Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frogs? SPD's??

To disable ads, please log-in.

I love Frogs! Wish I could afford to put them on all my bikes, but buying a sailboat has kinda put the ole kibosh on the bike expenses for awhile. My cleats are actually recessed enough that they don't crunch when I walk in them! I have Speedplay X-2s on my roadie, and they're great when riding, but the cleats can slip on the road and are definitely a pain to walk in. I'll have Frogs on that bike one day....

As far as I'm concerned, there is no reason that you have to ride road pedals/shoes with road bikes. Yeah, some road shoes are a little stiffer than mountain shoes, but so long as you get good mountain shoes with a stiff sole, you should be fine. Unfortunately the particular Pearl Izumi shoes I have are no longer available, otherwise I'd pick up a second pair as they are SUPER comfy and fit my feet perfectly, the cleats recess great, as mentioned, they're pretty, they have stiff soles, and they're way cheaper than Sidis. Sigh.....

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I use frogs and am a roadie. The reasons I was told racers use road shoes, are to have a stiffer sole, and to not have the weight from the that allows the cleat to be recessed. But, if one buys a stiff mountain racing shoe, one can overcome the stiffness issue, and if one buys a light mountain pedal like a frog or egg beater, the shoe plus cleat plus pedal weights are comparable. The power transfer thing is crap, and only spds give hot foot, the surace area of contact between a frog and XP are comparable. Get the frogs. I started on spds and got both hot foot and had knee problems. I love my frogs, and nothig is easier to get in/out of (and I commute so I get it). I pair them with sidi dominator shoes. The may clack when all is new, but that goes away fast.

SPD Girl

I have SPDs on both my road and mountain bike. I have the A520s on my road bike which give a bigger platform, but are single sided. I have the M920s on my mountain bike. I like the unmistakable sound and feel of clipping in and have no problem clipping out on the loosest setting. They have a little bit of float and I have not had any knee issues.

I tried the Frogs and they were very easy to clip out, but I often found I was not getting clipped in or would unclip when I wasn't wanting to. Very frustrating on off-road uphills!

I like the idea of Eggbeaters for off-road mud-clearing, but like Emily, I could not get my second foot clipped in.

I like wearing MTB shoes for road also for the walk-ability of them. Just found some Sidi Dom Ruby Slippers at a deep discount to go with my new Ruby Expert