Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT - senior citizen dog issues

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm at a loss, and thought someone out there would have some advice....

I have a 12.5 yr old Australian Shepherd, Nala, that has taken to being an escape artist.

A bit of background:
    All her life she has stayed out in the yard when I go somewhere. She was so used to being outside, that when I wanted to leave her in the house it was a wee bit of trouble to keep her from running out the door when I left.
    Last fall I had a slightly younger dog die, pretty much of old age.

After Branwen died, Nala started escaping. At first it was only after dark. But lately she's been escaping during the day. I know where she's getting out, and have tried, to no avail to block the path. Today I got a call from a lady 3 blocks away that she had caught Nala out in the street. Nala was at least on the route we usually take when I take her for her evening walk.

Nala is pretty much in good health for an old lady dog. Maybe a bit confused, going deaf, and has cataracts, but otherwise has nothing that concerns her Vet.

So I suppose she'll have to stay in the house when I'm gone, which gets to be an issue for long days or rather days that run into evenings.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Beth

Have you talked to your vet or taken Nala in for an exam? Two thoughts come to mine. First, canine alzheimer's. There are some drugs available that help with this. Most likely your vet will require a blood panel first to make sure kidney and liver are functioning at normal levels before prescribing medications.

Second thought, maybe Nala is developing some separation disorder. You might need to speak to an animal behaviorist if this is the problem.
    Marcie

Yes, I'm certain the poor thing is lonely. I don't blame her for being so focused on trying to find you.

I think I'd leave her in the house on those times when it wasn't too long before you're home. If you're going to be out late, can you ask a neighbor to go let her out for a bit and put her back in?

The other thing I would do is make sure your leaving includes some kind of tasty treat or other incredibly interesting thing for her to do in those first few minutes while you're gone. Distract her with something really good. Maybe by the time she's done she'll be calmed down about the separation.

I hope you do find a way to leave her in or close her escape hatch permanently (I bet she can jump over the fence easily, being the breed she is). I'd hate to hear that she got hit by a car on her little escapades.

Karen

I've only had an old/er cat but he would get lost due to his blindness. Between senility and not being able to see so well, he would get lost in the house. Had he been outside, he might have done the escape trick.

Your dog might be looking for Branwen and is confused. She also might be lonely. Is there any way to escape proof your house? Or (and I realize the challenges in this) is there any way to provide her a friend?

I know how frustrating and scary it must be. My cat, though housebound, would end up in really strange places and there were times it took me a long time to find him.

Could you start leaving her inside, leaving the TV or radio on for her? She's probably looking for her pal when she's getting out. She might actually like being inside after she gets use to it.

I have a 14 year old Lab mix, she is almost deaf(except around the 4th of July when I have to drug her a little because she's so terrified of the noise), has cataracts, and she too has started going out of the yard and strays 3-4 houses away. She's an indoor dog and gets a little confused in the house too. I started leaving the TV on when I leave the house. My vet says she's in good health, just old.

Good luck, let us know what you decide.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Better to leave her in the house and know she'll be there when you get back.
    Dog-proof as much as possible; lay some pee-pee papers down for her, maybe get her a Kong with treats inside, leave the radio on.

As for her trying to rush the door,well, you know you gotta be the alpha dog in the pack.

Maybe a pet-sitting service that can pop in, take her for a quick walk and a scratch behind the ears?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

First, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Branwen. I'm sure that it's still very hard for you and Nala.

Have you thought about getting Nala a new canine companion? Maybe she's lonely, since she was used to having Branwen around? I agree that leaving her in the house is the best idea--you could get those pee pads for her, especially since she's an older gal. It's great that she's in decent health.

Beth, I'm sorry for both you and Nala for the loss of Branwen. Dogs grieve too, which can be expressed in some puzzling ways. I'm quite inclined to think the poor old girl is lonely and misses her buddy terribly, and therefore misses you even more when you are not there.

Despite the challenges it my pose, please consider getting Nala a pal of some kind. It worked for our 'Cuda dog after the loss of Yogi, helped him become and excellent dog for our family.

As you think on that, I really liked the idea of providing something to keep Nala busy in the house. I used to hide treats around the house for my border collies - in toys, under toys, behind the furniture - anywhere they were allowed to be. It takes a few minutes to set up, but I think they really enjoyed it. Be sure to use really small treats if you're going to put out a lot, though....wouldn't want Nala to gain too much weight (like mine did!).

Sending butterflies to you both to help you sort this out in a very happy way!

Hugs,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

Why not just hire a professional fence company to fix the fence? The fence companies are advertised in the local yellow pages.

Darcy

I got a puppy last year who has helped my 11 yr old collie a lot (she is becoming somewhat doggy demented in her dotage). She was raised with another dog who left two years ago in a breakup (they still visit each other). I would not leave her outside - even with new fence if she is escaping. On long days - could a neighbor or pet sitter come and let her out or walk her?

Quote Originally Posted by DarcyInOregon View Post
    Why not just hire a professional fence company to fix the fence? The fence companies are advertised in the local yellow pages.
    I have to laugh - this is post-Katrina New Orleans. Finding anyone to do a "small" job is almost impossible. Took 3 months to get a contractor to fix my bathroom, and I still don't have the screen for the new window. But I digress.

The general consensus from the two lists I posed the question on what to do is the same....
    So today I'm off to the local shelter to look for a fur friend. Hopefully after my reconnaissance they'll let me bring Nala to meet and greet before we bring someone home. She has gotten along with the various dogs we meet while out on our evening walks. But meeting someone out on a walk is different than having a housemate.
    Beth

Yay, Beth!

It would be so cool for Nala to get to pick her buddy! Or at least approve.

From several past experiences like this, the indicator seems to be that when your dog sniffs the other and then kind of doesn't care that they are there, that is a good sign. I guess it means there isn't hostility or fear....I've never seen any of mine, cats or dogs, act excited and happy to meet the new buddy, but have seen a few react aggressively - of course that would be the buddy we didn't get.

Tell us all about it when you get buddy home!

Hugs and butterflies,
    ~T~

Angry GAAAK Humane Society people

I am SO disheartened! I went to three different Humane Society "adoption centers" today. For some reason these adoption centers are at various pet food stores, you don't actually go to a shelter - therefore only little dogs and cats - but you can look at their photo album of possible candidates of larger dogs, then you fill out an application and they contact you with a "match". Should have seen their faces when I told them the dogs would be outside during the day. AND they want the dog crated in the house while I'm gone. Like I have the room in my 934 sq ft house for crates big enough for 30-40 lbs dogs! Frankly I think it perfectly acceptable for dogs to stay in their yard during the day so long as they have shade, fresh water, and shelter from the weather. AND that it isn't good for a dog to remain in a crate for 10-12 hours/day. At least outside they can roam around and all that. All of the HS people told me that they don't like "outside adoptions" and probably wouldn't recommend another dog for me. But meanwhile they're still aggressively shipping animals out of the New Orleans area to other Humane Societies nationwide. I did buy their arguement that Nala might teach her new friend the escape trick.

So plan B is the local pound, where I can at least see dogs up close and personal.

Then to add the aggravation, when I came home Nala was lying REAL still, and I couldn't see her breathing. But when I touched her, her head popped up, so life is still good.
    Last edited by bmccasland; 07-07-2007 at 02:09 PM.
    Beth

Beth, so sorry that the Humane Societies are so difficult to work with! I suppose they try to do their best, but sometimes it gets in the way of honest, good, animal loving people helping a dog in need.

Quote Originally Posted by bmccasland View Post
    Frankly I think it perfectly acceptable for dogs to stay in their yard during the day so long as they have shade, fresh water, and shelter from the weather. AND that it isn't good for a dog to remain in a crate for 10-12 hours/day.
    I could not agree more! Our dogs would be staying outside in our well-shaded yard most of the time, but for the strange new behaviour that 'Cuda has of tearing apart the basement door frame.

Quote Originally Posted by bmccasland View Post
    I did buy their arguement that Nala might teach her new friend the escape trick.
    One thing about dogs, especially puppies, the new one to the pack learns from the older ones, whether the behaviour is good or bad. It would be very cool if you could block her escape area before getting the buddy, if that's possible.

Good luck at the pound - sending helpful butterflies,
    ~T~

We have centers like that but they are from rescue organizations. The animals, however, are taken from shelters.

I am so sorry it didn't go well. I think a dog outside is a wonderful thing as long as certain conditions are met and it sounds like they are. I know your area has SO many stray animals (at least that's what I hear) so why should it be so difficult??

Have you tried a rescue group? The ones I've dealt with up here have been very helpful and because a lot of the animals are fostered, they know which ones get along with other pets.