Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

White Dog Nipping at My Toes

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sulis and I rode nearly to Why-oh-ming today. It was teeth-chattering cold when we started, and I had only brought arm warmers. Luckily, Sulis had come prepared with a jacket she didn't want to wear (or so she said, maybe she was just being nice). But by about 10 miles in, I was ready to lose the jacket, and the pants I had on too. So there I stood taking off my clothes on the side of the road. Good thing there was very little traffic. We hid the clothes in the weeds, marking the hiding place with a broken reflector, and we continued on. Lots of rolling hills on the way out. Going out I'm thinking, "Oh man, I've got to save my legs if I'm going to make it back to the car." Those were some big rollers. But once we turned back, the road seemed to be all downhill. Weird.
    Anyway, as I'm climbing one of the bigger climbs, a big, mean, scary, snarling white dog starts barking and I can tell by the look on it's face it wants to eat me. "Not now!" I think. "Not on this hill!" But, I must save myself from being a tasty doggie snack, so I stand it up and sprint. Sulis says it looked like the dog was nipping at my tires. By the time I dared to look back, the mangy mutt was standing in the road eyeballing her. She tells me all she had to do was look the dog in the eye and tell it to STAY. Good statigy.
    A little way up the road, I'm squinting, I can't believe my eyes. Could it really be? There's a herd of cattle being driven down the road. Why is this so surprising? I'll tell you why: the only two times I have ridden bikes with Sulis, there has been a cattle drive on the road. The first time it happened in a road race, Garden Creek Gap. Click here for Sulis's race report.
    After riding about 15 miles toward Wyoming, we decided it was getting too hot and we turned around and went back. The way back was really nice. I didn't realize how much climbing we had done on the way out until we turned around and everything felt fast and easy.

It's always an adventure to ride with Sulis. She's alot of fun! Here's some picture of our ride:

Here's where we hid the clothes. See the long weeds? You couldn't see the clothes in them at all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SulisAuntieChalkCreek.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	3605

Here I am enjoying the beautiful view. I think my Amici Veloci armwarmers go fabulously with my KGSN cycling jersey!

Name:	AuntieChalkCreek.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	3603

Sulis riding past Echo Reservoir.

Name:	SulisEchoRes.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	3606

After the ride, and since we were in the neighborhood , we did some shopping at the Pearl Izumi store. I have no control there and spent WAY too much money. But, I did NEED the stuff.
    If you can read this, take a pull.

Nice ride in beautiful countryside.
    And the shopping "after-party" must have been the perfect ending for it! I hope you were able to make at least one "impulse buy". I mean it is so nice to do that when you have to spend so much and it is only things that you really REALLY NEED
    Last edited by margo49; 06-23-2007 at 07:16 PM.

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Where are the cow pictures? Nice looking scenery. Great photos!

You are so lucky to live and ride in such beautiful country. The photos are terrific. You two look so happy! I hoped you mooed at the cows.

I need to get the "h" out of the DC metro area. LOL.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Did you guys go up Chalk Creek Road? That's such a great ride. That was the subject of my Wild West Ride (complete with cowboys, a bull, and a cattle drive) last year.

Looks like you gals had a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by r900 View Post
    Where are the cow pictures? Nice looking scenery. Great photos!
    Five minutes up the road I was kicking myself for missing the cow-photo opportunity. I mean really! We keep telling you all about the cows, I really should have photos to back up the stories.
    Maybe next time. Sounds like this is a common place for cattle drives, right Yellow? It was Chalk Creek. You'll have to come with us next time. It was a great place to ride.
    If you can read this, take a pull.

Nice pictures! great idea. The trouble is, what if the weather changes and your clothes are 20 miles back. Where did you start from (to get to Wyoming)

Next ride: cow pictures!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I had so much fun riding with AuntieK. I actually wish I lived closer to this area. I would be riding Chalk Creek and around Echo lake all the time. It is gorgeous.

The hills were a challenge for me. But my shiny new wheel set (Mavik Aksyiums) almost made me fast enough to keep up with AuntieK on the climbs - almost.

The stop at PI outlet was a must, since we were in the area and all. I love that store, sigh. When AuntieK and I were laughing about how much had been spent, the cashier said that we had spent nothing. They regularly have sales close to a $1,000. Wowee!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    Where did you start from (to get to Wyoming)

Next ride: cow pictures!
    We rode Chalk Creek Road in Coalville. Its about 25 miles outside of Park City. The road takes you to the border of Utah/Wyoming, then it turns to a dirt road when you hit wyoming.

Yeah, next time we really need to capture the cows or no one is going to believe us.

Looks like a great ride, with the scenery and all. You mean there is such a thing as a PI outlet store ? Oh my, I can only dream.
    What better day there can be, riding together and shopping, sounds like heaven to me. Love the pics too.