Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirrors!?!

To disable ads, please log-in.

My friend that I ride with convinced me I need a mirror. I bought "the multi mirror" by blackburn, It can fit mtb or road, i ride road. I agree that it vibrates and I found myself constantly re-adjusting and trying to readjust while riding wasn't my cup o' tea. My DH is going to see if he can tighten it somehow so it would be less of a nuisance to me. I did like the idea of being able to see what was behind me. I agree with Kathi about having the mirror, as I had some of the same issues she did, and I only used it one day. I might look into Snappypx's mirror. That looks more discreet and less vibrations..but I will give my mirror one more try after some readjustments. Good luck.

I really like the "Take-a-Look" sunglasses mirror. It's super light-weight and very adjustable. Rarely shifts at all on the bike (only when you take off your glasses and put them down). The only downside is if you stop somewhere and forget you have it on. I've gotten some pretty funny looks at the farmer's market in my sunglasses (helmet now off, hanging on my bike handlebars), with my rear-view mirror!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I have a helmet mirror and now that I've finally figured out exactly how it needs to be adjusted, I love it. It's a Third Eye mirror and it's supposed to be mounted on the inside of the helmet. However, I've got it mounted on the outside because when I put it on the inside, it was poking me in the head! I used black electical tape (tacky, yes...but it matches my HOT black helmet!) to keep it in the right spot. I would not ride without it! But I think it took me almost 2 months to get it adjusted right and to get used to it.

bar end mirror

I have mirrors that pop in the end of the bar.. they wobble. I am constantly adjusting them. I would go with the Italian end bar mirrors.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by sara View Post
    I have a helmet mirror and now that I've finally figured out exactly how it needs to be adjusted, I love it. It's a Third Eye mirror and it's supposed to be mounted on the inside of the helmet. However, I've got it mounted on the outside because when I put it on the inside, it was poking me in the head! I used black electical tape (tacky, yes...but it matches my HOT black helmet!) to keep it in the right spot. I would not ride without it! But I think it took me almost 2 months to get it adjusted right and to get used to it.
    I love my Third Eye mirror too, but yes helmet mirrors take a few weeks to adjust too. But I would suggest to you that electrical tape may not hold well enough to keep it in place- it stretches too much and doesn't stick too well. Once you have the mirror right where you want it, why not put a dot of epoxy to keep it firmly glued on the helmet?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The bike shop today suggested that one that goes on the end of the handlebar, the Mirrocyle. (?) I was looking for a link to it online, but that must not be the correct spelling.

He said it was the most stable and you could adjust the angle and tighten it up and it would stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    I get the Borg comments too with my helmet mirror and sunglasses.
    If it's not Borg comments because of the mirror, it's Dune comments because of my camelbak hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla View Post
    If it's not Borg comments because of the mirror, it's Dune comments because of my camelbak hose.
    Yes, those make me think of Dune....and of recycling one's precious water!
    Lisa

Cool!

I will have to order one. I am starting a new job and by the looks of it, I will be able to ride to work. 12 miles one way. They have shower and so I can pack my clothes. Only problem with riding is if kids need something during the day if I am at work. This is the down side. But the mirror looks like a good idea. Hope it is worth the money.
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    The cheapo sticky stuff the mirror cam with sort of melted on me in the hot weather and now I always reinforce it with epoxy when I have to right spot picked out.
    Lisa, thanks to your handy suggestion I picked up some epoxy glue over the weekend and finally my mirror is firmly anchored to my helmet. Now it doesn't fall off randomly anytime I set my helmet down or bump it against anything.

You're a friggin' genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla View Post
    Lisa, thanks to your handy suggestion I picked up some epoxy glue over the weekend and finally my mirror is firmly anchored to my helmet. Now it doesn't fall off randomly anytime I set my helmet down or bump it against anything.

You're a friggin' genius!
    Wow, thanks! Who'd a' thunk it?- that's what glue is for!
    Lisa