fenders and racks...my Monkey had to be "hubby-rigged" to get everything to fit well together) We went with these bike choices because they do not make a touring bike in my size with 29 inch wheels that would accomidate knobbies for off-road touring and for convenience we wanted the same wheel size (oh...and he is too big for little 26 inch wheeled tourers)

OK...I could babble on and on about this cause I am excited (can you tell) I will shutup now until I can post some pics as proof..hehe!!!

Keep babbling!!! I would be excited if I had fenders like that, too!!

If it's not too personal, can I ask how much they cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    If it's not too personal, can I ask how much they cost?
    I don't mind...but as with EVERYTHING (except my Hello Kitty bell) is expensive...they were $100 a pair. The guy said he was getting ready to quit his day job to do this full-time...wonder if his prices will go up???

Hubby and I joke that we have been spending our "next car"...transportation is transportation the more we ride, the less we drive, the longer our current car will last....right???

Quote Originally Posted by bouncybouncy View Post
    I don't mind...but as with EVERYTHING (except my Hello Kitty bell) is expensive...they were $100 a pair. The guy said he was getting ready to quit his day job to do this full-time...wonder if his prices will go up???
    It's actually not that bad. I have paid $80 for a pair of bad fenders once (they were supposed to be racing fenders fitting my very tiny bike but they never worked well). $100 for something so beautiful and possibly functional... I don't think I would mind. It will have to wait a while, but I will seriously consider it for the next bike!!!

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Oh, man. Those fenders are too pretty to put on a bike to get muddy!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Oh, man. Those fenders are too pretty to put on a bike to get muddy!
    OH but Regina...I am a bad weather WUSS!!! (unless I am on a mtbike) so hopefully the fenders won't see too much mud or grime! But they have come in handy while going through residential areas where people just don't quite have a handle on sprinkler use

The shellac used on the fender appears to be thick enough to ward off any damage...and it is marine grade so it holds up well in water...and if I do put any sort of knobbies on the bike the wood fenders will come off and the plastic Freddy Fenders will go back on!!!

I saw some of those fenders in person on the trail in Little Rock. The gal riding the bike said she reads here some, so "HI, gal on bike"! The fenders are quite beautiful, and the finish was to die for. We're thinking of finishing our hardwood floors with that marine grade shellac, and now I think we will.

I can't wait to see a picture of your fenders, bouncy.

Karen

sweet fenders! thanks for sharing the link- now I know exactly what to ask for when hubby asks what he should get me for birthday/christmas/etc.

wanted to reiterate your positive thoughts on panniers- I had my first ride with panniers a few weeks ago, and would never go back to the back pack- It does take a bit to make sure the balance is okay on the bike with them- (and I had to seperate my back pack a bit to keep the weight balance on both sides), but the freedom of not having anything on my back made the ride way more enjoyable.
    The biggest benefit is how much cooler it is to bike to work without having anything on your back (way less sweaty), and now I can take the bike to do most of my shopping around town- the car is getting very lonely ...
    "the greatest that can be.... One Little Victory"

I love panniers, and have used one on the left side most of the time. (rarely do I need to use both)

I just bought a pair of Ortliebs and a back-pack adaptor to make one pannier into a backpack. Very nice system, and bright and waterproof, too!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

pics...

Those are gorgeous!!!!

I bookmarked that guy's web site. Really, really beautiful work.