Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wow, what an incredible adventure you all had and I agree, beautiful pics there Yellow. One of my goals is to be able to finally start taking some biking vacations later this year or next. Everytime I see some of you ladies post stuff like this, I go online for weeks looking up good adventures to put on my list.

thank you so much for sharing.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Mommy View Post
    I have a NEW BIKE!!!
    Thanks to you guys I'm now the proud owner of a Juliana!!!
    Bwaa haa haa haa haa! Beware! You won't want to get back on your road bike!

I ended up riding (mtn bike) in the mountains here yesterday and heard myself saying, out loud, that I felt guilty for buying that new road bike earlier this year and that I...really...don't...want...to ride on the road. (Of course, after about 1.5 hours of climbing my legs almost expired completely, and couch potato-dom was sounding pretty good. Think I need a little break?? )

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Wow!!! What do you mean "crummy scenery?" It's sooooo beautiful!!!!! Great pictures, and great adventure story. Sounds like soooo much fun! I only like to ride my mtn bike in the winter, but your adventure makes summer riding look like so much fun. May have to re-think that (there's no ticks and spiders out there, right??? right??? )...

Thanks for sharing!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Looks like a great trip! My DH and I have been thinking about the San Juan hut to hut ride from Telluride to Moab but now I think I guided trip may be better and cheaper in the long run 'cause I wouldn't have to buy panniers and a bunch of other stuff. Plus I wouldn't have to hall all that stuff. Thanks for sharing your trip.

Jones

What a great trip! Wonderful photos, Yellow!

Are the La Sal mountains the ones in the distance in the 6th photo? And you rode OVER those?
    Keep calm and carry on...

You folks were in my neck of the woods.

It looks like it was an awesome ride!

I live in Grand Junction. I haven't mtn biked the routes you took, but I am familiar with the Gateway area. I've been to that dinosaur tracksite with a paleontological group a few years back.

Edit: I went back and looked at your pics again. It looks like you went down the Niche Road (read as "nitch"), also called Casto Wash, when you went down into Gateway. I've been up and down that road in a vehicle a few times, but not on a bike. It's quite a grade.
    Last edited by eofelis; 06-25-2007 at 12:50 PM.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

Gorgeous photos. Fisher Valley doesn't even look like a real place!

Edited to add: Where were you staying? I don't see any camping gear on those bikes (and I can't imagine hitting those speeds fully loaded)
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

Wow, those are wonderful pictures. It makes me want to dust off my neglected mountain bike and head west. Glad you guys had a fun trip.

Hi everyone! Just getting back into the swing of things (only 2 loads of laundry left to go - woohoo!). After much planning we only got one addition for the Still Life Series. Much have been all the other fun and games distracting us.

For those not in the know, the Still Life Series was started last year and is here. I'll do my best to create more this year.

SurlyPacer, yes, we rode down the Niche and then back up John Brown Canyon. The grade, road surface and exposure of the top 2.5 miles of the Niche can be pretty terrifying. Fortunately, I've gotten some of my fear of exposure under control AND the road surface was much better than when we rode the same route in 1998. Imagine trying to ride down the Niche when it's littered with fist sized rocks.

Deanna, we were with Western Spirit Cycling. I have no desire to carry my own stuff or even doing my own cooking when riding these miles and at that altitude. This isn't a trip for the coach potato, but it is a perfect trip for a fit road cyclist who wants to get into the back of beyond. Bubba and I did this tour in 1998 and loved the epic nature of the trip plus the incredible diversity of scenery. You feel on top of the world once you're rolling along the Uncompaghre Plateau.

http://www.westernspirit.com/trips/m...e_to_moab.html

If anyone wants to see the actual route I've loaded the GPS files to MotionBased here:
    Day 1 - http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3110478
    Day 2 - http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3110841
    Day 3 - http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3111040
    Day 4 - http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3111096
    Day 5 - http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3111467
    Day 6 - http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3111656

Total mileage was 194 (though I think that's a tad low as the GPS operator was bit challenged ) and climbing was 20,597'. Average elevation for the trip is in the high 8,000 ft range (and Bubba and I live at 52'). When you realize that the first day had a pass at 10,700' and one mtb mile is generally considered twice the effort of a road mile (just a general rule of thumb), this wasn't a ride for the faint of heart. And we not only paid for such masochism but Bubba and I have paid to experience it twice.

Photo links:
    http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...20Moab%202007/
    http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...Trails%202007/

Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Phenomenal pix, SK! I'm always looking forward to the next installment in the Still Life series. Loved the one of Bubba and his sister wives.

You guys truly rock. L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Very cool! Love the photos.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Running Mommy View Post
    Spencer and I have been thinking about you guys all week! He kept saying " I wonder where they are riding today mom??".... And I would reply "Oh I'm sure it's somewhere beautiful!"...
    Sounds like a ton of fun. I think Tony is considering doing something like that..
    Ohh, and in case you missed my other thread.. I have a NEW BIKE!!!
    Thanks to you guys I'm now the proud owner of a Juliana!!!
    OMG! Our blatant and totally non-subtle campaign for you worked! I noticed there was a lot of beer being consumed at the other end of the table.

How's Spencer liking that toothpaste. Mr. Yellow repeatedly said how he'd learned his lesson when requesting non-specific "manly" toothpaste. You'd think he would have learned Bubba's evil ways by now.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

WOW - love the pics guys. Glad to hear you all had a great ride. That is some beautiful scenery.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V