Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Reisling Trail - Clare SA

To disable ads, please log-in.

Have some holidays coming up and have been thinking of riding all or part of the Reisling Trail leaving from Clare, South Australia. I have a map and have read the blurb in a brochure, but was wondering if anybody could give me an opinion on trail condition, terrain and difficulty. A work colleague of my hb rode the trail with her kids and thought it was quite challenging, which seemed to contradict the info in the brochure I have. (Mind you, I don't think she had ridden a bike for quite a while and isn't into exercise.)

I'm not going to do the ride to visit the wineries, I just want to explore the countryside and possibly visit a cafe along the way.

I've not ridden it but seen parts of the trail as my sister used to live in Clare. It is mainly sealed though there are short gravelly parts (we were staying near Watervale so that is mainly the section I saw). I don't think it looked particularly challenging as it is pretty much flat the whole way though I don't think there is much shade so that would probably make it seem worse for someone doing it with kids, more so if the weather was like SA has been experiencing recently. I don't think I'd do it on a road bike but a hybrid or something with slightly meatier tyres would handle the Riesling Trail easily (I think) :-)

Laterider - Did you end up going as your original post was a while ago. What did you think?

Quote Originally Posted by beetle View Post
    I've not ridden it but seen parts of the trail as my sister used to live in Clare. It is mainly sealed though there are short gravelly parts (we were staying near Watervale so that is mainly the section I saw). I don't think it looked particularly challenging as it is pretty much flat the whole way though I don't think there is much shade so that would probably make it seem worse for someone doing it with kids, more so if the weather was like SA has been experiencing recently. I don't think I'd do it on a road bike but a hybrid or something with slightly meatier tyres would handle the Riesling Trail easily (I think) :-)

Laterider - Did you end up going as your original post was a while ago. What did you think?
    Hi Beetle,

I'd given up on receiving a response to my post.

In answer to your question. No. We haven't done the ride yet. Most upset about that. Lots of reasons like weather, time commitment priorities, and the important one - lack of preparation. At one stage we were riding up to 25 km of a weekend, which would have been enough preparation for the trail ride, but we dropped our riding routine and now have to build up stamina again.

Thanks for the info regarding the trail. It's a bit hot to tackle at the moment, but perhaps late Autumn/early Winter would be better.

I saw your post and thought how cool would that be to ride by and see the wineries. Perhaps a tour? Sounds like that is not going to happen. Good luck on your eventual ride and enjoy.

Red Rock

bna

Hey laterider, have you tried the bna forum? www.bicycles.net.au

I'm sure someone over there has done it..

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Hey laterider, have you tried the bna forum? www.bicycles.net.au

I'm sure someone over there has done it..
    Thanks for the referral to the bna forum. I didn't know it existed. Looked at the site and have added it to my favourites. Thanks again.