Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    I love the jersey! Out of curiosity, how would you feel about a non-veteran wearing that jersey?

I have a lot of respect for all veterans, and would not want to offend any veterans by wearing that sort of jersey. On the other hand, people wear Discovery jerseys, for instance, out of admiration for the team, not trying to pose as a Disco team member!

What would you think, Zen?
    I can not speak for Zen but as an Aussie who served 12 years in our Airforce I think its fine and a nice compliment to that service.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk View Post
    I can not speak for Zen but as an Aussie who served 12 years in our Airforce I think its fine and a nice compliment to that service.
    Trek, thanks. I was actually thinking it might be a neat way for me to remember my Dad, who died recently, and who was a B-17 pilot in WWII Europe.

(Oops, maybe we are getting off topic...sorry.)
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Trek, thanks. I was actually thinking it might be a neat way for me to remember my Dad, who died recently, and who was a B-17 pilot in WWII Europe.

(Oops, maybe we are getting off topic...sorry.)
    I think that is a lovely way to remember your Dad Starfish.

LOL I think they will forgive us for the thread drift when it was for such a sweet idea.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    I duuno, and trade it for the harassment cops get? I would not want the attention of anyone with a chip on their shoulder towards cops unless the jersey comes with kevlar lining ;-)

My LBS though has one of these jerseys from the Police Unity Tour in his window. He works on the bikes for the local bike cops.
    That's the non-kevlar version. The kevlar version is much hotter and much heavier. It stops some random bullets, but not all and does nothing to stop random acts of stupidity. If people see "POLICE" on a jersey, get used to being flagged down for help & flipped off too. If I do something stupid in that jersey people will generalize it to 'all cops' too, and we certainly don't need any more stereotypes or bad press. Even though it's a really nice jersey, other than 4-5 days in May, I don't wear mine much. I generally prefer a subtle white or loud hi-viz green.

Well, I had to think about this.
    If I didn't know them I would call them a poseur but you've given some very valid reasons. There are people who grew up all their lives in the army so they are in effect veterans too.

Permission granted
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by zencentury View Post
    Permission granted
    Um...do I still have to drop and crank out that 20?
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

For you, ten.
    You can do it.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

We had our public safety director in for a meeting yesterday to review the college's "all hazards emergency operations plan." Mostly we talked about college stuff but we also talked a bit about all that stuff about not "walking like a victim." I think people still tend to think "but I"m not *thinking* like a victim" ... but that doesn't mean that you're not presenting the opportunity to become one...
    ... anyway... I realized as he described how he proceeds in public that an awful lot of those same "body language" things are exactly what I do on the bicycle... basically "be very very PRESENT THANK YOU!!" and interactive with the humans. WHen he added that an effect of this is that people are very frequently greeting him (because that automatic interact-with-you pattern invites it) I realized, "that's what's going on with the bicycle, too!" It's not just being mildly infamous (with my weird bike and occasional airtime for cycling stuff). I realized that yup, the habit has carried over into the way I walk down the hall, too... even if I'm not consciously looking people in the eye, I've just got a more interactive facial expression. In previous jobs, the assorted staff folks I'd pass here and there didn't all greet me, etc... I thought it was the climate here but now I realize that it's probably because I'm behaving differently (and it's why people confuse me for an extravert when I'm really a Very Shy Person who just Walks Around With a Grin.)

Which is a convoluted way of saying that riding safely makes me safer 24-7.

I'm a project engineer for a construction firm. Since I work on a construction site, I get those reflective vests for free. I keep my "spare" vest at home and both my wife and I wear it when riding at night. We also get T-shirts that are bright orange with reflective stripes on them for free.

We've noticed cars give us a little more room when riding. I don't care so much about looking special. I'm 39 years old, have three kids and I've been married to the same woman for 10 years. I care very much about what she thinks about my appearance. If someone else doesn't like it, well, that's on them.

I'm of two minds about auto-morons messing with you. I've been riding since I was 14 and I rode motorcycles a lot when I was younger. So a lot of my self-awareness in traffic is based on being on two wheels, not 4. I ride like I belong in traffic and I follow traffic law (well, most of the time). A little well placed courtesy helps too. I've never been in an accident with a car in 25 years of riding.

I think riding bike paths like the Burke Gilman Trail in Seattle too much kind of hobbles you because you don't develop the skills for blending in traffic.

However. I'm a 5'9" man in decent shape. I've spent 15 years of my life man and boy in the military and I'm currently an Officer in the Army National Guard which means I've been taught to project confidence and, if necessary, a "mess with me and I will rip your head off" attitude. A large scar on my cheek doesn't hurt either.

The take-home lesson. Make yourself visible, act like a motor vehicle in traffic. Act like you can take care of yourself. If some jerk messes with you, think about the nice lady in the mini-van who let you make that left at the light.

do you wear your utili-kilt on the jobsite? I really dig the carhartt-style ones. One of our TE'ers worked at Utili-Kilt.

How about riding in your kilt? I see a few messengers wearing them.

Cars are much nicer to me when I wear my skirts. (I always wear my vest)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I can't wear my kilts to work for safety reasons. Since none of the women wear skirts to work either, I don't take any offense at this. Besides, I'm not sure I want to put up with THAT level of abuse. I work with a great bunch of people, but that would be like cutting open an artery and jumping in with a bunch of hungry sharks. I've got a thick skin but that would require skin of kevlar.

I do, from time to time, ride my bike in a kilt. However, doing so requires wearing something underneath. The options are either putting up with the pleats digging into places you would just as soon not have something digging into (particularly uncomfortable with the thicker material used to make Utilikilts), or having your naked butt against your saddle. Ick.

A pair of boxer briefs suffices if I'm just going to the bar down the street, the store or something like that.

Beyond that a kilt doesn't make sense. Wearing a kilt is a chance to "Let freedom swing" and if I'm wearing cycling shorts to protect my butt from my Brooks (and vice versa), then what's the point.

Somewhere there is a picture of me riding a tall bike (six feet tall at the handlebars) in a kilt. Probably with a beer in my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla View Post
    I'm very fond of the PI Whisper Vest. I just throw it over whatever bike clothes I'm already wearing*, it adds very little warmth or weight. The mesh back is very breezy, and when it's really hot out I just wear unzipped most of the way. Today while sweating up a hill I was thinking that I might even dare to wear it over a sportsbra if it was unbearably hot.
    I have the PI Whisper Jacket (from TE) and it is awesome for being seen... and looking like a huge dork. A huge dork who uses hand signals, no less.

Better dorky than dead, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by boy in a kilt
    Somewhere there is a picture of me riding a tall bike (six feet tall at the handlebars) in a kilt. Probably with a beer in my hand.
    Erm, photo please?

Quote Originally Posted by anaphase View Post
    I have the PI Whisper Jacket (from TE) and it is awesome for being seen... and looking like a huge dork. A huge dork who uses hand signals, no less.
    Heh, I just finally picked up the Whisper jacket last week. It started getting a little too brisk for the Whisper vest, but not quite wet/cold enough for my rainjacket.

Quote Originally Posted by boy in a kilt View Post
    I couldn't find one of you in a kilt, but here's one of you giving Jill a ride on one with an xtracycle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mostirresponsibleyet.2.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	4141

They never really grow-up, do they?

gotta love those reflective sidewall tires!

(nice bike, too! and I see the beer!)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson