Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Gel Flask Question

To disable ads, please log-in.

I use GU (Orange!) in single-serve packets. How do you get the gel into the flask without making a mess? Is it OK to dilute the gel a little bit so that it will flow better?

I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

boy, i want to know too. My DH ALWAYS makes a mess!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I buy HammerGel in the big bottles. It's a heck of a lot cheaper that way and easier to put into the flask. I mix and match flavors for variety.

I do add just a bit water to the flask to make flow more easily but I don't to the large bottle. You have to keep it refrigerated and I wouldn't want to possibly add any contamination to something that needs to keep for a long time.

By the way, the valves on the FuelBelt brand flasks are much softer rubber and easier on the teeth.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I've read somewhere that it's actually better to dilute.

You can also make your own gel:

1/3 cup honey (or 1/4 if you think it's too sweet)
    1 tbsp jam (apricot is suggested) or maple syrup or maltodextrin
    1/4 tsp salt

Mix well and pour in a flask. Add water and shake well (will make bubbles).

I have yet to try it myself but it should happen shortly. I'm sick of using individual portion packets, too much garbage...

I Usually just pour it in full strength. The only problem I've had with messes is not close the top all the way after taking a gulp. It's not fun to have gel-filled jersey pockets

I mixed the gel up with water in a measuring cup so it was pourable, then poured it into a flask. If it wasn't diluted, I couldn't get it to squirt out of the flask.

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    I use GU (Orange!) in single-serve packets. How do you get the gel into the flask without making a mess? Is it OK to dilute the gel a little bit so that it will flow better?
    I love my GU flasks! I have found that putting the open flask in a juice glass will keep it stable while filling from the small packets. I rip the packet top off, push the opening into the top of the flask, and squeeze the GU in from packet bottom to top. Chocolate flavor is too thick to work well in flasks, although diluting with a bit of water might alleviate that. I love chocolate, but those gels are too much like eating frosting. Bleh. I do find that in cold weather, gels don't flow too well, so diluting might help there, too. Will have to try that in the fall/winter.

I have a friend who puts several Espresso Love flavored GUs in one of her water bottles, fills it with water, and shakes it up. Looks nasty ,but she likes it.
    Health is the thing that makes you feel like now is the best time of the year--Franklin Pierce Adams

Yeah - I wish GU would sell in bottles rather than just in the little packets.... I too squeeze mine into the bottle (can't tolerate Hammer ick..) without diluting it. I find I need to keep it in my pocket nozzle down, being sure to close it securely before I put it in there, or I can't squeeze the stuff out easily. (I prefer the Vanilla and Plain, which are thinner too)
    Last edited by Eden; 07-06-2007 at 12:17 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

The vanilla GU is a little thinner than the other flavors, so I just put that in first, then my Espresso Luvs, and one or two Chocolates for flavor. It doesn't seem to be too thick, but I keep it in my jersey pocket, so it's warm and melty - I try to keep it upside down to help it flow too.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I found that my flasks tend to make more of a mess than the individual serve packets (except when you keep a spent one in your jersey pocket when you get back in the car and it leaks onto your car seat fabric! Not that I'd know ANYthing about that! ).
    My Gu flask (with a pop-up top like a water bottle) never seems to close completely, leak, and when I try to push it closed with my teeth, invariably pinches me in the lip. Ouch!
    Maybe I have reject flasks. Maybe I have reject technique.
    Frankly, I think the whole lot of 'em just aren't worth the effort.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I used to do Clif Shot from the big bottle into the flask. Boy, what a disaster! Eventually Clif Shot big bottles became impossible to find, and then I discovered Clif Shot Bloks. Joy and rapture! Fuel for slobs!

My friend who is a devout gel user took posession of my flask. She has no problem. I dunno how she does it....
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson