Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first road bike

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

To disable ads, please log-in.

I second everything Emily said about 650 tires. Especially for a 5'2" women- it might make a better fitting bike for you and it won't be any slower than 700 tires. Be sure to look at Terry bikes for women.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

wow, thanks everyone for all your help. i have had the overlap issues with some of the bikes(trek 1000 and some others). i havnt really had it with the dolce. i found the c'dale synapse in a 47cm at REI and it fit me perfectly. the dolce fit me well and i can actually afford that one. also alot of the REI staff seem hell bent on selling novara. no matter what you ask novara is the best, even if it didnt feel quite right for me.

at the LBS that carried trek, the guy said that the wsd trek 1000 that came in my size would only have the 650's. he said i wouldnt get as much speed.

I am 5' 1" and I have had bikes with both 650 and 700 wheels. There is not a major difference in speed! The only reason I noticed a slight increase in my speed when I went from the 650s to 700s was a decrease in the weight of the bike and an increase in my ability! I had no toe overlap with either of them. If the bike is fit correctly, it won't happen. These 2 bikes were very different sizes and they both fit me. Differences in other parts of the geometry account for this.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by abvnx View Post
    at the LBS that carried trek, the guy said that the wsd trek 1000 that came in my size would only have the 650's. he said i wouldnt get as much speed.
    He doesn't know nothin'.
    Yes, a 6 foot tall man on a bike with 700 wheels will "probably" go faster than a 5 foot tall woman on a bike with 650 wheels. But she wouldn't be able to catch up to him if she got 700 wheels anyhow.
    The wheels should be proportionate to the bike, and the bike should be proportionate to the rider.

I can't even BEGIN to remember all the dumb things I've heard LBS guys say...especially when it comes to what a woman rider needs.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5'3"

i am not having overlap issues with cannondale synapse fem 4 with 700cc wheels on 47cm frame (small)-- i guess i could force it to cause a problem, but only by turning the handlebars right backwards and not in a turn--

the c'dale 47cm synapse fem frames is a perfect fit-- up to 30 miles since got bike 30 weeks ago and not a bit of soreness, jarring, pain, NOTHING - and if you knew how until i am, you would know how much this is cos of the synapse and not cos of me-- it was only $50 more at my LBS than the specialized dolce elite...

i couldnt afford the bike i bought either - my budget was for $700 and ending up spending $1049 (oops!) but sooooo made the right decision - i wanted a bike i would enjoy to ride, not something i wasnt happy with that i would not have looked fwd to getting out on... my advice, humbly suggested, is see if you can do the c'dale somehow-- nice 1 step up from basic but not into the big money... especially as it fit you like a dream - so many of the posts on here seem to be poor bike fot related, so if you have found THE ONE that fits, it might be worth stretching a little if you can...

look fwd to hearing more, whichever way you decide...
    batsheva

typo

3 weeks NOT 30 weeks!

[the c'dale 47cm synapse fem frames is a perfect fit-- up to 30 miles since got bike 3 weeks ago and not a bit of soreness, jarring, pain, NOTHING -
    ibatsheva[/QUOTE]

I second the 47 cm c'dale synapse 4 for fit and comfort. I didn't end up buying one, but it was a close second. I bought a Felt FW3 (over my budget) but one reason was that the geometry was almost identical to the Synapse. I was amazed at how different various brands feel. I was dreaming about a Lemond, but it definitely did not fit me. Also tested a Novara Carema (41cm) and hated it. It just didn't feel right. I think they make decent bikes, but as others have said, in-store service can vary. It helps not to go on a weekend! The shop where I rode the Synapse spent time fitting me and helped steer me in the right direction.

back to riding

I live in atlanta and started shopping for a new road bike-any suggestions on stores that are helpful? I am thinking trek, althhough I am partial to cannondales ( previous road bike).

anyone want to ride with someone just getting back into it?