Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Specialized Bar Phat

To disable ads, please log-in.

I want to switch out my bar tape and Specialized's Bar Phat was recommended to me. My preference is to ride on the top of the bars often, so this seems to be a great fit. I can't find it online in dark blue though! Yes it is vain, but I want to change my tape to blue. Anyone know if it is available in blue?

People with Bar Phat- do you like it?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I thought the Phat was available separate from the tape but a quick look at the Specialized site seems to say no. If the tape color is important I'd recommend using the Phat with your favorite tape and the selling the Specialized tape.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Ditto.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I have a Specialized Ruby Comp which came with the bar phat. I love my bar phat and I might not want to ride without it again. Very comfy and it cushions road shock against my hands nicely.

My bike came with white tape which I don't like, and it is getting dirty. I have been wanting to change out to black but haven't done it yet. As HillSlug says it seems you can't get the phat separate according to the website, although I swear I've seen a version of the phat somewhere at a bike shop I was at. Maybe the tape was there and I didn't notice. Get the bar phat "kit" if you want, if you choose black, I'll buy your tape.
    Last edited by mudmucker; 06-16-2007 at 03:39 PM.

See in my post ride daze today I never thought of just buying blue!! I will see if LBS can swing all that. My bike will be going in for a tune up in a week or two.

The shop didn't have the Bar Phat when I was in there the other day and I didn't have enough time to inquire. I just scanned the rack to see only Bontrager in stock and only saw black on the Specialized site.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

JmcG is offline pb&j today and everyday
    I love my bar phat. It came on my Specialized Ruby and just the other week it was time to change handlebar tape (and brake cables and derailleur cables). I wanted a baby blue bar tape, but unfortunately Specialized only sells their Bar Phat with black tape. No other colors. I mentioned this to my LBS owner, and he said - "grab the color tape you want (i.e. whatever tape in my color) and we'll just swap out the black for the color one. We're always low on black bar tape anyway, so not a big deal!" See if your LBS will do it. If not, like someone else said, sell the black. I think Fizik also sells just a bar gel without the tape, but at my LBS it was the same price as the bar phat with tape in it.

I use the Specialized bar phat and love it also. If you can't find the colors you want in their limited selection, you can try the Nashbar's Gel Pads and purchase seperate tape.

You can buy the Fizik bar gel without tape (they also sell it with the tape). I like it as well as the bar phat and then you can buy whatever tape you want!

Check steepandcheap.com as they have had the fizik occasionally. At any rate, it's cheaper retail than the bar phat and there's the whole tape color choice bonus. Have fun!