Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

another saddle Q: Selle Italia SLK

To disable ads, please log-in.

I like my Specialized Jett for the most part. It's wide enough at the sit bones, and pretty comfy, but it's too wide in the middle, which in hot sweaty weather means lost of chafing on the "wing" area of the chamois. I'm doing some serious damage to my shorts, and it's not very comfy. It also makes my shorts ride up some which is also uncomfortable.

My teammate sent me his Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow to try. It's nice and narrow in the middle, and I like how firm and light it feels in the seat. But it's very narrow in the back (130mm), so I was putting waaay too much pressure on my lady parts, causing pain and numbness.

Looking around, I wanted to hear any reviews on the Lady SLK. Seems to be flexible like the Jett and just as wide in the back (mine is 155mm). I hope it tapers as fast as the SLR. I like that it's still the covered carbon fiber.

Anyone tried this saddle?

I too like my jett 143, but...

I like my specialized bg jett 143 as well and have riden and raced on it all summer...
    The cutout is nice and wide, which in conjunction with the relatively flat rear platform of the saddle (as viewed from the rear) allows my perineum and labia to be completely suspended 'in air' between the contact points of my ischial tuberosities with the seat - zero pressure or burning. The rear of the seat is very firm but comfortable, with a slight flare up at the tail edge which gives the sensation of the seat pushing back when I am really driving the pedals hard and prevents the sensation of sliding off the back - a very powerful and energy efficient feel.

However, a few things don't quite 'sit well' with me about it...
    The mid section of the saddle is a bit too boxy and flat before it tapers to the nose, which causes pressure at the origin of my hamstrings (ie. near the skin crease between each leg and buttock). The nose of the saddle is just too wide for my tastes, also. And I have found positioning the saddle very finicky - even the slightest mm's change in fore-aft, seatpost height, or tilt dramatically changes the overall feel from comfortable to very uncomfortable.

So, I just got the sella italia signo gel flow and took it out for a short spin/climb...
    It has a rear width of 141mm - very close to the jett's 143mm, and it is only slightly longer nose-to-tail (<5mm longer). First, it has a cutout like the jett, but the opening is notable narrower. Second, the platform of the saddle is more curved than the jett (as viewed from the rear). Third, the rails of the saddle stay midline (instead of flairing to the back corners of the rear of the saddle like the jett) which gives the wings of the saddle notable flex on the pedal downstroke. These three things together brought my perineum and labia in closer contact with the saddle which definitely caused some midline pressure - however, my ride was not long enough to tell if that will generate pain or burning with longer rides. My first impression is that I don't like the wing flexiness, but again I need to give it more test time. The mid section curves more nicely to the nose, which was definitely more comfortable at the origin of my hamstrings, and I like the narrow nose. Finally, the gel is minimal so you still retain a comfortable firm feel.

In summary, the signo gel flow might be a good alternative for the jett 143. I'm interested to know others opinions of these two saddles. Also, what other cut-out saddles do you like (and dislike) if you like either the jett 143 or the signo gel flow?

I have the Selle Italia Lady gel flow saddle which I loved but felt it was just to wide in the transistion from back to front. The cutout is great. I think the Lady Gel flow would be the perfect saddle for me if it was a little narrower in the rear and the transistion. I then bought the SLK lady and rode about 250 miles on it. While the width is great and fits me better, the split or cutout is not wide enough and I get sore up front. Its less cushy in the back than the gel flow but still comfy. The men's version has a wider cutout in the split but its way to narrow in the back. Again maybe if they made the women't saddle with the cutout like the mens. In my quest I'm now onto the Selle Italia Prolink light. Almost as wide as the SLK, larger cutout and longer. I haven't had a chance to really test it yet, but I'm hoping this is the one.

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    I like my Specialized Jett for the most part. It's wide enough at the sit bones, and pretty comfy, but it's too wide in the middle, which in hot sweaty weather means lost of chafing on the "wing" area of the chamois.
    Quote Originally Posted by HypoxicX
    However, a few things don't quite 'sit well' with me about it... The mid section of the saddle is a bit too boxy and flat before it tapers to the nose, which causes pressure at the origin of my hamstrings (ie. near the skin crease between each leg and buttock). The nose of the saddle is just too wide for my tastes, also. And I have found positioning the saddle very finicky - even the slightest mm's change in fore-aft, seatpost height, or tilt dramatically changes the overall feel from comfortable to very uncomfortable.
    This is exactly how I feel about my Jett. It was fine for rides up to about 50-60 miles, but between 70-100 it is painful, and I've had my first case ever of saddle sores. Right now I'm still using it, but I really look forward to hearing what ends up working for you all, and I'll keep you all posted on my search, too.

Edited to add question: I have the Jett 155 based on my measurement of my seatbones, but I wonder if I should try the 143 to see if the nose is a little narrower, too. Anyone have experience going from 155 to 143?
    Last edited by Starfish; 08-03-2007 at 10:55 AM.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

I tried the 143 when I got the 155, and my bike came with a 143 Avatar. I found that the narrower the seat in the back (though not as extreme as 130), the less weight I could put on my sit bones, even though they were technically still on the BG pads. They were just too far to the side, so on the really flexible part. That meant that I had more weight over the pubis, and I'd get sore there. Not soft tissue sore because of the cutout, but on the bones. I couldn't stand going on rides long enough to test out the other width issue and chafing, but from what I remember, the insides of my legs still rubbed the sides of the saddle. The Alias was a little cushier than the Avatar, and the Jett is still a little cushier in the middle than that, but they are all about the same width regardless of seat size. The only one that's different is the Toupe, but it is still pretty flat and hard in the middle. I've heard it breaks in well, but it's too expensive for me to experiment with right now. I'm trying to find one I can borrow. It only goes up to a 143 (no 155).

So long story short, if the Jett 155 is rubbing you on the tops of your inner thighs, you won't fix that problem by going down to a 143. You might have a chance with the Toupe 143. In general, it seems you need something with more tapering from seat to nose like I do.

Thanks Surlygirl for your reviews. I'm not sure how much the Jett cutout is really doing for me (in crits or other times in the drops, I wind up riding pretty far forward on the Jett--sometimes it feels a little pinched, but it feels like I can hold a faster cadence and have a higher output in that position). Maybe the SLK lady will work.

I agree that at least from looks the Lady Gel Flow looks as wide in the transition as the Jett. I don't really mind a harder saddle if it fits properly. I liked the light, stiff race feel of the men's SLR. It was just waaaay too narrow in the back.

The only one that's different is the Toupe, but it is still pretty flat and hard in the middle. I've heard it breaks in well, but it's too expensive for me to experiment with right now. I'm trying to find one I can borrow. It only goes up to a 143 (no 155).
    The Toupe Gel comes in 155. Specialized also has the Ruby saddle coming out soon. It's the womens version of the Toupe.

I am waiting to try the Ruby. Hopefully, it will be the right saddle for me. Right now I'm ridding the Selle Italia SLK, regular not the Lady SLK. It's just a little too narrow and I would like more of a cutout.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by kerrybelle View Post
    The Toupe Gel comes in 155. Specialized also has the Ruby saddle coming out soon. It's the womens version of the Toupe.

I am waiting to try the Ruby. Hopefully, it will be the right saddle for me. Right now I'm ridding the Selle Italia SLK, regular not the Lady SLK. It's just a little too narrow and I would like more of a cutout.

Kerry
    I just discovered the Toupe Gel and thought it looked like it might be just right. I have yet to try it, though. I plan to try it, and the Ruby when it comes out. I guess what I'm hoping and waiting for is something truly T shaped...wide in back, narrow in the middle, and a big cut out.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

The "men's" Selle Italias are narrower in the middle than any Specialized IMO. Maybe they'll do better with the Ruby. The problem I saw with the Toupe which has kept me from trying it is that while it's supposed to break in well and isn't too squishy or heavy, the widest part of the sides in the middle are hard, whereas the other Specialized saddles are soft. So at least when I'm getting rubbed by my Jett where it's too wide, it's a softer surface. Then again, I am starting to take the lettering off the rails in a couple parts too where they stick out underneath!

Picture time

Hmm..what do you think based on the images?

Specialized Ruby (Gel):

(BTW, at least on the Specialized website, the Toupe is only up to 143mm. Only the Ruby version is 155mm)

Toupe team:

SLK Lady Gel FLow:

SLR Gel flow (regular) -- Narrow in rear!!

SLK Gel flow (regular) -- Supposedly about as narrow in rear as SLR

(BTW, at least on the Specialized website, the Toupe is only up to 143mm. Only the Ruby version is 155mm)

Check out their website again, the Toupe Gel does come in 155. I don't know how to load their pictures on here.

As for the pictures. I'm still just hopeful that the Ruby will be what I'm looking for.

Teh Lady SLK looks big to me.

I think I have the SLR on my mtn bike. It's ok for the trails, but again, it's also too narrow in the back.

Kerry
    Last edited by kerrybelle; 08-21-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Gel saddles and I just don't mix apparently. I went through trying out about a dozen over the last year. I ended up getting a women's Selle San Marco 155 width and I love it. Has flex but not massively. Has a cutout which I needed. Thins out real nice where I used to always get rub on my inner thigh. No more. I wear thinner tri shorts with it and it doesn't bother me at all. I actually prefer the thinner chamois now that I have this saddle. FWIW, I also got a zero offset seatpost which put me at the right distance from the pedals and handlebars (short femurs) so now I'm sitting back on my sit bones instead of on my girly bits. Good luck.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Quote Originally Posted by kerrybelle View Post
    Check out their website again, the Toupe Gel does come in 155. I don't know how to load their pictures on here.
    All I'm seeing is 130 and 143mm for the toupe gel, toupe, toupe team, and toupe world champion. The Alias and Avatar are the only road "men's" saddles in 155. Ok, I'll acknowledge that there is a PICTURE of a 155 Toupe Gel, but there is no option to actually purchase one on the website, and the only spec. listing is: "Approximate weights: 130mm=200g, 143mm=205g (+/- 5&#37". I'm guessing they're showing a picture of the Ruby Gel.

Thanks for the reply, Xrayted.
    Last edited by aicabsolut; 08-21-2007 at 05:52 PM.

Looked at the Ruby Gel today - Ooh, Baby!

I'm in Ann Arbor right now, 500 miles from home. We spent the day driving around to bike shops, and one had Specialized stuff (and I now have what ought to be an accurate sit bone measurement of 130mm (they recommended the 143mm saddle) - gee - I could have used a gel mouse pad! Or, as DH just said, a bowl of Jello.

I saw the Ruby SL Gel saddle, and I'm in love. Unrequited love at this point, but my b-day is coming up in a couple of weeks, and DH almost never tells me no.
    Hard to justify 145 smackers, though. If I buy it, it could show up here and/or Ebay. Anyway, it is just beeoooootiful! I love the white one, but after my brief experience with the silver Terry Zero X, I think it wouldn't be all that white for long (one breezy, dusty ride and the sides were brown). All I know is, I've been wishing the Vitesse HP were flatter than it is in the rear, and baby, this thing is pancake flat. And looks nice and narrow up front (although I forgot to measure it ). Nice and long, nice and narrow, nice and flat, and nice front to rear profile. It has the cutout, which didn't seem that wonderful in my Terry experiences, but I don't think it was a problem. It looks like it would be nice and hard, too, but the WTB Silverado I tried looked that way, too, but the only thing that kept that one from being perfect was the front to rear profile (too gradual = chafed at the leg attachment points).

Well, I have to think about this. They didn't have the 143 in stock anyway, just the 155, so I guess I'd have to order it. I was going to get an Aspide Glamour on Ebay, hopefully for way cheaper, but this thing has just got my head spinning. I did see an Aspide Glamour Gel-around something or other ($135), which looked nice, but not as nice, and I'd just get the regular, non-cutout one.

Xrayted: Which 155mm SSM saddle did you get?
    Last edited by Skierchickie; 09-29-2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Grrr - hit submit instead of preview - silly me

Quote Originally Posted by hypoxicX View Post
    I like my specialized bg jett 143 as well and have riden and raced on it all summer...
    I just got my first road bike, a Specialized Ruby Comp, which came with the Jett 143. It is one of the most painful things I have ever sat on. I was hoping there was a break-in period for new saddles but from what I'm reading here, if it's making me stand the last 15 miles of a 55 mile ride, it's got to go.

To try a new saddle do you just keep shelling out money until you find one that fits? Do LBSs let you try them at least? Like I said, this is my first road bike. I actually tested a 2006 model but the shop didn't have that in a triple. They ordered a 2007 for me, stating that it's exactly the same bike except for the front chain ring. Well, surprise! The seat is different, too.
    Last edited by captenaj; 09-29-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Regarding Toupe Sizing Question

Okay, I was in a shop today, and they had the Toupe and the Toupe Gel. The cardboard attachment shows check boxes with the available sizes in that model. For each model, they had a couple that showed 130 & 143, and a couple showing 130, 143, and 155. Hence the debate, I suppose. Maybe one set was from last year, and one set from this year, and they either added or eliminated the 155mm?