Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Green River/Interurban question

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've not ventured south with my bike yet, but I'm looking for something longish, but also easy-ish, to do this weekend. (The hills on Bainbridge Island kicked my butt pretty hard last weekend, so I want a little break.) What are these trails like? Crowded on the weekends (relative to the Burke-Gilman/Sammamish, which are the only other ones I've ridden on)?

Any other suggestions for a flat to rolling ride of longish length (50-80 miles)? I'm willing to drive up to about 1.5 hours away to do it--for reference, I'm on Capitol Hill in Seattle.

Or anyone want to come with? (Um, I should mention that I'm not a speedy rider. Think of me like a turtle...big and plodding, but I'll get to my destination eventually.)

Discovery Trail....

http://www.peninsulatrailcoalition.com/index.htm

This is a great, mostly flat trail. It was an old railroad grade. There are however two very short and steep hills on either side of a creek that runs through the trail. I just walk them, it only takes two minutes.
    There is also great road riding all over in the Port Townsend area. Check out these great maps as well.

http://www.ptbikes.org/maps/index.html

the title of this is green river/ interurban

those are great trails! (and flat)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Thanks!

I'll have to check out some of the peninsula stuff for when I have time to really get out of town. My schedule has been so hectic lately that just carving out time to ride has become a challenge. I know I can get at least one full day to myself this weekend, so I'm trying to make the most of it by spending the time with my bike.

I am also interested in the other stuff. I always enjoy finding new trails! Unfortunately, I can't get to the first link but maybe it's my work computer.

I don't know if you could get up to those kind of miles on the Green River/Interurban without going on some roads but I could be wrong. If you go on the Green River, there are some spots where it ends then picks back up. It isn't bad but the first few times I rode it, I couldn't figure out where to pick it back up! It isn't clearly marked.

Hmmm. If you go out next weekend (sunday, in particular because I work saturdays!) I'd be happy to ride them with you

Or, Cedar River Trail, which starts in Renton (by Gene Coulon Park) and runs all the way out to Maple Valley. I think it's 18 miles one way, and you could ride from Auburn Super Mall to the the end of the Interurban, then double back and head for CRT, then back to Auburn Super Mall...

East Hill

(Lurker status...OFF!)

I'm a very new rider myself, and the Green River Trail was my first ride longer than 20 miles, just about a month ago...I really liked it a lot! Compared to the BG Trail, it was practically deserted. I mean, there were plenty of people out enjoying the sunny Saturday, but nowhere near the crowding of the Burke Gilman. I'd only planned to go south halfway or so and turn around, but I was enjoying the river trail so much I went all the way to the intersection with the Interurban for about a 38-mile round trip from my house in Rainier Beach. It's a nice flat ride by the river with quite a few parks along the way...I definitely took my time enjoying the scenery, and will definitely be taking that trail again.

And just this morning on another forum I found a list of southern King County routes that I bookmarked...maybe that will be as useful for you as I hope it will be for me.

Have fun!

I have no problem riding multiple out-and-backs to get in the miles, really. My brain is so comfortable with routine that I don't get bored very easily, especially when I'm on my bike. I did find a map a couple of weeks ago (it's on my laptop at home) that had a route using some combination of those trails and some roads to get in about 64 miles...but I don't remember the details now.

Quote Originally Posted by teigyr View Post
    f you go out next weekend (sunday, in particular because I work saturdays!) I'd be happy to ride them with you
    I can definitely mark next Sunday on my calendar to ride. Let's do it.

Quote Originally Posted by East Hill
    Or, Cedar River Trail, which starts in Renton (by Gene Coulon Park) and runs all the way out to Maple Valley. I think it's 18 miles one way, and you could ride from Auburn Super Mall to the the end of the Interurban, then double back and head for CRT, then back to Auburn Super Mall...
    I'm going to check that out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    I can definitely mark next Sunday on my calendar to ride. Let's do it.
    You got it! I marked it in my calendar also. I'm familiar with some trails but not others, I'm sure we can muddle through ok. Will be an adventure!

What time Sunday? The 24th is the Tour de Pierce, so not this Sunday, but perhaps 1st July?

East Hill

I'm thinking the 1st, I can't do the 24th AND it is supposed to rain Us SoCal natives tend to melt

Am open re the time on the 1st. Dex?

What trail are you two riding on July 1st? I may come if that's ok with you two? Is it the Green River/Interurbarn? Or the Cedar River? I've never been on the Cedar River.

teigyr and I are going to ride the Cedar River Trail this Tuesday (the 26th), but starting at 6.00 am. It looks as if we could do it on the Sunday, July 1st as well. The really early start is not so important for me on the Sunday, so perhaps more like 8.00 am?

I can definitely be on the Cedar River Trail at 8.00 am on July 1, if anyone would like to join me!

The CRT is flat all the way out to Maple Valley. The return trip is made by riding SE Wax Road, turns into SE 240th, then onto my local MUP, the Big Soos Creek Trail. From there down the hill back to Renton. Or, if anyone would rather, perhaps start and finish at BSC? It's about 26 miles for the RT.

East Hill

I would love to join you two but getting me out of bed so early! Where do you park? Inside Gene Coulon Park? I bet it's quiet and peaceful so early in the morning. I will think about this all weekend long now! LOL

Sue, it isn't as difficult as you'd think. I am NOT a morning person but that early is too early to be tired. It's more a dazed feeling but not horrible and the company is certainly charming

Definitely think about it. And to think, you can be home early and have the rest of the day to take naps!