Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

crazy bus driver

To disable ads, please log-in.

a few weeks ago, my husband and i were getting on the bus. my husband had to put his bike on the bike rack on the front of the bus. so he did and put the lock thingy in place and started getting on the bus. the bus driver says "go turn the bike around." DH says ok? so he goes back to the bike rack and turns the bike to face the opposite direction.
    then the bus driver says "no, no turn the bike around." and shuts the door so DH cant get in (or hear him very well) DH is more confused. so im already on the bus and i can hear everything the bus driver is saying "yeah, try to get in now", "sure take all day." stuff like. eventually he explained that he wanted the bike on the end rack cuz that was how he could tell were the rack ended. um...ok.
    so when we get off, theres another guy putting his bike on the bus. the bus driver just honks at him and dosnt explain what he wants.again with the "turn the bike around" the guy look really confused. DH had to tell the next guy what the bus driver wanted.

Sounds like a cranky bus driver...

We have them here too! Only one really, most are pretty nice. They are usually accomodating when the bike rack is full, which I am really thankful for, there are many times I would have missed my ferry otherwise.
    I do get the occasional, why don't you just ride your bike teasing however! I guess it does seem a little wimpy not to ride my bike the 17 miles to the next town on a flat bike trail. Unfortunately, that would put me very late for work.

Quote Originally Posted by nicole309 View Post
    We have them here too! Only one really, most are pretty nice. They are usually accomodating when the bike rack is full, which I am really thankful for, there are many times I would have missed my ferry otherwise.
    I do get the occasional, why don't you just ride your bike teasing however! I guess it does seem a little wimpy not to ride my bike the 17 miles to the next town on a flat bike trail. Unfortunately, that would put me very late for work.
    yeah, for the most part we love the bus system in the seattle area. most of the bus drivers are pretty cool. i had never heard of dogs being aloud on a bus. here, we can bring our 100lb. dog on, we just need to pay adult fair.

Quote Originally Posted by abvnx View Post
    yeah, for the most part we love the bus system in the seattle area. most of the bus drivers are pretty cool. i had never heard of dogs being aloud on a bus. here, we can bring our 100lb. dog on, we just need to pay adult fair.
    If your dog weighs less do they get reduced fare?
    How about a carry-on dog?
    Does the dog have to be accompanied by a human? It would be pretty cool to train your dog to pay his own fare then you get on like you don't know him.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    If your dog weighs less do they get reduced fare?
    How about a carry-on dog?
    Does the dog have to be accompanied by a human? It would be pretty cool to train your dog to pay his own fare then you get on like you don't know him.
    i think if the dog fits on your lap, its free. also service dogs ride free.
    we were thinking of getting our dog a bus pas but he sometimes thinks he can fit in my lap

Helpful bus driver.

I really lucked out and had a quick chat with a bus driver at the transit center while waiting for my bus. (the driver was on his layover) I told him I'd like to ride my bike and put it on the bus, and did he have time to show me how the rack worked?

He was great, told me to let the driver know when I was going to put the bike on or off, showed me how to pull the rack down, which way the front of the bike should face, how to lower the locking arm onto the front wheel, and to put the bike in the front most position so the driver can see better. He also suggested I sit in the front of the bus so I can keep an eye on the bike and so I can tell the driver very clearly the stop I want and that I will be getting in front of the bus to take the bike off.

I've watched other commuters put their bikes on and off and their bikes stay steady in the rack, but I'm still nervous my bike will fall off as the bus is roaring down the freeway... gotta get over that!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson