Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Little update of my own

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hmmm where to start.....

This update has several pieces:

This comes from prewreck thinking: I was looking at the Madone. It was around $2,500. And I asked on another biking forum about it. A young snobbish cyclist replied that I couldn't have a bike that cost more than my accumulated total of miles ridden so far. While I didn't really take that to heart, I have kept it in the back of my mind. Well, I figure that I have around $3,000 in the Madone after all accessories and such: new helmet, shoes, pedals, water bottle cages, saddle bag, etc.

So, I've had in my mind that 3,000 miles ridden would be when I "earned" the bike. Well, I'm approaching that for 2007 now!!! As of last night, I had 2,648 on Bike Journal. At the end of 2006, my total mileage was a little short of 2,500. So I've doubled my lifetime mileage in the last 6 months.

Well, I've decided that I must make 3,000 by June 30. Let's hope that we have lots of good cycling weather (we need rain so hopefully it will all come at night).

OK, now the other stuff....all this was interrupted last October 1, when one of the men that I was riding with was hit by a car and killed. This experience changed my life.

You can read about it here:

http://www.etsterling.com/sam_wolf-in_memory.html

Since then I have worked with some of his friends to have some Share the Road signs put up. We had three signs put up at the accident site and are working to have 100 more in the area.

Finally, My wreck.....On October 29, while riding a memory ride for Sam, I had a bad wreck, breaking 5 ribs and deflating my lung. I was in the hospital for 10 days. While I was in the hospital, Mr. bought me the new Madone that I had been talking about. I didn't know if I'd ever be able to ride it. It sat in the kitchen for 2 months as I recovered. In late December, I was able to try a few tentative rides. I rode it through January and February with a cast, then a brace on my right arm.

And back to the present.....I still don't feel as strong as I did prior to the wreck but I think that I'm getting there. I still have some rib pain and some shortness of breath. I ride differently now, very cautious, probably unnecessarily so, but I ride in a different comfort zone than others. I've seen things and experienced things that others haven't.

But I feel good! And I love to ride. And I'm so happy that Mr. and Silverson are riding too. Life is good!!!
    "Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong

Excellent.

Great sign!!! Good job on the miles!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I think it is so great that you are riding again. And it sure sounds like you have a lot of support. Mr Silver seems very caring and a good friend for you as well as husband and father.
    I am sure you will in time be as strong as you where befor all this happend. Our bodies are amazing! If we give them a chance they can surprise us.
    I am glad you are here to update us all and let us know how it is going for you .
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Amazing support system!

It sounds like you have a phenomenal support system! And I'm glad you didn't listen to the snobby cyclist who said you couldn't have an expensive bike. Every time I go into my LBS, I expect the guys to be snobby and look down on me and my recreational riding (these guys all race Cat 1/2!) but anytime my husband mentions our "little 40 mile" ride, their eyes light up and they comment on how that's not a "little" ride. That kind of support makes a huge difference!

Kudos to Mr. Silver for his support! And Kudos to you for getting back on the bike! I'm sure that took a lot of courage and determination.

It's been over a year since I cracked my ribs. They mostly don't bother me now. The irritation lessens. I think there will always be a spot that will, on occasion, "not feel right."

Silver, I am so very happy for you. Your words brought tears to my eyes. It's great to *see* you back on your bike and making your goals.
    "The bicycle was the first machine to redefine successfully the notion of what is feminine. The bicycle came to symbolize something very precious to women - their independence."—Sally Fox

Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    A young snobbish cyclist replied that I couldn't have a bike that cost more than my accumulated total of miles ridden so far.
    That person is a total idiot, as you would never, ever be allowed to even start biking. Unless you were given your first bike? Does it count if you are a kid and your parents buy it?

Ridiculous.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Hmmm where to start.....

This update has several pieces:

This comes from prewreck thinking: I was looking at the Madone. It was around $2,500. And I asked on another biking forum about it. A young snobbish cyclist replied that I couldn't have a bike that cost more than my accumulated total of miles ridden so far.
    Good grief. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
    Well, if that's the criteria, than I'll NEVER get that new Seven, because if I hit 2500 miles this year (split between 3 bikes, mind you), that would be a personal best for me. No way. Ride what you like, what you can afford, and what suits the purpose for which you bought it.

Since then I have worked with some of his friends to have some Share the Road signs put up. We had three signs put up at the accident site and are working to have 100 more in the area.

And back to the present.....I still don't feel as strong as I did prior to the wreck but I think that I'm getting there. I still have some rib pain and some shortness of breath. I ride differently now, very cautious, probably unnecessarily so, but I ride in a different comfort zone than others. I've seen things and experienced things that others haven't.

But I feel good! And I love to ride. And I'm so happy that Mr. and Silverson are riding too. Life is good!!!
    Congratulations on your progress - on all fronts!!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I often ponder on how far you have come since your awful accident, and I remember your posts when your riding companion was killed that day- you were in shock. I also marvel at how Mr. Silver has started cycling and how both of you ( and now 3 with son) are packing on the mileage and becoming such a healthy family that does things together. It's all such a huge inspiration to all of us on the forum.
    Keep riding, and keep safe!!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Silver, thank you for sharing that with us. I'm rather choked up--by your own story and Sam's. I'm so glad you're back on your bike and that your family is right there with you. Good for all of you.

Congratulations on your mileage for the year. What an accomplishment!!!! Ride that Madone with pride! You've earned it in any number of ways.

Kate
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Wow! So many inspiring stories here on TE. You and your hubby are both heros to me. I would say that you are more than entitled to your beautiful bike. In any case, leadership which results in safer roads for all cyclists should carry much more "weight" than simply logging in the miles.

Gee, by the mileage/dollar ratio theory, I'm entitled to a new bike! My Raleigh only cost $500 and I've logged more than 1300 miles on it--and have literally ridden the wheels off of it! (I've had to have the back wheel rebuilt). I'll see if I can't appropriate that little bit of dogma and turn it to my favor

Oh, Ladies, I didn't expect this response and reading your replies made me cry. Happy tears!!!!

Thank you all so much for the support that you all have given both of us.

southernbelle: I was told that I'd likely always feel twinges from the bones breaks, possibly only when the weather changed but would feel the breaks from time to time for up to two years. That's OK, I can certainly tolerate this. Just very glad that it doesn't still feel like it did at first! I'm sure you can relate.

Regarding the "earn your bike with miles" challange: I certainly don't believe that you need to do that. And it's comments like that that is the reason that I don't go to that forum again (sorry grammar police, I couldn't think of a better way to say that). But I guess I did accept the challange in a sort of "well, I'll show you that I'm worthy of the bike!" way. And of cause if we can use it to our advantage to justify a new bike then we should go for it!

Thanks all!!!!!!!
    "Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong

Its so wonderful that the crash did not deter you from hopping back a bike... well, onto your new madone...)

And to hear your progress and thoughts from you is super...

Bodies heal, and yours is doing well and am pleased that it is starting to feel almost 'normal' and relatively painfree... well - reduced pain anyways.

I totally understand about being more cautious and riding differently, but this is a good thing. Your silver-tinged family would be at a loss without you, and your experience will have given SilverSon some insight he may not otherwise have had and awareness that crashes do happen and the potential longterm consequences of that.

The best bit of your update???

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

People who tell you that you "can't" ride a certain kind of bike for that kind of reason are just dumb (well, i want to use another word, but can't). I am sure that some think that I don't deserve my Kuota, being a 53 year old fitness rider. I will never be a racer, but, you know what, who cares? My LBS also deals with a lot of serious racers and roadies and they are always nice to me. Maybe it's because I spent good $ on the bike, but we don't really buy much else there because my husband does all of the mechanical stuff and we get most other stuff on line. Today i met a friend for lunch and locked my 10 year old Voodoo Hoodoo up in front of the shop. One of the employees, a younger woman, came out and was "oohing" over the way I had fixed up this bike. She then asked me if i had just had a birthday. I said no, but then I realized she remembered that someone had come in a bought a gift card for someone named Robyn, but he didn't know the last name (it was one of my colleague's husband). He was picking it up, as my students had collected money for this as a retirement gift. She figured out it was for me and put it under my account.
    You've done the same amount of miles that I did all of last year and most people can't even fathom how someone could ride a bike 3,000 miles!

You done good, silver.

It's funny, when I first joined this forum, I had a hybrid bike which, while it was fine, I thought it would be nice to have a road bike.

In one of my first posts here, I mentioned that I was planning on doing the Cinderella metric century in a few months time with my hybrid, after which I would get the road bike. My logic was, if I could do the metric century, then I would "deserve" a road bike (my words).

The ladies on the forum disabused me of that silly notion mighty quickly. I had my first road bike a couple of weeks later.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl