Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Does brand matter?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Cannondale, Diamondback, Felt, Fuji, Gary Fisher, Specialized, Trek: These are the brands of mountainbike carried by my local bike shops.

Is there anything one needs to know about these brands before buying a bike? Can they be meaningfully rated? Or is the specific model and its fit to the rider more important than the company that assembled it?

I think most brands make some good bikes. some make excellent bikes.
    and of course people tend to like to buy brands they've had good luck with before.
    and you said it. fit fit fit
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

brands

The different companies use different materials and geometries for their frames.

So all make good bikes, but that depends on what "feels" right for you.

For me, i need a small frame but some companies make smallish frames but either the standover or the forward reach are still too long. So that usual limits me to only a few types of bikes.

The best thing to do is to test ride. Its very hard to decide on a bike if yo uhaven't even sat on one.
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog