Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Risk= $4000.00 in dental work

Benefit = much less.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    There are plenty of reasons to ride without hands, and being smug is only one of them. I fixed my ponytail while sitting straight up, yesterday. It's a useful skill, but I don't think it's a requirement to be good cyclist. Don't hate me because I can.

Karen
    Count me impressed!

I have a hard enough time fixing a ponytail without being on a bike (or doing anything else, for that matter) at the same time!

Karen in Boise

Took me a little while to figure it out. I had it wrong because when I tried I would slow down to make it "safer". Turns out I was simply going too slow.

Once I get over 15mph I'm fine. Bike isn't so twitchy.

I'll take both hands off to stretch, remove arm warmers, fumble with a gel pack or bar that isn't cooperating, and fix a leaky water bottle lid.

I'm glad I asked.

It's not so much that I think I should be able to -- I wondered if I was dork not to be able to. Yes, those "victory flings" made me wonder!

Since a lot of us don't ride 'no hands' I won't worry about it. I just thought it might be a "skills" thing that good riders should develop. (Um, I can answer a cell phone while I'm riding -- if I'm going slow in my neighborhood and there's no traffic. I shouldn't have admitted that, should I?)

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    Risk= $4000.00 in dental work

Benefit = much less.
    The point is, your dental work is at risk just by being on the bike at all.

Karen

I love to sit up on a quiet stretch of street or path and cruise along no-handed. I've always done so, on every bike I can remember. It's tougher when I have panniers, but it just takes a bit more attention to balancing with my hips. It's a nice, restful feeling for me. I usually do it when riding home from work (or wherever), and I turn off the busy street onto my quiet street, sit up, look around, and slowly pedal that last two blocks. Nothing flashy or speedy. Just being happy on the bike.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Quote Originally Posted by pooks View Post
    I'm glad I asked.

It's not so much that I think I should be able to -- I wondered if I was dork not to be able to. Yes, those "victory flings" made me wonder!

Since a lot of us don't ride 'no hands' I won't worry about it. I just thought it might be a "skills" thing that good riders should develop. (Um, I can answer a cell phone while I'm riding -- if I'm going slow in my neighborhood and there's no traffic. I shouldn't have admitted that, should I?)
    It's a pretty useful skill. Turn signals are kind of important, and they use the same physical skillset.

I can't really ride no hands right now, and turn signals are *hard*. When I am comfortable riding no hands, turn signals are a lot easier.

I was watching the Tour a couple of days ago & saw footage of a sprinter crossing the finish line first while making runner's sprinting motions with his arms. It was pretty funny (and impressive).

The one time I've won, I only raised one hand
    My training partner is trying to teach me how to go no hands- not for winning, but for stuff like clothing adjustments, eating, stretching, etc. that you may want to do while training/racing. So far I can only coast for a few seconds. I start to feel wobbly when I start pedaling, but I'm going to work my way up to it. He can actually make turns and go over bumps with no hands. I'm always tempted to push him over when he does it... but that would mean finding a new training buddy!
    Because not every fast cyclist is a toothpick...

Brick House Blog

remark about smugness retracted here. When I made it I was thinking of a particular incident when a rather large rider passed me on what my husband pointed out was a P.O.S. bike and then proceeded to disappear down the trail with his hands resting behind his head(after passing several other riders). His body language seemd to say, "look, I'm a big guy on a P.O.S. bike and I'm mopping the floor with all of you!" I was thinking "you GO, big guy!" at the time, so my asessment of smugness isn't necessarily a bad thing...

I'm glad to learn that there are also useful reasons why one would ride hands free.

I can't ride hands off and admire all of you who do!
    If I can't go fast, at least I look good.

My teeth don't meet in the center so I can't rip open a gel or snack bar with one hand and my teeth. I want to learn to ride no handed so I can open those suckers!!

Velogirl posted a great, great trick on how to teach yourself recently. She noted it takes "commitment", i.e. you have to sit straight, not hover over the bars.

She suggested starting by taking one hand off and putting it on your thigh, then the other hand, on your thigh as well. Moving the arms around etc. takes a lot more time, practice, effort, etc. But thanks to that trick I'm now consistently able to sit with no hands for up to a minute (under perfect conditions). I wouldn't do it going down a steep hill in traffic (seen downtown Vancouver), and I can't do it to perform some action yet because the movement makes me loose my balance, but I might get there.

I figure out it's a core-strength exercise.

My DH is the king of riding no hands. Last week on our tour was his first time ever riding a road bike (Bianchi Via Nirone 7)m he's always ridden a mountain bike or a bmx (as a kid). He took video from the bike, picked flowers from the side of the road while riding, etc. Scared me to death, but barely a wobble came from his bike. Me, I've never been able to ride no-handed. Not on my clunky wide-tired mountain bike, not on the many test-ride road bikes I've tried out, and certainly not on the Bianchi Dama She I rode on our tour last week. Toward the end of the week I got so I could ride one-handed though (using one hand to flip the map or wipe my nose). I still haven't mastered getting to my water bottle while on the bike though and also have trouble making turn signals. DH says he gained a lot of skills as a child when he had a paper route. He says, "Try cycling with 50 pounds of newspapers and having to throw them from the moving bike." I guess that would do it! I spied him doing that "smugness" move a few times as well, but I don't think he was being smug at all. He says it was because he was getting pain/soreness from the bent over position and this was his way of stretching out without having to get off the bike.
    Last edited by michelem; 07-10-2007 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torrilin View Post
    It's a pretty useful skill. Turn signals are kind of important, and they use the same physical skillset.

I can't really ride no hands right now, and turn signals are *hard*. When I am comfortable riding no hands, turn signals are a lot easier.
    Well, there ya go. I assumed I was the only one who had trouble with them. I'm getting better, though. Sloooooowly.

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    The point is, your dental work is at risk just by being on the bike at all.

Karen
    But much more so if I ride the bike WITH NO HANDS.
    I'm not in that much of a hurry to get anywhere.
    If i need to scratch, adjust, drink or whatever, i'll stop.

You take your risks, I'll take mine.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager