Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by skunk View Post
    I have checked out every bike that has been mentioned in this thread. Locating a dealer for some of these brands on the other hand will take some time. So before I do that I can't really say anything about them.
    In the meantime you can probably still say 'thanks' for the contributions made to this thread.

And, I'm really looking forward to welcoming your girlfriend to TE, and getting to know her when she signs on in the Getting To Know You forum.

I hope you've told your GF about TE and encouraged her to log on so we can support her and welcome her to the women's cycling community.

If you've checked out many of the other forums and threads on TE, you know how much support and encouragement we offer to each other and our newer women cyclists!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I second what Starfish said.

If your girlfriend is anything like many of us women, she'll want to learn as much as she can about biking as she begins to ride. Not saying you can't teach her plenty about cycling- but there many MANY issues, tips, and experiences related specifically to women cyclists that just can't be taught by one man.

Hope you find a good bike for her!- Tell us when you do. And do tell your GF about the forum here.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for everyones help and advice. I ended up getting her a Trek 1600 WSD. She wanted a bike yesterday so I found a Trek dealer that was pretty helpful. She ended up with a WSD 51 and all she needed was a slightly longer stem.

I rode around the neighborhood with her last night and she seems to be comfortable. I'm going to take her to my training crit tonight so she can ride around traffic free.

I'll tell her to check out this forum!

Thanks for everyones help and advice. I ended up getting her a Trek 1600 WSD. She wanted a bike yesterday so I found a Trek dealer that was pretty helpful. She ended up with a WSD 51 and all she needed was a slightly longer stem.

I rode around the neighborhood with her last night and she seems to be comfortable. I'm going to take her to my training crit tonight so she can ride around traffic free.

I'll tell her to check out this forum!
    Good to read about all that Skunk! Send her our warmest welcome into the beautiful world of cycling.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Way to go!- she's got her own bike now and she's comfortable and she's riding!
    I'm glad you stepped back from the idea of building her a bike for now. It's really more about her and clearing the way for her to enjoy just having fun on a bike at first. Other bikes can come later.

Now your challenge will be to know when to hold back from the temptations of too much "teaching/correcting" and to just let her have fun without inviting your ego along. I say this not as an intended insult to YOU- it's not just you- it's human nature in general and we can all struggle with such issues. She'll have plenty of her own questions for you to answer, all in good time.
    She is lucky to have someone who cares about her, like you, to ride with and be there for her.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I spent a good 15 minutes explaining the gearing to her. I told her not to worry too much about it and after a couple of rides it'll feel like second nature.

How long do guys think I should wait before introducing her to clipless pedals? My original plan was to wait till she was comfortable with riding on the road with traffic but I'm up for any suggestions. She already hates the fact that her feet slip off the flat pedals.

How long do guys think I should wait before introducing her to clipless pedals? My original plan was to wait till she was comfortable with riding on the road with traffic but I'm up for any suggestions. She already hates the fact that her feet slip off the flat pedals.
    I would say the sooner the better. I rode with cages for the first year because the man who introduced me to cycling was comfortable with them and I didn't have the confidence to just go get my own clipless peddles.

A year later, I got started with some double sides Shimano SPDs, and I loved them immediately. Immediately.

But, the one big question mark is all about your GF's readiness. If she complains about the slipping feet, tell her there's a good option, and let her decide. Some people are more timid and like to make changes more slowly. Some want to dive in. She has to go with what level of risk-taking she is ready for.

That said, there are many, many threads here on TE all about making the transition to clipless, and she might be encouraged and comforted to read about other newbies who have gone through this decision.

I'm so glad your GF has her bike, and I second what Lisa said. Anyhow, here's to many happy rides together as your GF gets more and more confident, skilled, and enthusiastic.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

I agree that it's better to start with the clipless pedals earlier, unless she expresses high fear of them (in which case it would be her decision to make).

They really change the cycling experience, for the better (in my experience).

Is she using clipless in spinning class?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I just looked up the specs, nice choice! The carbon fork should cut the harshness of the aluminum frame (which on a positive note lets her get a light frame at low cost), and the shimano 105 10spd group is very solid, I've seen reviews comparing it to the older 9spd ultegra. I am sure she will appreciate the short reach shifters, and and the appropriately sized cranks and bars that come on the wsd bikes. Its great she was fitted for it too. Its a good mid-level bike that should definitely let her figure out if she likes cycling or not. I would say once she's comfortable with the shifting, let her go clipless. Just, be sure the system is adjusted to let her clip out easily. I am a fan of speedplay frogs cuz they are so easy to get in/out of, even though they are a mountain pedal, and like having shoes with recessed cleats for walking around.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Is she using clipless in spinning class?
    I don't think she has ever used clipless in the gym. Always just sneakers on flat pedals with cages.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    I just looked up the specs, nice choice! The carbon fork should cut the harshness of the aluminum frame (which on a positive note lets her get a light frame at low cost), and the shimano 105 10spd group is very solid, I've seen reviews comparing it to the older 9spd ultegra. I am sure she will appreciate the short reach shifters, and and the appropriately sized cranks and bars that come on the wsd bikes. Its great she was fitted for it too. Its a good mid-level bike that should definitely let her figure out if she likes cycling or not. I would say once she's comfortable with the shifting, let her go clipless. Just, be sure the system is adjusted to let her clip out easily. I am a fan of speedplay frogs cuz they are so easy to get in/out of, even though they are a mountain pedal, and like having shoes with recessed cleats for walking around.
    I was looking into the new Speedplay Light Action pedals that are supposedly super easy to clip in and out of. Has anyone tried them? I use Speedplay Zeros and love the dual sided entry. The best part is I can even get them in a color to match her bike!

I was looking into the new Speedplay Light Action pedals that are supposedly super easy to clip in and out of. Has anyone tried them? I use Speedplay Zeros and love the dual sided entry. The best part is I can even get them in a color to match her bike!
    No personal exp. with the light action, but I know several lightweight women on this board had problems with the zeros, which is in part what drove the development of the light action. I am a fan of speedplay though. If the reviews aren't good, you could always consider some tried and true X2s which I bet you could pick up on ebay. I know lots of women that like them.

My new bike is arriving tomorrow, and I'll be putting Speedplay Light Actions on it right away. I already have the pedals, and I already mounted the cleats to my new shoes. It will be my first time on clipless pedals, so I'll report back here about how it went!

I'm a super lightweight and I love the Speedplay X series. I have a small foot and they are very easy to clip out of. I was able to use them on my trainer after I tore my MCL/ACL and still clip out with the injured leg.

I haven't used the light action but they look like they are the right place to start.