Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Raleighdon's morning commute!!!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I don't usually post his stuff, but you have to read this!

HOT DANG!!!!! WHAT A COMMUTE!.

Morning commute (story time):

I'm riding up Third Avenue downtown Seattle. It is between 6:30 and 7:00 am. I can ride about 2 blocks at a time, being stopped regularly by red lights no matter how fast I ride, so I don't get myself all sweated up on this part of my morning commute. Slightly uphill, two lanes northbound, 2 southbound. Buses predominate, and cars are prohibited between 6 and 9 am. Seattle Police Dept has 3 or 4 motorcycle cops patrolling every morning issuing tickets to drivers. So here I am riding along 10-12 mph, just cruising along, enjoying the blue skies, the seagulls and pigeons, the morning sounds and smells and there's a woman in a little silver car that gets right on my wheel. She follows me for 2 blocks and just before the light, she zooms around me, cuts back in front of me and squeals to a stop at the crosswalk. She has her window down, smoking a cigarette. I roll up to the left side of her and say, quite calmly, "Ma'am, you know they're issuing tickets to folks driving this street between 6 and 9 am. You're not supposed to be on 3rd." She's fuming. She yells back, "Well, you're only going 7 miles per hour. I've been following you for two blocks." So I move forward and position my bike again in front of her car (a LITTLE bit of a taunt here, I suppose), and the light turns. There is a bus in the right lane, so she has to wait until it pulls over to the curb to drop passengers, and we've gone nearly a block now, at 10 mph, me whistling and her steaming (or smoking). Again, she careens to the right and zooms around me, just as she goes through the intersection where the sign says "RIGHT TURN ONLY 6-9 am & 3-6 pm". And she does this right in front of a motorcycle cop who does a very nicely executed U-turn, pulls her over and as I ride past, I simply smile and wave.

Sometimes there is justice and it is meted out swiftly.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Brilliant!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Very cool!!!

Good for him - bet she won't do that again
    Last edited by Blueberry; 08-29-2007 at 04:49 PM.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Awesome. Great story.

Now THAT is a totally satisfying story. Ahhhhhhh.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Oh, yessssss. Feel the love!

(I always wave and smile at cops when I'm riding.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson