Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

vancouver island gals??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, any riders on this Island that want to share some good rides the've been on or planning? cheers

Well.....I've been riding Victoria since 1968. Not sure what constitutes a "good ride", although I've sure had some enjoyable ones around here. I'm planning (well...thinking about planning ) riding on some of the southern Gulf Islands. I used to ride on Saltspring Is in the 70's but haven't been back in a while. Galiano would be nice, as would be the Penders, Saturna, and Mayne. We'll see. I need to get back to the west coast with a bike too. Ucluelet - Tofino is a nice ride, and cruising on Long Beach is heaven (albeit hell on the drivetrain).

~Sherry.
    All vintage, all the time.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France
    Kuwahara Sierra Grande MTB
    Bianchi Super Grizzly MTB

Every other weekend...

I bike in Victoria area every other weekend. One of my favorites is the highlands route. I have biked almost all the trails and low traffic roads around Victoria. Would love some ideas for up island as well.

Smile

I just moved to Victoria this spring, and have just started exploring. I bought a book called "Bike Victoria" that I've based a few rides on. I am planning to bike around some of the Gulf islands this summer. I haven't yet gotten very far north. What a gorgeous island this is! I don't think you could plan a bad ride.

Quote Originally Posted by ktbikes View Post
    I just moved to Victoria this spring, and have just started exploring. I bought a book called "Bike Victoria" that I've based a few rides on. I am planning to bike around some of the Gulf islands this summer. I haven't yet gotten very far north. What a gorgeous island this is! I don't think you could plan a bad ride.
    Welcome to the island. Sorry about the weather! We're having a rough Spring; hopefully Summer will smarten up.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France

Organic Islands Festival

Anyone heading out for this? You get discounted admission if you ride your bike.

http://organicislands.ca/

I'll be riding out that way tomorrow. I just might stop in there and have a look.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France

Has anyone here taken just their bike on the Coho between Port Angeles and Victoria? If so, what's that like for the bike, etc. Thanks!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Has anyone here taken just their bike on the Coho between Port Angeles and Victoria? If so, what's that like for the bike, etc. Thanks!

I haven't myself (the passport thing), but some friends of mine do a PA-Sequim ride every year. The take their bikes on the Coho. I can forward your message to them for an answer, or you can try posting at :
    gvcc-members@yahoogroups.com

S.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France

Hey Popoki, thanks! I think you were the one who gave me that forum last time, regarding road routes up to Nanaimo, and I got some great info.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

I posted your message on the GVCC mailing list. As you've found, lots of good info from the members there. Shouldn't be long before someone answers.

S.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France

Replies

Two replies:

"Hi, Sherry!
    In Pt. Angeles, your friend will board the Coho with her bike along
    with all the foot passengers. There is usually no problem with
    customs, as we have carried food, etc., normally banned, in our
    panniers without any concern.
    She'll walk up the ramp within the terminal. Once aboard, she will
    park her bike on the front deck in a pair of gang racks--not the best
    in rough weather unless she locks to the outside (end) of one. Or,
    she can find a fixture on the gunwhale (railing) to attach her bike to.
    At the Victoria end, your friend will leave the ferry via the foot
    passenger ramp and exit through the terminal with everyone else,
    checking with customs on the way through.
    There's a charge for bikes, but it's nominal.
    Happy sailing!"

"You wheel your bike on to the ferry. At the end of the trip, you
    wheel it off. Bikes are stored on the fore deck in a simple rack
    (you park). Take your lock, as untethered bikes can fall over and
    get their wheels twisted."

Hope that helps.

~Sherry.
    Falcon Black Diamond
    Gitane Tour de France

Quote Originally Posted by Popoki_Nui View Post
    Two replies:

Once aboard, she will
    park her bike on the front deck in a pair of gang racks--not the best
    in rough weather unless she locks to the outside (end) of one.

Bikes are stored on the fore deck in a simple rack
    (you park). Take your lock, as untethered bikes can fall over and
    get their wheels twisted."
    ~Sherry.
    This does help. And, having been on the Coho when the salt water was swooshing up over the bow, I'm not thrilled to hear the bikes are on the front, out in the open! Definitely for good weather days only!!

(Thanks all, for putting up with my hijack so politely!)

The Coho

The information everyone has given about the Coho is correct. I take my bike over every other week and have never had a problem. If you put the back wheel in the rack it doesn't move around nearly as much.
    The only comment I wanted to make is that there is another passenger ferry in Port Angeles that takes bikes. It is called the Victoria Express and I had a very bad experience with them. They load your bike for you. When I took the Express from Victoria to Port Angeles my bike was less than a week old. They made me sign a bike waiver stating that they were not responisble for any damages. Well the first thing I noticed when I got my bike back was that both of my water bottles were completely flat. A little odd, but at first I didn't notice anything else. Then as I looked more closely I notice that there were little flecks on my handlebar tape, I thought it was mud, but at closer inspection it was actually paint. Next, I noticed my bar end plugs were missing. Then the worst part was a big chip in the paint. Did I mention my brand new bike was less than a week old? By this time I was already outside the terminal and I had very little time to catch my bus. I knew I had signed the liability waiver, but I figured I would call later and they would at least give me a free ride since I go back and forth so frequently. I called many times, they just kept telling me to call back later and ask for someone else. Eventually, I just gave up. Even though the Express has a better schedule for me, I still take the Coho and tell anyone with a bike not to go on the Express. Honestly, I probably would still take it if I was going without my bike because it is quicker and runs more often, but I would never trust them with my bike again!

What about the ferry that runs from Sidney on the Island? Any experiences?